Photoperiod The landrace talk

Landrace strains still exist throughout Asia and other parts of the world. Like the Moroccan some of us are growing, though it is cultivated, its still a landrace as it been done the same way for a thousand years or more. Landrace strains have genetic equilibrium, the gene pool has remained the same in an area over long periods of time.

Potency of landrace is dependent of growing conditions as much as genetics. And until you've smoked a Sativa from Southeast Asia, you haven't seen potent! The one Sativa I want more than anything is a landrace from Vietnam. That was, to this very day, the most badass, POTENT weed I've ever smoked! Three hits and your tripping for 3-4 hours! that was 48 years ago and I've still never had anything that compares!

And I'm willing to bet this Riff Mountain will give give you a body stone you won't forget!

So yes, some weed is milder than other, yet it will have its own characteristics. Jamaican weed usually test 8-10% THC yet its still a strong weed. The other cannabiods contribute to the quality and feel of the high, not just the thc.

• Hey thanks for starting this thread. I don't do any breeding but I would like to get my hands on some landrace seeds. . Just for the fun of getting high on the same weed our early ancestors used in whatever rituals they performed.
  • My thoughts on landrace strains are that they may be pure but the flowers may be small and not very potentan as we humans try to improve on what nature provides us.
  • We would have a hard time finding a true landrace strain. It would be a great adventure to say the least. Maybe some amazon tribes have some hiddens jungle weed. Or some remote Nepali valley

Landrace strains still exist throughout Asia and other parts of the world. Like the Moroccan some of us are growing, though it is cultivated, its still a landrace as it been done the same way for a thousand years or more. Landrace strains have genetic equilibrium, the gene pool has remained the same in an area over long periods of time.

Potency of landrace is dependent of growing conditions as much as genetics. And until you've smoked a Sativa from Southeast Asia, you haven't seen potent! The one Sativa I want more than anything is a landrace from Vietnam. That was, to this very day, the most badass, POTENT weed I've ever smoked! Three hits and your tripping for 3-4 hours! that was 48 years ago and I've still never had anything that compares!

And I'm willing to bet this Riff Mountain will give give you a body stone you won't forget!

So yes, some weed is milder than other, yet it will have its own characteristics. Jamaican weed usually test 8-10% THC yet its still a strong weed. The other cannabiods contribute to the quality and feel of the high, not just the thc.
Hi pop22
true words my friend. I hope there will be more interest in landraces and we see some more people growing them. For us breeders its important to preserve them and keep them alive. Its a part of natural feeling.
cu tobe

Look at what's happening in the Philippines, trying to eliminate cannabis altogether. It's super important for the genetic diversity of the plant that we maintain these breeding lines in the face of prohibition.

Plus the smoke is amazing, grew a Purple Haze x Meao Thai from Ace that took like 24 weeks to flower. Simply epic. 100% worth the wait.

pht1-jpg.334154
Day 146

Preservation is definitely a priority, in whatever capacity one is capable of. Very few areas can sustain completely unaltered landrace genetics. One of the miracles of Canna is its method of pollen dispersal by wind. This is also truly a detriment, as any person, either wittingly or otherwise, could adulterate an entire village's landrace genetics or an entire mountainside. African pollen makes its way north into Spanish fields without aide, to give scope to how far-reaching featherlight pollen can be. This is an open discussion, so eventually they will come up. Green House Seeds. They documented just a small portion of what the world still holds in far away places. They also documented the unscrupulous practices some companies used to attain landrace genetics. Here's the thought, when other people do the work and are never compensated it is shady. We all stand on giant's shoulders at this point, and cannot likely avoid ever using another company's work. However what I saw these people do was a bit different. They employed locals for what is arguably a pittance. I say this because the greedy Arjan makes millions. Greedy because of all of those millions, none ever goes back to the villagers who need it. They showed themselves dedicating a house to someone, ok. Their usual practice is to barter some of their genetics, which is often femenized. They use to offer regulars, which many locals also prefer because of their expedient harvests, and potency. All it takes is one male in the bush, then the precious stock is gone, and GHS has what they wanted. In order to sustain landrace genetics, people have to cooperate with communities that utilize them. There are other ways than to replace what cannot be found anywhere else.
For whatever reason, Franco seemed completely different than Arjan. He was a good person who left us too early, but he did so hopefully in the midst of doing what he loved. He loved the plant for what most of us at AFN do, terpenes, resin, and cannabinoids. Hearing his passion in India was inspiring.
It is a risk anyone takes who thinks of going to distant places to find rare genepools, it is life. Mosquitoes are responsible for half of all human fatalities throughout history.
It is our short time here that can make the task seem daunting, mere blood and bone. I probably won't see proper Afghani Indicas swaying on the mountains, but that doesn't mean I don't love their terpenes. All of us are derailed, deterred, and set back by politics and warfare, but this is something I cannot change. I wish to live in peace and harmony, most laugh me off as an idealist because reality seems insurmountable. To be content in our corners of the world for now is the goal, one day hopefully we can all be free.

If it would be possible to acquire it, I would seek out heavy Indicas. The Cannabiogen Taskenti is supposedly from Uzbekistan, which is fascinating. So many cultures and geographical areas have associated strains. To learn of new ones is adding another card to the deck. I have one strain with Taskenti in it, but it is part of some Alphakronik parentage for another company's creation. Never seen it, one of those strains that got pushed down the line by space limitations.
My Afghani Mazar I Sharif is the only option right now if I needed something, but it has a little quirk. It is not very resistant to p.m. Being from Afghanistan it loves drier conditions. It took just one day, and one heavy watering.... Things didn't work out, but it is also a feature of many landraces. Sometimes environmental parameters must mimmick the natural climate of the landraces original location to achieve proper results. This is not always the case, but @pop22 just pointed out the potential potency of Southeast Asian cannabis in its natural environment.
As well, adjusting one's substrate could also be beneficial. Does a strain come from a moist jungle or a rocky outcropping in the Himalayas?
Cannabis will always adapt to its environment, so it will thrive with sunlight and H20 either way, but the idea is one I would have tested the first time I grew Mazar I Sharif. I did manage to have one female survive so I was still able to experience the Afghani flowers.
Dank, fuel, deep skunkiness. Which would make sense, as Skunk#1 is Acapulco Gold, Columbian Gold, and Afghani.
If any of you have grown anything with Dragon in it, you will recognize the stench. Putrid, dank, rotten, sound familiar? Afghani.:pass:
giphy (20).gif

Incidentally, Mazar and Mazar I Sharif aren't the same thing. Mazar I Sharif is pure Afghani from the areas around the Afghanistan city of Mazar I Sharif. Mazar the commercial strain, i.e. Purple Mazar, is Afghani x Skunk#1 and is not directly associated with the city at all. Afghani vs (Afghani(Afghani, Columbian Gold, Acapulco Gold)).

This stuff is interesting... IMHO. Naturally occuring hybribs are still landrace strains. It may be difficult to reproduce the exact conditions certain plants were grown under, we can try and succeed and pass any knowledge we gain along, but as @Micron Creek said.
I think we should beprotecting the habitat and the people living there. Unfortunately there are many closed minded people making decisions for our well being(or so they think) and it goes farther than just cannabis, much of the food we eat as well. At the end of the day you can't eat a handful of cash. Allthough it's nessecary. Educating people can go a long way here.

Last edited:
Back