Lighting Timber Grow Lights COB Based LED Fixtures

Are MH/HPS days limited with the arrival of Cree CXB3590s and BridgeLux Vero29 ?

• Total voters
oc you can grow monsters with cheap lights.
Main difference is only that u might pay twice as much for power consumption and more for heat extraction and that cheap leds degrade quite quickly in comparison.
For that the initial investion is lower.
One has to look for ROI.

What he is saying in the vid that led is cooler and hps is hotter
-thats not true.
Its all about Efficiency -how power translates into light vs heat. Cheap led lights easily produce more heat than a good hps because they have a low efficiency.
Main difference is how the heat is perceived.
An HPS puts a lot of heat out as heat rays which u can feel e.g. on your hand, while an led heats the heatsink, which translates into radiant heat.

Last edited:
I run a standard 6 inch maxfan/filter Intake/Exhaust with 1700watts LED in a 5x10 with no extra extraction equipment needed.
No bulb change and more efficient
4000K temps are HighRed/HighBlue for comparable MH/HPS- Personally I like my fixtures Cree 3000K 80 style:smoking:
Early2015 in the Lab. Lots Testing for 2 and Developing for the 1 if that makes sense.
GEDC3813.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe work out something with autoflower to stay round for awhile Demonstrate the newest Technology available. Its really about the initial feedback from community.
There is a lot of knowledge Ive gathered over the last couple years that would love to share with everyone

Last edited:
When it comes to leds I am a sponge I will soak up what ever you can teach IndyLED. But I run the same amount of wattage with my cheap leds so where is the savings Xagor pointed out that it would take me twice as much wattage for the same results. I run 1700 true watts in a 4X8 which is granted smaller but I still get well over a gram a watt. You state you run 1700 watts in a 5X10. I know my cheap lights run at around half strength give or take what do the CREE and Bridgelux run at? Will you explain what you mean by 4000K and 3000K I do think it has to do with warmer and cooler colors and no bulb charge I need to know the lingo in order to stay ahead LOL

Last edited:
oc you can grow monsters with cheap lights.
Main difference is only that u might pay twice as much for power consumption and more for heat extraction and that cheap leds degrade quite quickly in comparison.
For that the initial investion is lower.
One has to look for ROI.

What he is saying in the vid that led is cooler and hps is hotter
-thats not true.
Its all about Efficiency -how power translates into light vs heat. Cheap led lights easily produce more heat than a good hps because they have a low efficiency.
Main difference is how the heat is perceived.
An HPS puts a lot of heat out as heat rays which u can feel e.g. on your hand, while an led heats the heatsink, which translates into radiant heat.
So what is not true heat extraction now that is funny you know my grow do you for starters I use a heater 750 watts in the winter to keep my ambient temp at 82 to 84 degrees. The lights have more then paid for them selves and still going strong. I have one three hundred watt cheapy led I bought last year it is still running with no burn outs I bought two more a month ago looks like the same same output. I am going to get a watt reader just to see if it has dropped in wattage. I do believe if you are growing autos and use a 24/7 schedule these lights will last for ages with very little diminishing. I use a 8 inch inline fan and filter to match. I do passive intake in conjunction with a 6 inch inline fan for ventilation. That being said I sill want to learn as much about the workings of a top bin led.

So what is not true heat extraction now that is funny you know my grow do you for starters I use a heater 750 watts in the winter to keep my ambient temp at 82 to 84 degrees. The lights have more then paid for them selves and still going strong. I have one three hundred watt cheapy led I bought last year it is still running with no burn outs I bought two more a month ago looks like the same same output. I am going to get a watt reader just to see if it has dropped in wattage. I do believe if you are growing autos and use a 24/7 schedule these lights will last for ages with very little diminishing. I use a 8 inch inline fan and filter to match. I do passive intake in conjunction with a 6 inch inline fan for ventilation. That being said I sill want to learn as much about the workings of a top bin led.
Good Day and thanks for stopping by
Cree uses a binning system to grade the Emitter for performance so your getting consistent quality within that bin,Bridgelux does not bin therefor is decrepencies in emitter quality.Nothing bad but not as good as cree.Both emitters are reliable and warrantied properly.
I started using 60watt vero18s all the way up to the 120watt Vero29 which IMO the best value LED on the market today.
CXB3590s are a different breed big/bad and do with 100watts what takes vero29 ,120 to do.

3000K is comparable to HPS with the High Reds/LowBlues
4000K is a comparable to running a mixed HPS/MH combo

Peace Friend!

