Photoperiod The landrace talk

How long does Cannabis need to be grown/grow wild, to be considered a landrace? I'd think once a population has become stabilized and grown in a specific area, htat is considered a landrace. I wonder how many years it takes? From what I see from breeding canna, by F5 or F6, a population should become stable, so lets say 10 years minimum. 20 wouldbe better as a base I suppose. And in that amount of time, you'll not only see a stable crop, you'll see the adaptations the strain has made. Ducksfoots is an eqautorial strain. Yet the local strain now flowers in 8-10 weeks vs 10 - 14 for Australian Ducksfoot. The leaf shape is slightly more rounded and smoother scallops on the leaf edges. Its too bad the local idoits lost their males, They spent so much time cloning vs growing out a crop, they lost the last male about 4 years ago, so all thats left are clones. I Finally found seed for sale and the pic if it looked more like my strain than Wally Duck's. I've got a pollinated clone right now, heavy with seed! So I've at least salvaged the local genetics and will backcross a couple to get as close to our local duck as I can. I have clones of the clone lol!

Now I swear that I hadn't seen this specific write up when I was writing. It must be a consensus in botany in general, but they were my own opinion when I posted them.

This is just wikipedia, but it should provide some direction:

Characteristics
General features that characterize a landrace may include:
  • It is morphologically distinctive and identifiable (i.e., has particular and recognizable characteristics or properties), yet remains "dynamic".
  • It is genetically adapted to,and has a reputation for being able to withstand,the conditions of the local environment, including climate, disease and pests, even cultural practices.
  • It is not the product of formal (governmental, organizational, or private) breeding programs, and may lack systematic selection, development and improvement by breeders.
  • It is maintained and fostered less deliberately than a standardized breed, with its genetic isolation principally a matter of geography acting upon whatever animals that happened to be brought by humans to a given area.
  • It has a historical origin in a specific geographic area, usually it will have its own local name(s), and will often be classified according to intended purpose.
  • Where yield (e.g. of a grain or fruit crop) can be measured, a landrace will show high stability of yield, even under adverse conditions, but a moderate yield level, even under carefully managed conditions.
  • At the level of genetic testing, its heredity will show a degree of integrity, but still some genetic heterogeneity(i.e. genetic diversity).
Not every source on the topic enumerates each of these criteria, and they may be weighted differently depending on a given source's focus (e.g., governmental regulation, biological sciences, agribusiness, anthropology and culture, environmental conservation, pet keeping and breeding, etc.). Additionally, not all cultivars agreed to be landraces exhibit all possible landrace characteristics. Plant landraces have been the subject of more intensive study, and the majority of the academic literature about landraces is focused on agricultural botany, not animal husbandry. Most plant landraces are associated with traditional agricultural systems.

While many landrace animals are associated with farming, other domestic animals have been put to use as modes of transportation, as companion animals, for sporting purposes, and for other non-farming uses, so their geographic distribution may differ. For example, horse landraces are less common because human use of them for transport has meant that they have moved with people more commonly and constantly than most other domestic animals, reducing the incidence of populations locally genetically isolated for extensive periods of time.

2005, a "working definition" of plant landraces was proposed: "a dynamic population(s) of a cultivated plant that has historical origin, distinct identity and lacks formal crop improvement, as well as often being genetically diverse, locally adapted and associated with traditional farming systems". Another definition, dating to 1975, of the term landrace as used in botany (and by extension in agriculture, horticulture, anthropology, etc.) was provided by J. R. Harlan:

"Landrace populations are often highly variable in appearance, but they are each identifiable morphologically and have a certain genetic integrity. Farmers usually give them local names. A landrace has particular properties or characteristics. Some are considered early maturing and some late. Each has a reputation for adaptation to particular soil types according to the traditional peasant soil classifications, e.g. heavy or light, warm or cold, dry or wet, strong or weak. They also may be classified according to expected usage; among cereals, different landraces are used for flour, for porridge, for 'bulgur', and for malt to make beer, etc. All components of the [plant] population are adapted to local climatic conditions, cultural practices, and disease and pests."

"But most important, they are genetically diverse. They are balanced populations – variable, in equilibrium with both environment and pathogens and genetically dynamic".

Development
Landrace plants are grown from seeds which have not been systematically selected and marketed by seed companies, nor developed by plant breeders. The label landraces includes all those regional cultigens that are highly heterogeneous, but with enough characteristics in common to permit their recognition as a group.
This includes all cultigens cultivated without any specific nomenclature and value. A landrace identified with a unique feature, and selected for uniformity over a period of time for maintenance of the characteristic features of the population, can evolve into a "farmers' variety", or even a modern cultivar as in many crops (for example, Cajanus cajan 'Maruti' in the case of pigeon peas).

Conversely, a modern cultivar grown over time can "evolve" into a landrace, especially when self-seeded and some human selection is applied.

