Lighting Timber Grow Lights COB Based LED Fixtures

Are MH/HPS days limited with the arrival of Cree CXB3590s and BridgeLux Vero29 ?

• Total voters
3070s are cheap compared to 3590s.
Are they really? Actually I think they are about the same in cost/watt if ran at equal efficiency.
Its not like its a different tech...its just a bigger version...

My rec is try a 100watt CXB3590 and 60watt 3070 next to each other in your grow area and tell me what u think when your done
Thats not what I was saying.
In your example it should be 2x 3070 @ 50W in close proximity vs 1x 3590 @ 100W. And the 3070s would easily win. (refering to the cx300 that is cheaper per watt and has more efficiency=light output per watt)

I think saying 3590 is the best is kinda cheap, when you run it at worse conditions than e.g. 3070.
Its only the best at equal watt, e.g. 50W 3070 vs 50W 3590, compareable bin.
"Led power" is a mix of 1. quality of emitters/ led and 2. driving parameters (current and cooling)

Also you can counteract "spaced" with just lowering the light a couple of inches...depending on how spaced they are.

Whats special about the timber cooling?
I know a panel that has massive whooping custom heatsinks for its 3590, so it can run passive.
Thats a reason for me for a bigger pricetag, though im not the biggest advocate of passive cooling.
How do you know and can say your cooling is the best?

What about the 100W per Led of the cx200?
Total draw cant be 200W, because the driver isnt 100% efficent.

Last edited:
@Xagor
I think the intensity is less with more cobs, despite higher efficency.
The problem is the emitter area which is double in case of two cobs. The total ppfd is higher but penetration(light intensity in physics terms) is lower because it's emitted from the double area.
One good solution for lower driven cobs are reflectors.

I think I understand what you are saying.

But, lets say you have 4 cobs at 25W vs 1 cob @ 100W.
If you put the 4 emitters at the exact same height as the single one, their coverage area will increase -depending on how much space is between them, but overall intensity will decrease compared to the single emitter.
-because of what you said.
But as you put the 4 cobs lower, the coverage area will decrease and intensity increases. The closer you put those 3,5cm x 3,5cm Cobs together the less you need to put them lower.
Also in this case you have more angles for light rays to reach lower/mid growth -higher chance light does not get intercepted/blocked by higher growth.
Besides efficiency, I think its actually an advantage overall.
Yeah, reflectors are a good idea.
Can you agree with my POV, or what do you think is wrong with it?

Last edited:
I think what you're saying is right.
Overall I would choose more cobs but have to keep in mind to grow closer to lights and a well spread canopy under them.
My lights are 50W each and I'm very happy with what I see.
If I was searching for a hps replacement(high intensity) I think I'd go for Timber's approach, more W per led instead of just 50W. And then again growroom height can become a problem because of the minimal distance of plants...
The options are many and grow styles must be adapted for every option to get the best results.

I wouldn't go lower than 50W/cob for flowering, especially sativas.

Are they really? Actually I think they are about the same in cost/watt if ran at equal efficiency.
Its not like its a different tech...its just a bigger version...

Thats not what I was saying.
In your example it should be 2x 3070 @ 50W in close proximity vs 1x 3590 @ 100W. And the 3070s would easily win. (refering to the cx300 that is cheaper per watt and has more efficiency=light output per watt)

I think saying 3590 is the best is kinda cheap, when you run it at worse conditions than e.g. 3070.
Its only the best at equal watt, e.g. 50W 3070 vs 50W 3590, compareable bin.
"Led power" is a mix of 1. quality of emitters/ led and 2. driving parameters (current and cooling)

Also you can counteract "spaced" with just lowering the light a couple of inches...depending on how spaced they are.

Whats special about the timber cooling?
I know a panel that has massive whooping custom heatsinks for its 3590, so it can run passive.
Thats a reason for me for a bigger pricetag, though im not the biggest advocate of passive cooling.
How do you know and can say your cooling is the best?

