Extraction QWET to Vape

I have not heard back from Jason at ExtraktLabs so I just went ahead and purchased 100g of CarbonX. I am just not very patient! It should be here next week. In the meantime I dissolved 10g of QWET in 200 ml of 85% ethanol. Winterized it again (just in case). So now I wait :dammit:.

The sample from ExtraktLab of CarbonX arrived in the post today. It weighed about 7g. I promptly dumped it into the sludge I have mixed up a couple of days ago. The sample may not be large enough for the task but I have more on the way.

cx1.jpg

I have some preliminary results and they are good. My buchner funnel setup is not working well and I have a new one and grade 2 filters coming. The CarbonX settles out well so you can see the results. This was the worst extracts I had and they were literally tar and were completely black opaque when mixed with 200 ml of ethanol. I want to run it again after I refresh the CarbonX. This was totally unusable and now I think it will be ok. Here is a picture of what we have so far:
qw2.jpg

In a few days I will have my new filter and 100g of fresh CarbonX. In the meantime I will wash the CarbonX in hot ethanol and then in boiling water to refresh it. I lost a little because I did not handle it well. It is a learning process.

Next week I will do a fresh run of room temperature ethanol and bud to get a maximum extraction and then see how light in color I can get it with first winterizing it then a CarbonX dispersion and final air drying.

I am moving in the right direction.

Last edited:
interesting @Mañ'O'Green
I had to look up what the carbonX is. :toke:

So the carbonX will take the chlorophyll and waxes out of your extraction...how do you get the carbonX out?

You use a buchner vacuum filter with a [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] filter. The one I have right now is worn out and leaks past the filter paper. I have a new one on the way. I am fairly impressed so far since the QWET in my experiment above was made with a room temperature long extraction of left over rosin chips. This stuff was sludge. I didn't even want to use it in cooking. I figure if it can make this usable then it may really work on other better product. I have a lot more testing to do but I like what I see so far.

You can regenerate the CarbonX and reuse it indefinitely. I am working on the process for something safe to do at home. The first wash is with hot ethanol which can be a fire hazard. Then it is washed with boiling water, dried and is then reusable.

Last edited:
I worked out a method for regenerating the CarbonX. Since I need to distill down some vodka (cheapest 40% money can buy), after the second run I used the hot ethanol ~85 % out of the distiller to wash the CarbonX. I filtered this with a [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] filter. Then I washed it with boiling water and again filtered it out with a [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] filter. I placed this in a bowl to air dry and then will put it back into the experiment jar.

The distiller is the safest place around my house to heat and contain the ethanol; after all that is what it is made for!

The Jar of what used to be sludge is looking better and better................. The jar frosted up immediately when I took it out of the freezer so the picture is not representative of the sample. It is getting much better.

sludge1.jpg

I think I got this batch as colorless as possible. I mean after all this was mission impossible. I used some sludge. I was just going to throw it away. It is still going to be darker than I am trying to achieve. I will be doing a freezer extraction later today or tomorrow. This will be a more realistic trial. In the meantime here is what I did today.

The buchner filter I have been using was supposed to be a use once throw away but being so cheap I removed the filter material. I sanded around the edge and I am using 90 mm filter papers in it. It leaks a little around the edges but I can make it work ok.

b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg

I ran the QWET with the CarbonX through the filter 4 times to get all of the CarbonX out.

b4.jpg
b5.jpg

The last filter paper was almost clean.

Here is a picture of the product headed for the drying chamber.

b6.jpg

Here is a picture of a box, AC filter and a exhaust fan I turned into a dustless fan to evaporate off the ethanol.
b7.jpg
b8.jpg

Back