Conservation efforts
A "significant proportion" of farmers around the world continue to grow landrace crops.However, as industrialized agriculture spreads, cultivars, which are selectively bred for high yield, rapid growth, disease and drought resistance, and other commercial production values, are supplanting many landraces, putting more and more of them at risk of extinction.

Using Europe as an example, data collected for an agricultural study published in 2008, showed that landrace cereal crops began to decline in Europe in the 19th century with selective seed improvements, and continued with varietal improvement in the 20th century, such that cereal landraces "have largely fallen out of use" in Europe. Landrace cultivation in central and northwest Europe was almost eradicated by the early 20th century, due to economic pressure to grow improved, modern cultivars. While many in the region are already extinct, some have survived in commercial European farming by being passed from generation to generation of farmers, and have also been revived by enthusiasts outside Europe to preserve European "agricultural and food heritage" elsewhere. These survivals are usually for specific uses, such as thatch, and traditional European cuisine and craft beer brewing. Systematic preservation efforts for these cereal strains are ongoing, in situ and in online-searchable germplasm collections (seed banks), coordinated by Biodiversity International and the National Institute of Agricultural Botany (UK). However, more may need to be done, because plant genetic variety, the source of crop health and seed quality, depends on a diversity of landraces and other traditionally used varieties. Efforts (as of 2008) were mostly focused on Iberia, the Balkans, and European Russia, and dominated by species from mountainous areas. Despite their incompleteness, these efforts have been described as "crucial in preventing the extinction of many of these local ecotypes".

:drool::yoinks:Some nice reads!
Look at what's happening in the Philippines, trying to eliminate cannabis altogether. It's super important for the genetic diversity of the plant that we maintain these breeding lines in the face of prohibition.

Plus the smoke is amazing, grew a Purple Haze x Meao Thai from Ace that took like 24 weeks to flower. Simply epic. 100% worth the wait.

pht1-jpg.334154
Day 146

The bubbles you see are not oxygen..it's gases trapped in the soil, most likely ammonia that is bubbling up. Or even perhaps a major ph difference between the water and soil is causing a reaction. The plants are only smaller, since they look healthy, because a 250 watt cfl is not much light for a 1 month old auto, its already starting to preflower. You can feed it all you want, but that in itself will not make the plants grow big..they need more light! Good luck on your grow!

Thats a Sativa! 24 weeks...

I did a favor for a friend, who returned the favor, by asking his friend for a favor. I wad gifted these beans and one hell of a back story on them, as a thank you! Based on the story and tge source, I beleive them to be legit. Supposedly these were started in fields back in the late 70's and the lineage has been kept alive ever since by the same guy. Would you consider the H.O.G. strain to be landrace strain? If so, these are my first landrace beans!
Screenshot_2017-06-01-16-42-00.png

I did a favor for a friend, who returned the favor, by asking his friend for a favor. I wad gifted these beans and one hell of a back story on them, as a thank you! Based on the story and tge source, I beleive them to be legit. Supposedly these were started in fields back in the late 70's and the lineage has been kept alive ever since by the same guy. Would you consider the H.O.G. strain to be landrace strain? If so, these are my first landrace beans!View attachment 758269
Highland Oaxacan was one of the landraces that DJ Short Used as a building block for multiple strains. Nice gems there. Stop by from time to time and let us see how they do.

I did a favor for a friend, who returned the favor, by asking his friend for a favor. I wad gifted these beans and one hell of a back story on them, as a thank you! Based on the story and tge source, I beleive them to be legit. Supposedly these were started in fields back in the late 70's and the lineage has been kept alive ever since by the same guy. Would you consider the H.O.G. strain to be landrace strain? If so, these are my first landrace beans!View attachment 758269
Bro, you indeed do have some very real Mexican Sativa land races in your possession. . You would be very wise to do an open pollination seed run with these. One of the more rare Sativa land races. Please help keep this land race from disappearing, like so many others.

Enjoy, and peace.

Highland Oaxacan was one of the landraces that DJ Short Used as a building block for multiple strains. Nice gems there. Stop by from time to time and let us see how they do.
Interesting trivia that I did not know. Would also be interested to know what strains that DJ Short used this strain in as a building block in?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
@StickMan. This is what we have complements of resident verified online accessible germplasm vendor.
DJ Short's Blueberry Cannabis strain is without a doubt one of the most exquisite and colorful cannabis hybrids available in seed form today. The history of the strain takes us back to the West Coast of the United States sometime during the 1970’s, where a breeder named DJ Short was working on a multitude of exotic landrace sativas from places like Colombia, Panama, Mexico and Thailand. He was growing up to 100 plants at the time, both indoors and outdoors, on constant lookout for desirable traits in the individuals. Needless to say, he sampled a great number of plants until he found what he was looking for. In his own words, one plant out of one hundred grown carried the traits that he was looking for and then there was still the complicated matter of working with plants that are naturally prone to hermaphroditism, like most pure sativas are to some degree. His efforts would eventually yield fruit and give birth to some of the most highly regarded strains in the world today.