What about the 100W per Led of the cx200?
Total draw cant be 200W, because the driver isnt 100% efficent.
I am sure CX grows real good.
I haven't seen any plants that its grown yet.
I can tell ya Timber CXB200 get 1.5 + GPW And Oil Production and Density are there with the High Red 3000K Emitters
Total wattage draw is between 208 to 216 from wall depending on if its run 120 or 240V
Removing the heat the best is doing it the fastest and forced air removes heat much faster than pc fans blowing over heatsinks with vented cases.
And the reason I say this is because Ive used many mant different brands from past and can tell ya operating temps very a bunch between manufacturers. Cooliance is very well respected in the game and advised during the design phase Timbers

Last edited:
CXB200 44% efficiency
CXB3590 3000K, best bin CB @ about 100W -> 39,6% Efficiency. Driver Meanwell about maybe 94% -> 37,44% total. Not even acounting for loss by lenses and fans and fandriver efficiency.
How do you get to 44%?

I
haven't seen any plants that its grown yet.
Im sure you know greengenes garden, dont you ;)

and about 1000 growreports on RIU with 3070 @ 50W...

Last edited:
CXB3590 3000K, best bin CB @ about 100W -> 39,6% Efficiency. Driver Meanwell about maybe 94% -> 37,44% total. Not even acounting for loss by lenses and fans and fandriver efficiency.
How do you get to 44%?

I
Im sure you know greengenes garden, dont you ;)

and about 1000 growreports on RIU with 3070 @ 50W...

Now its all making sense. A green genes fan:thumbsup:
Are u insecure about CX300 like he is.
Just make sure u put it close enough to canopy because evey pic I see its like 24inches from canopy which is a joke. I would love to see the buds middle down from CX300
Lanky plants from 50watters when u puttem that far away.
and 2 50 watt cobs don't have same intensity as a single 100 watt COB. because when they are spaced even a little intensity goes down.
I think I am gonna buy a CX300 and do a grow with it and tear it down to show the insides to people
I only see 2 CX300 in the video and they look to be covering less than 3x3. Is this true? The CX300 looks to be only covering 6 to7 squareft in the picture instead of the 9 to 10sqft that PLC says the CX300 covers during flower. I see a bunch of DIY in the video , but the 2 cx300s are not covering 18 to 20sqft like PLC rec them . The first 5 sec of the video is only time u can see the fixtures over the plants.
Whats the CX300 wattage draw? 320?Are there 320grams under each CX300 in the video. He will be lucky to get 1gpw from that grow. Whats he have 2 plants in 5 gallon pots under 320watts
Maybe someone can help ole GG out with his Coco skills also,because soil just isn't gonna do it for the GPW #s
Ha,Ha
BTW
Move on, beat it from my thread Bait
Make sure u tell GG that u were the one to get his PLC bought, tore down and exposed for what it is.
Ha,Ha. He gonna love this!

Last edited:
Its done.
I just ordered A CX300 from PLC and now everyone in the world can see them side by side and also show the different build quality from each other. Interior pics are the ones I wanna show:vibe:
This will actually be fun. Now I wonder how long it will take to arrive.
The more I look at CX300 the more it looks like a Heavenbright.com Mothership. Did PLC clone the mothership?
Damn the more I look at these fixtures the more it looks like Johnstons COB Grow Lights. Damn they all look alike.
That's not good for business. I would much rather buy a CX-6 from Johnstongrowlights than PLC 300 after looking at vented china looking ones. There just throw aways. And I say that because after 4 or 5 grows? U throw them away..

Last edited:
Here is some that Sweet Mango HSO Green Crack Grown With High Powered 90 Watt Bridgelux Vero29s 3000K In Coco/Perlite With Botanicare Pure Blend Pro With all The Sups
IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3118.JPG

I cant wait to get this PLC.
I really don't have the time,but will make an exception for this..
Then I am gonna send it back, and gladly pay the restock

Back