Worked with dlplampsource Demonstration and Grower Support for Osrams factory built IP65 rated ZelionHLs. They are the most advanced mono on the market. Passive with in house Osram drivers and Optics that are unmatched.The 3x2 is 125watts OSLON SSL80s 451s/660s Over Moxie LemonOg
GEDC3934.JPG

GEDC3929.JPG

Zelions are an Extractors dream Light with the Oil Production OSLON 660s bring to the table.

Last edited:
I visited the optics website. The build looks solid and the prices are well reasonable. My problem lies in that I live in Canada so when you convert to US and shipping and duty it sure does raise the price for us poor Canadians. We do not have a TOP BIN led light manufacturer in Canada. The Canadian dollar is like 70 cents American. What do you think about Mars hydro breaking into the TOP BIN market they are offering CREE leds and they have distribution in Canada could you take a look at theirs and give me your opinion on them. Pm if you wish
Cree uses a binning system to grade the Emitter for performance so your getting consistent quality within that bin,Bridgelux does not bin therefor is decrepencies in emitter quality.Nothing bad but not as good as cree.Both emitters are reliable and warrantied properly.
I hope no question is to stupid lol Can you explain what they mean by BIN and how cree uses a binning system to grade the Emitter and then can you explain what exactly an emitter does I realize it emits something but what. In order for me to move forward I need to know the tech talk

Worked with dlplampsource Demonstration and Grower Support for Osrams factory built IP65 rated ZelionHLs. They are the most advanced mono on the market. Passive with in house Osram drivers and Optics that are unmatched.The 3x2 is 125watts OSLON SSL80s 451s/660s Over Moxie LemonOg
View attachment 508551
View attachment 508552
Zelions are an Extractors dream Light with the Oil Production OSLON 660s bring to the table.
So do you use mono in conjunction with COB?
You have seen my COB light what would be the short comings on that light compared to the optic COB here is the paticulars on it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1200w-COB-Reflector-LED-Grow-Light-For-Greenhouse-Plant-Veg-flower-Hydro-Lamp/281864645474?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20131017132637&meid=bdeaf8623579459e9efeb018c0898106&pid=100033&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=281864645474. I would really appreaciate your input

I visited the optics website. The build looks solid and the prices are well reasonable. My problem lies in that I live in Canada so when you convert to US and shipping and duty it sure does raise the price for us poor Canadians. We do not have a TOP BIN led light manufacturer in Canada. The Canadian dollar is like 70 cents American. What do you think about Mars hydro breaking into the TOP BIN market they are offering CREE leds and they have distribution in Canada could you take a look at theirs and give me your opinion on them. Pm if you wish
I hope no question is to stupid lol Can you explain what they mean by BIN and how cree uses a binning system to grade the Emitter and then can you explain what exactly an emitter does I realize it emits something but what. In order for me to move forward I need to know the tech talk

So do you use mono in conjunction with COB?
You have seen my COB light what would be the short comings on that light compared to the optic COB here is the paticulars on it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1200w-COB-Reflector-LED-Grow-Light-For-Greenhouse-Plant-Veg-flower-Hydro-Lamp/281864645474?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20131017132637&meid=bdeaf8623579459e9efeb018c0898106&pid=100033&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=281864645474. I would really appreaciate your input
COB in short is multi arrays on a single LES
the ebay is rebranded low end 660watt from wall pcfans/blowing over heatsinks inferior drivers. I couldn't find the make model emitters used. The emitter spacing is way to close IMO sure that
The optic uses Bridgelux Vero18 and 29s and powered by meanwell which are both high grade components. Nice 1st gen that's little dated now and spacing was off on em.IMO
Binning is determined by efficiency/ lumens @ manufacturers nominal current
As far as the TopBin Cree XTE/XPE! Ive been using in fixtures over a year and now they are affordable now and IMO outdated as far as tech stand point
707TruthBand from April2015 with 150watts TopBin Cree XTE/XPE
IMG_20150601_120705.jpg

Last edited:
I knew my light had a actual draw of 660 watts emitters to close humm things I have to look out for. I still have grown a gram a watt with it at least but I know there is better equipment to be had. The optics lights are the actual draw so they use a full three watts per LED instead of close to half with the leds in my COB? Here is few plants that have grown under my cheap leds pretty impressive too. I can hardly wait to try a top bin light or lights to see what I can produce then PEACE BROTHER PS all autos and grown under 24/7 light regime
IMG_1413.JPG
SDC13945.jpg
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_2152.jpg

Last edited:
Back