Outdoor The trails and tribulations of a first time grower [journal]

Yes, I think so too. It was damaged a little by cats probably during the night, and then the following day was really hot and it got burned.
I guess the only way to know if it has stunted her growth much, is to see how tall she gets!
The other plants I had growing indoors for 2 to 3 weeks, but I think I moved the older Think Different out to full soil too late and this caused her to stay small. She was growing really well in her pot on the south facing window sill.
That is why I didn't want to take that risk again. I acclimatised the new one to outside for a couple of days too, and she was really happy in her pot outside. She was out in hot weather, but never saw her slouching or stressing. I even let her outside for 2 nights before planting her in full soil, just to see how she reacted. But I think she got burned because she got a little damaged by the cats and then could not take up enough water to hydrate in the hot weather because of that damage. This incident was 2 days ago, and luckily yesterday and today are cool with clouds and rain this last night and this morning, so she can recover. I will see how she reacts to the sun when it starts shining again.

Cats! Back in the day, I have a big planter full of seedlings.
Maybe 10-15 nice young plants almost a month old.
Was going to plant out in the forest... until... my cat went to sleep on them...........
Then my papa pulled them........ from bad to worse....... :p
Could maybe set up a mini shade cloth over them for a bit, while they're still small.
Just over the top, to block midday heat, but let sun in from the sides morning and evening.
I'm sure they'll be okay.

Secret is... plant more seeds, grow more plants,
and if you lose a few, it's not a big problem, haha.

Cats! Back in the day, I have a big planter full of seedlings.
Maybe 10-15 nice young plants almost a month old.
Was going to plant out in the forest... until... my cat went to sleep on them...........
Then my papa pulled them........ from bad to worse....... [emoji14]
Could maybe set up a mini shade cloth over them for a bit, while they're still small.
Just over the top, to block midday heat, but let sun in from the sides morning and evening.
I'm sure they'll be okay.

Secret is... plant more seeds, grow more plants,
and if you lose a few, it's not a big problem, haha.
Ah, that's an awful story!

Yes, more seeds is the way. Only, I already have 4 plants in my backyard, and I live in the city,so.... We are only allowed 1 plant here, so I'm already on (or over) the edge. That being said, I was looking at dinafem and sweet seeds today... Tempted to order some....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ah, that's an awful story!

Yes, more seeds is the way. Only, I already have 4 plants in my backyard, and I live in the city,so.... We are only allowed 1 plant here, so I'm already on (or over) the edge. That being said, I was looking at dinafem and sweet seeds today... Tempted to order some....

Okay, now I see why you would prefer one big plant, rather than a number of smaller ones.
The TD has a few weeks left.
Why not start a photo plant, or a "fast version" plant, aiming to crop in September?
Both Dinafem and Sweet have these.
Dinafem just brought out the "Quick Critical" recently, and Sweet has a lot of fast version strains.
Smoke the Think over summer, and prepare for a big harvest in the fall.

Okay, now I see why you would prefer one big plant, rather than a number of smaller ones.
The TD has a few weeks left.
Why not start a photo plant, or a "fast version" plant, aiming to crop in September?
Both Dinafem and Sweet have these.
Dinafem just brought out the "Quick Critical" recently, and Sweet has a lot of fast version strains.
Smoke the Think over summer, and prepare for a big harvest in the fall.
That is exactly the plan.
Long photo period check!
She 's a northern lights of 9 weeks and 6 days old. I know nothing of her genetics. I'm keeping her in a pot just to prevent her from growing too big.
141ab5ead0c01b699f0352ce870d4976.jpg

First brown pistils are visible on the think different. Do you start checking the trichomes when all pistils are brown?
c0bd576bdc5d361fa46e740fd5c82cbe.jpg
f1c0f8ef8817f94175741a4ed584dd2d.jpg

I’m sure some of the more experienced growers will chime in but if you haven’t seen this thread yet it provided me with a great rundown on when to start checkin trichomes:

https://www.autoflower.org/threads/when-to-harvest-autos-your-leaves-will-tell-you.4889/

Another good read:
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/the-life-cycle-of-auto-flowering-cannabis.5113/

Last edited:
I’m sure some of the more experienced growers will chime in but if you haven’t seen this thread yet it provided me with a great rundown on when to start checkin trichomes:

https://www.autoflower.org/threads/when-to-harvest-autos-your-leaves-will-tell-you.4889/

Another good read:
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/the-life-cycle-of-auto-flowering-cannabis.5113/
Yes, have read it in the past, but rereading it again now. Thanks for the link!

Eventful update, dear readers! First, a little recap: I have 3 plants in my garden, 2 of which I have spoken of in this journal, the Think Different and Frisian Dew. 10 weeks and 3 days ago, I also germinated a couple of seeds I found in some weed that was given to my by a friend. It was auto northern lights and somehow either hermied or produced seeds because it was left out too long.
One of these seeds was female and is now in a pot in my garden and almost 2m tall. I'll come back to this one later.
My Think different is going along nicely: calyxes are swelling up nicely, and the pistils are slowly turning brown. A couple of weeks more, I recon.
The "problem" is my other plant, the Frisian Dew. She is now 7 weeks and 5 days, and still not flowering. So, yesterday I checked again, and the reason is very simple. I ORDERED THE WRONG SEEDS!! Can you imagine that!! Such a stupid noob mistake!! I by accident ordered the photo period feminised seeds instead of the autoflowering ones. I feel so stupid. So now I have a problem: the frisian dew will not flower until september, and by then it will grow into a tree rather than a plant. She is in full soil, remember. Right now, she is already over 1m tall. So something has to be done, otherwise the whole neighborhood will smell and she will stand out too much in my garden. I already read about light deprivation, which for me would involve covering her every evening to ensure she only gets less than 12 hours of sunlight and starts to bloom. The problem is, you have to do it every night without skipping, or she will start growing again if you skip a night. What would happen if you would succesfully trigger flowering, and than don't cover her to get a max of 12h daylight?
Another solution is topping her to keep her small and manageable. If you do this enough, will this trigger flowering early because of stress? I really don't have experience with this, so any help would be much much appreciated....

And so we arrive to the 2m tall bagseed-turned-beautiful lady I spoke of earlier. I noticed yesterday what I think is the beginning of flowering. Could this be? Could she be a really slow autoflower? Does something like that even exist? Or is she also just a regular photo period plant and does flowering take a looong time? The space between her nodes are long, her leaves long and thin with 3 to 5 long, thin fingers. She is not bushy at all (for now). I have taken some pictures of what I think are her beginning budsites. I will post them in the next entry just below. Anyone any thoughts on her?

Here are those pictures of the unidentified plant. Probably some cross with auto Northern lights, 10 weeks and 3 days old.
9925147e5acd5f2d99ae123ec6b41a51.jpg
ac4a6be4583a2ec68d685219fd0ba1ff.jpg
9d925edb4fe8037500233732e11e8e72.jpg

Back