Outdoor The trails and tribulations of a first time grower [journal]

Hi Ken,

how are things?

Hi Ken,

how are things?
Hi man. Sorry for the delayed response, was on holiday. I've been feeding the photo period frisian dew some bio bizz bloom nutes, as it needs p and K. We, as you I suppose, are having a romper of a summer here. Already 6 straight weeks with temps of 28°C and above, no rain and sunshine almost from dusk till dawn. This week we are expecting 34°C and more for at least a couple of days. I think this is actually part of the problem:the soil is so dry and gets flushed with water all the time. @Waira says I need apk booster and it seems so,so I'm looking at some plagron green sensation, which seems to be the thing I need. I can't brew tea, but molasses also seem to work wonders with others. Can I just use the molasses you find in a supermarket?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hm, i wouldn't use it from the market, better a quality product, i used the pk booster from green buzz liquids last year and i was satisfied. We also have a blasting summer this year and the heat wave comes today up the next 2 weeks, lots of water to carry out...

Hi all, it's been a while with the holidays and broken collar bone and what not... So I though of a little update/conclusion.
All in all, I germinated about 12 plants this season. Most of them were bagseeds I found in an autoflower from a friend. There were a lot of males, and some females I lost out in the woods due to animals and snails. I did keep one in a pot in my garden, which is now about 2 meters tall and flowering nicely. The weird thing is: it grew like a photoperiod plant, with a long growing peroid, and than it started flowering, independent of the hours of sunlight, like an autoflower. It is like it is an autoflower at 1/5 the speed of a normal autoflower. Right now, the calyxes are starting to swell here and there, and the pistils are turning brown. I have no idea when it will be finished, but if I had to guess seeing how long she is flowering, I'd guess another 3 to 4 weeks until she is ready.

I also germinated 2 photo period Dutch Passion frisian dews. One is in my garden in full soil, she is 15 weeks and 4 days. She had some problems with the heat and drought we have been getting here. Some of her leaves were turning white at the tips, and she is taco'ing like hell. As some of you told me, in the infirmary for sick plants, that she needed some P and K, I gave her biobizz organic bloom nutes for about 2 weeks. She is now doing better. She still has the white tips, but they are not spreading, and she is starting pre-flower as of last week. I also noticed she is praying to the sun again, despite the taco leaves. Surely this is a good sign. More news on her will follow later, when we are later in the flowering stage.

Lastly, I am growing 2 Dutch Passion Think Different's, and a third I have already harvested. All were germinated in pots, kept inside for about 2 weeks and than moved to full soil, outside in the garden after a period of acclimatising to the outside. The first one, I transplanted. For the 2 others, I used the insta-transplant method described on this forum. I've had a few problems with all 3 plants, however. The first one was probably stressed a bit due to the transplant. This plant overcame this and grew to 48cm tall, which is not tall at all. I managed to get a wet harvest of 160gr off this plant. When dried in a tent, and cured in glass jars, I ended up with 35gr dry herb. I think, because of the heat and dryness of the air, the flowers dry too fast, but the stems take their time. So by the time I could break the stem, the flowers were already too dry, I think.
The other 2 both got uprooted by cats early in their life. The first one, which is now 10 weeks, is also 50cm tall and recovered well. It has thick collas and will probably end up with about 40 to 45gr of dried herb. The second and last plant got uprooted twice and hasn't recovered so well. It is a mini bonsai cannabis plant and will yield popcorn.
All in all, I am happy with the Think Different. I had no problems with diseases, fungus, mold, etc... and no deficiencies during the grow. I must say, however, that I think this variety is more geared toward indoor growing, with lots of light. 2 of my plants didn't get over 50cm, the 3rd is even smaller at 20cm or so. I think in order to have a really good yield, this variety needs to be planted straight in their final container and have 24/24 light during the growing stage, which was slap bang 4 weeks with every plant. Any small hiccup during the growing phase will result in a small plant, as the genetics are so stable. It will grow 4 weeks, the stretch is another 2 weeks in which it will grow about 1/3 of the height before the stretch. And it will be ready in 12 weeks, no matter what.

I'm already researching seeds for next year. I want to have fewer plants, but they have to grow bigger in order to have more budsites. And I want to try flavours like blueberry and such. Which seedbanks do you recommend? I was thinking Mephisto and Dinafem auto's for outdoors...

Hi all, it's been a while with the holidays and broken collar bone and what not... So I though of a little update/conclusion.
All in all, I germinated about 12 plants this season. Most of them were bagseeds I found in an autoflower from a friend. There were a lot of males, and some females I lost out in the woods due to animals and snails. I did keep one in a pot in my garden, which is now about 2 meters tall and flowering nicely. The weird thing is: it grew like a photoperiod plant, with a long growing peroid, and than it started flowering, independent of the hours of sunlight, like an autoflower. It is like it is an autoflower at 1/5 the speed of a normal autoflower. Right now, the calyxes are starting to swell here and there, and the pistils are turning brown. I have no idea when it will be finished, but if I had to guess seeing how long she is flowering, I'd guess another 3 to 4 weeks until she is ready.

