Grow Mediums To Be or Not To Be ...

I just ordered 2 of the new Aqauvalve5 and fittings etc, and four 2.2 gallon pots. I'm excited to get my auto pots going again! I have 12 of the 3.9 gallon pots and bases. I'd say you best have some head room if you want to run the 6.6 gallon pots!
Pop, I remember reading something by you about pot styles (plastic vs fabric). Am I correct that u prefers the hard sided?

That's correct, I've never been convinced that the cloth pots worth using. I understand about the root pruning but they also dry out too fast and I suspect they cause root damage as well as root pruning. In fact, i'm going to start returning to auto pots, they have always been my favored system.

Pop, I remember reading something by you about pot styles (plastic vs fabric). Am I correct that u prefers the hard sided?

Knowing what u autopot users have learned, which size pots & pot styles would you choose? 2.2gal, 3.9gal, 6.6gal, or 5 gal spring pot

I use the 3.9gal, I have not seen the 2.2 or 5gal spring pots for sale local here. I looked online saw you can get propagation domes too for the AutoPots, nice! I don't think I can find them here, even online I don't see the 2.2gal but I am happy with the 3.9, they are a good size for the tent as well.

I ordered the 2.2 galllon pots from autopotsusa.com I got 4 pots and 4 aqauvalve5 and some hardware. Their price for tubing was totally ridiculous! $73.95 for a 100 ft roll! I got it for $31.00

I use the 3.9gal, I have not seen the 2.2 or 5gal spring pots for sale local here. I looked online saw you can get propagation domes too for the AutoPots, nice! I don't think I can find them here, even online I don't see the 2.2gal but I am happy with the 3.9, they are a good size for the tent as well.

I ordered the 2.2 galllon pots from autopotsusa.com I got 4 pots and 4 aqauvalve5 and some hardware. Their price for tubing was totally ridiculous! $73.95 for a 100 ft roll! I got it for $31.00

Oops forgot to say I'm in Canada, so some things are hard to get or you can't get up here :sad:
I looked around more, saw the smaller pots but only as the 2 pot easy2grow, not separate as I see people getting.
No biggie, I just want a store to get the bigger valves in stock up here!

If your stateside, another good spot I found for tubing and AutoPot extras for a good price is bghydro.com

I'm rocking the 3.9gal x4, but using 2 reservoirs; 1 for veg and 1 for flower. :peace:

For me, the 3.9 gal was a waste of half the pot. I mean that the roots were all at the bottom 1/4. I had no roots in the top half. So I am cheap by nature, a nod to @Mañ'O'Green and thought why waste so much coco. I do not re-use my coco. It is used in the garden beds.

As long as you feel good about your set up the ladies will appreciate a warm and welcoming tent.

For me, the 3.9 gal was a waste of half the pot. I mean that the roots were all at the bottom 1/4. I had no roots in the top half. So I am cheap by nature, a nod to @Mañ'O'Green and thought why waste so much coco. I do not re-use my coco. It is used in the garden beds.

As long as you feel good about your set up the ladies will appreciate a warm and welcoming tent.

Very good point. The roots are mostly at the bottom and I do try to salvage as much of the coco that I can because of that. Smaller pots also mean you can fit a couple more girls in the tent!

I just started a run with my reused coco and so far so good. I flushed it until the run off ec read what the tap water ec was. Then I buffered the coco with the first feed water (made extra) a couple days before transplanting from a solo cup.

I think if I were to reuse the coco for a third time, I would do the flush to get the salt buildup out like normal, but adding some worm casings would also be beneficial. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. :biggrin:

Very good point. The roots are mostly at the bottom and I do try to salvage as much of the coco that I can because of that. Smaller pots also mean you can fit a couple more girls in the tent!

I just started a run with my reused coco and so far so good. I flushed it until the run off ec read what the tap water ec was. Then I buffered the coco with the first feed water (made extra) a couple days before transplanting from a solo cup.

I think if I were to reuse the coco for a third time, I would do the flush to get the salt buildup out like normal, but adding some worm casings would also be beneficial. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. :biggrin:
I am far too lazy to re-use the coco. Now that is just me. The top of the 2.2 gal is the same as 3.9 gal, so no extra room gains here.

Thanks for dropping by and adding your :2cents: :goodluck:

Back