Mephisto Genetics UPDATED Seed starting advice in real time with slowandeasy

Fair enough. Seems overkill to me but seeds are expensive and you are right, why not take every measure you can to ensure success.

Sounds like you take great care to ensure your seeds are all well taken care of. If you don’t mind me asking, how do you store your seeds? I’m developing a bit of a collection and I’d never really given it any thought. Sorry if it seems like I’ve derailed your thread in any way. Just genuinely curious.

Much simpler is to use your un-gloved fingers to plant seeds into Rapid Rooters, then put the sprouted rapid rooters into soil or hydro.
Easier, and more effective for me, than paper towels and/or rockwool.
These are hardy weed seeds after all, and my fingers have less germs than dirt.

Refrigerator storage in sealed containers (not necessarily airtight) seems to work well.

Thanks for the seed storage advice @Simplicio much appreciated. I was not trying to stir up a debate in @slowandeasy thread and I apologize if that’s what I set into motion. This method works for him, and that’s great. Sharing what has brought you success is cool. I do not wish to hijack this thread or de-rail it in any way. My apologies @slowandeasy

Much simpler is to use your un-gloved fingers to plant seeds into Rapid Rooters, then put the sprouted rapid rooters into soil or hydro.
Easier, and more effective for me, than paper towels and/or rockwool.
These are hardy weed seeds after all, and my fingers have less germs than dirt.

Refrigerator storage in sealed containers (not necessarily airtight) seems to work well.
Whatever works for you. Your fingers have more oils than dirt and can reduce your germ rate from fondling.Rapid rooters are completely unnecessary and overpriced. I am sharing my method, if you don't like it or have a "simpler" way...go start your own thread. And it isn't a Hardy weed we are growing. If you took the time to read the thread you would see that I use these cups of Coco for 7-10 days and transplant. My method will allow the plant to start feeding full strength the first week, which improves growth rate

Last edited:
I’ve started using the cup method also after years of direct pot. Only thing I do is cut a bunch of slots and the bottom out then I place it in another cup and fill with coco. When ready I just slip the cup with slots cut out, out of the solid cup with just a couple drainage holes in it and place in new pot. Last ones after 7 days the large solo cup was about full of roots and had a 7” hanging root when I took it out. They r sailing along in their new homes. Thanks for the thread great advice here folks.

Whatever works for you. Your fingers have more oils than dirt and can reduce your germ rate from fondling.Rapid rooters are completely unnecessary and overpriced. I am sharing my method, if you don't like it or have a "simpler" way...go start your own thread. And it isn't a Hardy weed we are growing. If you took the time to read the thread you would see that I use these cups of Coco for 7-10 days and transplant. My method will allow the plant to start feeding full strength the first week, which improves growth rate

This is a public forum where anyone should be free to comment on any thread without rebuke.

There is no proof that touching seeds harms them in any way. It might even prevent accidents that could happen with the diminished sense of touch that gloves cause.
Rapid rooters are quite cheap, and cost about $0.29 each.
Almost any method can be combined with feeding at any time to get a potential improved growth rate.
Rapid rooter sprouts are hardy weeds, whose seeds needed to be touched only once, and that can stay in the Rapid Rooters til harvest.

This is a public forum where anyone should be free to comment on any thread without rebuke.

There is no proof that touching seeds harms them in any way. It might even prevent accidents that could happen with the diminished sense of touch that gloves cause.
Rapid rooters are quite cheap, and cost about $0.29 each.
Almost any method can be combined with feeding at any time to get a potential improved growth rate.
Rapid rooter sprouts are hardy weeds, whose seeds needed to be touched only once, and that can stay in the Rapid Rooters til harvest.

Rapid rooters are useless for people growing in Coco. To feed any seedling in a rapid rooters it must be transplanted or inserted into your medium. A complete waste of time and money, they are not magic or anything special. Show me people feeding full strength nutes in just rapid rooters without any other medium. No need to COMBINE anything in pure Coco.

There is plenty of proof that the human hand is covered with unwanted essential oils/dirt and any Botanist would absolutely tell you it is not worth the risk of handling seeds barehanded. If you want to do things half assed, that is up to you. If you want to take unnecessary risks, that's up to you. There is ZERO reason to touch a seed with your bare hands. Potential failure is the only reason you need to avoid it. Again, I am sharing my method. 20+ years of growing goes a long way. People that get lazy and cocky fail eventually.

I’ve started using the cup method also after years of direct pot. Only thing I do is cut a bunch of slots and the bottom out then I place it in another cup and fill with coco. When ready I just slip the cup with slots cut out, out of the solid cup with just a couple drainage holes in it and place in new pot. Last ones after 7 days the large solo cup was about full of roots and had a 7” hanging root when I took it out. They r sailing along in their new homes. Thanks for the thread great advice here folks.
That works too. I have no prob just taking the seedling out of the cup. Either way it is faster than Directly potting IMO

Only 2 days later..
IMG_20180420_155636.jpg

As you can see I now have 2 seedlings up, that was about 54 hours since I planted them. I would say that is pretty fast to be up and ready. Even with the toilet paper method you won't have seedlings above ground already. Never once touching the seed. I took a chance doing this in real time for you guys. Only because I know it works!

As you can see I now have 2 seedlings up, that was about 54 hours since I planted them. I would say that is pretty fast to be up and ready. Even with the toilet paper method you won't have seedlings above ground already. Never once touching the seed. I took a chance doing this in real time for you guys. Only because I know it works!

Well it did not work me slow. You could sprout seeds in ant shit on a moon rock, whereas I am so fucking challenged I need the help of rapid rooters. I love them actually, and consider them an excellent value. If I can have an easy way to sprout a $10 seed, which turns in to a $700 plant, for $0.30, I'm in. I do not buy your argument that they are expensive or whatever else you hate about them. If they sucked, the would not be selling.

I think your method is for someone with experience. That's just my humble opinion based on the one try where I drowned 6 beans. I have a new method underway now, and guess what, it uses rapid rooters. Fingers crossed bro. But I'm not confident enough to do a live real time thread thats for sure.

But its great to share ideas slow and you do that in spades on AFN. Helped me out immensely.

Happy freaking 420 bro.

Back