I also germinated 2 photo period Dutch Passion frisian dews. One is in my garden in full soil, she is 15 weeks and 4 days. She had some problems with the heat and drought we have been getting here. Some of her leaves were turning white at the tips, and she is taco'ing like hell. As some of you told me, in the infirmary for sick plants, that she needed some P and K, I gave her biobizz organic bloom nutes for about 2 weeks. She is now doing better. She still has the white tips, but they are not spreading, and she is starting pre-flower as of last week. I also noticed she is praying to the sun again, despite the taco leaves. Surely this is a good sign. More news on her will follow later, when we are later in the flowering stage.

Lastly, I am growing 2 Dutch Passion Think Different's, and a third I have already harvested. All were germinated in pots, kept inside for about 2 weeks and than moved to full soil, outside in the garden after a period of acclimatising to the outside. The first one, I transplanted. For the 2 others, I used the insta-transplant method described on this forum. I've had a few problems with all 3 plants, however. The first one was probably stressed a bit due to the transplant. This plant overcame this and grew to 48cm tall, which is not tall at all. I managed to get a wet harvest of 160gr off this plant. When dried in a tent, and cured in glass jars, I ended up with 35gr dry herb. I think, because of the heat and dryness of the air, the flowers dry too fast, but the stems take their time. So by the time I could break the stem, the flowers were already too dry, I think.
The other 2 both got uprooted by cats early in their life. The first one, which is now 10 weeks, is also 50cm tall and recovered well. It has thick collas and will probably end up with about 40 to 45gr of dried herb. The second and last plant got uprooted twice and hasn't recovered so well. It is a mini bonsai cannabis plant and will yield popcorn.
All in all, I am happy with the Think Different. I had no problems with diseases, fungus, mold, etc... and no deficiencies during the grow. I must say, however, that I think this variety is more geared toward indoor growing, with lots of light. 2 of my plants didn't get over 50cm, the 3rd is even smaller at 20cm or so. I think in order to have a really good yield, this variety needs to be planted straight in their final container and have 24/24 light during the growing stage, which was slap bang 4 weeks with every plant. Any small hiccup during the growing phase will result in a small plant, as the genetics are so stable. It will grow 4 weeks, the stretch is another 2 weeks in which it will grow about 1/3 of the height before the stretch. And it will be ready in 12 weeks, no matter what.

I'm already researching seeds for next year. I want to have fewer plants, but they have to grow bigger in order to have more budsites. And I want to try flavours like blueberry and such. Which seedbanks do you recommend? I was thinking Mephisto and Dinafem auto's for outdoors...

Interesting Ken, be good to see some pics? :eyebrows:

Here's the 2nd think different, 10 weeks old and about 50cm. I can't seem to get them to grow bigger for some reason. I think it's to do with the soil. Maybe the get stressed when they get to fill soil, which is different from the potting soil I use to germinate. Or the chicken shit pellets I add are too rich for the seedlings... Could be any number of things. I'll post pictures of the other ones I have later, I haven't snapped them in a while so will do tomorrow.
605817f8f7adc9bfc5ed17ac88954250.jpg
a96127758650a5c9a4e7ce5c3912eea3.jpg
0a61a8b1af307867d739b0b8e1ae99c4.jpg

Found these from a few days ago. The first picture had the frisian dew in the foreground and the bagseed weird plant in the back. The other picture is of the mini bonsai think different.. 3rd picture is of the frisian dew praying in the heat and the last picture with my arm is of the main colla of the weird bagseed plant.
ca219362473c06b73a0f26421b26a599.jpg
115021e769406a4d157d64b4b18b794e.jpg
a8b306d5a18eea448742b0f7a7dca3df.jpg
7a2816a7fb485d21cd6544211e491aab.jpg

Some nice bud there mate, personally I dont think you get great yields with autos outside.

Might just be they cannot develop further genetically, and nothing to do with lack of skill on your part.

Some nice bud there mate, personally I dont think you get great yields with autos outside.

Might just be they cannot develop further genetically, and nothing to do with lack of skill on your part.
I am lead to believe that getting good yields from autos outdoor is all in the first 30 days of growth 912GreenSkell gets some great yields off autos outdoor, I am hoping to be able to get a quarter pounder this summer outdoor i think it's very achievable. Try starting them inside if possible

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

I started the autos indoors and moved them outside in to the ground they got a great start , transplanting might have slowed down a couple as it is quite far from where they were . They reached around 30 - 50 cm after stunted but the rest are 60 - 110+ cm , worth documenting it seemed the Sensi Seeds strains grew taller as some include Super Autos and the short ones are Dutch Passion strains like Auto Duck which are all identical height so take from that what you will :toke::rofl:

Back