His extensive research led him to the discovery of two very special sativas. According to the master breeder himself, the first plant was a highly potent all-around champion, “Juicy Fruit” Highland Thai female. It packed a very sweet tropical punch and an intense high that lasted for many hours. The second plant was a Purple Thai out of Oregon, Ohio. This plant was a cross between an outstanding Highland Oaxaca Gold and a very freaky Chocolate Thai. The hybrid was very dark colored and would express a deep royal purple color at the slightest exposure to cold. The finished product was equally tasty and strong as the Juicy Fruit female. Although both plants were equally matched when it came to potency, the Purple Thai became DJ Short’s personal favorite. It was emotionally kinder than the Juicy Fruit Thai, which was so strong that it could in large doses evoke terror in the smoker. These two old school “Thai Stick” sativas make up the female pedigree of all the DJ Short strains.

The male that DJ Short used was an Afghani indica that was brought to his attention in 1979 by some growers from California. Although the indica plant was something of a novelty at that time when sativas ruled the grow rooms, it soon became apparent that the plant was here to stay. Growers could grow more herb that finished faster than before by combining the indica genes with old school sativas. In a way this also meant the end of the sativa dominant era that eventually lead to the disappearance of many pure sativa lines that either became hybridized or lost all together. The indica plants were very uniform, short and symmetrical, with thick hairy stems and wide leaf. They were dark green in color with tight, compact nodes and very dense floral clusters that packed an earthy and skunky aroma. The novelty soon wore off as the indica by itself was powerful but lacked the sophistication and complexity of the pure sativas. The indica plant did however contribute to the genetic diversity of modern cannabis plants, which allowed growers more control.

oregon_purple_thai_retouched55.jpg

Now with these plants in his repertoire, DJ Short applied his knowledge of breeding and created new floral lines using the three plants that he had discovered. Soon enough he established his two best known strains; namely Blueberry and Flo. Flo was discovered within the initial floral lines where the Oregon Purple Thai was crossed to the indica male. Working further along those lines, DJ Short created the Blueberry Cannabis strain by crossing the earlier lines to Juicy Fruit/Afghani hybrids. This means that there is a little of both the sativa mothers in the Blueberry while there is only Purple Thai in the Flo. DJ Short himself explained that some traits were more accessible through the Purple Thai, while others could be found by further crossing the plant to the Juicy Fruit Thai hybrid. The Original Blueberry was bred towards an indica expression although a more sativa dominant plant was also worked on and later refined into what we today know as the Blueberry Sativa.

During the 1980’s and early 1990’s, DJ Short continued to perfect his already highly refined strains. Around 1993 he travelled to Europe to work for the Sagarmatha Seed Company. By 1995 he was supplying this company with seed stock both for sale and for breeding purposes. He was little involved in the selection process but had contracted this company to produce Blueberry, Flo and Blue Velvet; a cousin to the Blueberry that was an even expression of both the indica and sativa parents. Although Blue Velvet is no longer available, Sagarmatha still offer DJ Short’s creations under the names Blueberry Bud and Flow, as well as some more recent hybrids. The relationship with the company was brief and DJ Short moved on to work for another company, Dutch Passion.

original_blueberry_retouched55.jpg

DJ Short supplied Dutch Passion with seeds although he was for some reason left out of the selection process once again. On top of the older and established strains, he also created several new ones like Blue Heaven, Blue Moonshine and Purple Passion. Now out of stock, Blue Heaven was a very consistent purple variety, mostly sativa in its expression and with prominent medicinal qualities. Purple Passion was an indica/sativa hybrid that displayed beautiful blue and purple shades, with buds that turned lavender blue to aubergine in color during flowering. The beautiful colours of all DJ Short’s strains have become trademarks but also remind us of the exotic origin of all his strains. Today Dutch Passion still offer some of DJ Short’s masterful creations; namely Blueberry, Original Flo and Blue Moonshine, which is a wonderfully resinous and potent, mostly indica cousin to the Blueberry plant.

