Lighting Timber Grow Lights COB Based LED Fixtures

Are MH/HPS days limited with the arrival of Cree CXB3590s and BridgeLux Vero29 ?

• Total voters
Why not simply just run them at lower current -> more efficency = more light per watt power = more yield per watt, less heat, less cooling issues, longer lifespan

Because of higher initial cost and less light penetration would be my guess, otherwise you're right.

Light penetration just means light/umols that hit a specific area.
If you e.g. put a 2nd cob next to the first in close proximity, but both at half the power, penetration would increase due to the higher efficiency and more light output.
Or one could argue if u put 4 in corners, compared to just 2, you have more angles for light to be able to penetrate the canopy, also allowing you to put the light closer. (actually one of the big advantages of led over traditional lighting)

Cost, totally true for DIY. But as for that cxb200 there could be 4x Cobs inside for that steep price (600$), compared to other similar panels.
I think nowadays one best bin cxb3590 is about 55$ for end consumers...

Last edited:
A CXB200 that had 4 50 watt CXB3590s would run in the $800 dollar range compared to CXB200 with 2 emitters for $599. You wouldn't gain only saving couple bucks a cycle on electric cost.

I run 60watt veros 14inches from canopy to get same intensity 100watt CXB3590s do at 24inches and the coverage area is greatly improved being able to run fixture at 24in compared to 14in from 60 watt cobs

I dont know so much about commercial panels and the business behind it.
But PLC CX300 seems much better to me. It has "only" 3070, but they run at higher efficiency than the 3590 in the cx200 and there are 6 of them.
So its cheaper per watt light power you get and it runs more efficient, means more power savings.
Or whats the big advantage of the cx200 over the cx300?

Also in the description it says 200W draw, when the cobs run at 100W and the driver isnt 100% efficient, it should draw more then 200W.

When a lower wattage COB is spaced out the coverage area goes up but intensity goes down.

I dont know so much about commercial panels and the business behind it.
But PLC CX300 seems much better to me. It has "only" 3070, but they run at higher efficiency than the 3590 in the cx200 and there are 6 of them.
So its cheaper per watt light power you get and it runs more efficient, means more power savings.
Or whats the big advantage of the cx200 over the cx300?
3070s are cheap compared to 3590s.
My rec is try a 100watt CXB3590 and 60watt 3070 next to each other in your grow area and tell me what u think when your done. I see it everyday in my grow area for 18months now.
The buds middle/down from 100watt 3590s are much more dense and getting +/- 1.5 gpw. U are right that you save couple bucks a month but plants under my lower wattage cobs are onlys the one lollipopped up more than higher wattage.

Timber Cooling setup is unmatched in the industry at the moment and that should be looked at also
Timber uses 3590s because its cree best
I believe that fixture your referring to only works in 3ftx3ft increments.
CXB200 works in many different configurations

This next week I flushing the CXB200 Blue Dreams with Clearex and let hang 10 days or so then take weight and from my exp with strain. The yield # will be north 300g from 200watt CXB

Back