Around the same time as DJ Short was working with Dutch Passion he also got to know a Swiss breeder named Steve, who is also the owner of the Spice of Life seed bank. During the following years in 1999-2001 DJ Short started working together with Breeder Steve, selecting plants from a large pool and several new strains were born; namely Moonshine Rocket Fuel, Rosebud and Blue Satellite. Moonshine Rocket Fuel was a very potent hybrid, containing the best of Blue Moonshine and Blue Velvet. Rosebud on the other hand was a truly exceptional plant that was mainly grown for its wonderful aesthetic value but also for its amazing floral scent. This unique phenotype of Flo had tops that actually formed a rose bloom shape from leaves that turned bright red and then faded to yellow. There was very little harvestable bud on this plant, so it never made any commercial success although it was breathtakingly beautiful and highly exotic. Equally exotic was the Flodica, a rare and pure indica expression of Flo, found by chance in the true floral line. However intriguing these exotic varieties might have been, the best known strain to come from skilled hands of these two master breeders was, and is still, the Blue Satellite.

blueberry_sativa_retouched55.jpg

This is where the Blueberry Sativa comes into play. It was developed sometime in the early to late 1980’s and purely bred by DJ Short until he shared some seeds with Breeder Steve from the Spice of Life seed bank. Numerous mothers and fathers were selected and kept for breeding purposes and were eventually used to make the Blue Satellite strains by combining Breeder Steve’s Shishkeberry male to the Blueberry Sativa mother for the first version of the plant and his Sweet Tooth indica for the final versions. Breeder Steve also combined a variety of Blueberry plants that was given to him by DJ Short to some of his own strains, including his famous Sweet Pink Grapefruit and Sweet Skunk. He created many new strains that he still offers in seed form today. All of their joint projects have yielded wonderful plants that testify to the skill of these two breeders.

More recently, DJ Short has also worked with other highly skillful breeders like Red from Legend Seeds and Chimera, combining several different lines of the Blueberry plant to already well established strains. Many of the strains have the same Blueberry Sativa father, known only as B130. The B130 male was a an exceptional father, a very Purple Thai dominant sativa that has since then passed on and no longer exists, making some of their joint releases limited editions. Many of these strains combine highly refined genetics to the Blueberry, ranging from Neville’s Haze to Sweet Skunk to the original 20 year old Cali-O orange bud. All of these hybrids deserve a second look.

true_blueberry_retouched55.jpg

The joint releases from Spice of Life, Legend Seeds and Chimera are far too many to mention here but some of the new strains require special attention. Like the Legends Ultimate Indica and DJ Short’s own True Blueberry and F-13. True Blueberry is a re-worked version of old Blueberry genes and the F-13 is considered the peak expression of the Blueberry Sativa and Flo. The Holy Grail of all DJ Short’s creations if you will and also his own personal favorite. Choosing between the Original and True Blueberry can be difficult but according to the master himself; both are equally potent and prone to color changes. The True Blueberry is called the ultimate hybrid of Blueberry expression, selected for its superior quality from a larger gene pool. Where the original Blueberry is mostly indica, this new hybrid contains the best from both worlds, and is both indica and sativa in expression. Although related, the True Blueberry was selected from different stock than the current Original Blueberry, and is slightly more productive. The Original Blueberry can be called a “Stretch-Indica”, in that she tends to stretch her nodes but her buds are very compact with larger calyx structure. The True Blueberry is more of a sativa bloomer on a indica looking plant. The bouquet of the original Blueberry is a more candy sweet and fruity smell while the True Blueberry has a higher nasal palate with anise undertones. Both plants are however exceptional in both scent and taste, thanks to the exotic stock used to create both strains. The high of the “True Blue” is also slightly more racy and cerebral than the narcotic, though not “couch-lock”, body stone of the original version. Naturally there is a range of plants to be found within either strain but one thing is certain; all of them will have long shelf life, improving with age like fine wine. The first version of the True Blueberry was also fathered by the now extinct B130 male and can therefore be considered a limited edition of this famous plant.
Some of DJ Short’s more recent creations are Grape Krush, Vanilluna (Vanilla Moon) and Cocoa Kush. The Cocoa Kush displays a structure, and other properties, familiar to Kush enthusiasts. Both Vanilluna and Cocoa Kush have the same Blueberry Sativa mother as the Blue Satellite and the father is the Original Blueberry “Stretch-Indica”. The difference being that Vanilluna resembles Blue Heaven while Cocoa Kush displays some of the traits of the Chocolate Thai from the initial floral line.

As you probably realize by now, all the work done by DJ Short on the initial floral lines as well as the Blueberry and Flo strains span over several decades and represent a great deal of expertise when it comes to selective breeding. Keeping track of the lineage of all the different strains quickly becomes difficult, if not impossible, since the parentage and genetic make up of certain strains have changed over the years. It is, however, certain that all the strains are of high quality and closely related to each other in one way or another. Some plants are siblings while others are distant cousins. Perhaps it is best to consider all of them as different representatives of the initial parental lines. Some lean towards the Purple Thai while other bear resemblance to the Juicy Fruit Thai, yet others express the indica heritage, sometimes in pure form or in combination with the sativas. Since different phenotypes can be discovered within each strain, it would take a lifetime to grow out all the possible plants that are waiting in the magical beans provided by DJ Short and the people that he has worked with. Close to 40 years of breeding experience speaks for itself.

Back