Extraction QWET to Vape

I was going to be asking about carts as I get closer. Did you ever try RSO to make vape oil? Thinking it could be really thick.
RSO has too much wax and chlorophyll to make vape oil IMPO. I am sure there is someone out there doing it. They both foul the heat element in a cart.

I've made the palest honey oil at room temperature with around 100% ethanol. The secret knowledge is to mix in some powdered activated charcoal before filtering.

Yesterday I did a quick 3 minute 95% iced ethanol extraction using just 10g of bud, (8.9g after being further dried in oven) got about one gram+ of very nice amber oil and more (0.5) of a lower quality second extraction. However the room temp ethanol with activated charcoal worked much better than a quick chilled wash. The charcoal removes all the chlorophyll and waxes.

View attachment 1011937 View attachment 1011938 View attachment 1011939

The problem with activated charcoal is that some of it has heavy metals that are extracted into the QWET. I found a source for a carbon product that is made in a lab and is free of contaminants. It is all in this thread. The thing I personally decided was I don't care what color it is if it is clean and vapes well. If I make sludge QWET from my rosin chips I make edibles out of it not vape oil. The best vape oil is from fresh frozen larf. That is not always around so then well cured buds are next.

The problem with activated charcoal is that some of it has heavy metals that are extracted into the QWET. I found a source for a carbon product that is made in a lab and is free of contaminants. It is all in this thread. The thing I personally decided was I don't care what color it is if it is clean and vapes well. If I make sludge QWET from my rosin chips I make edibles out of it not vape oil. The best vape oil is from fresh frozen larf. That is not always around so then well cured buds are next.

I did not know that about the activated charcoal, however when I used it I did use lab grade from a scientific supply store. I can say that compared to any oil I've ever seen it was the most volatile. I would spot it on a piece of foil and it would leave no residue. The cold wash ethanol I just did was almost as good but still a little way short. Thing is that when I originally did this a million years ago I used an ounce of top quality bud but I ground it up very fine, so when thrown in a jar and shaken vigorously with pure ethanol, the liquid was a fairly dark green. Upon putting in the charcoal it was black of course but after filtering it was a pale straw colour. That's how much the charcoal cleaned it up. I ground it myself in a mortar and pestle. I'm just talking about my direct experience I'll do it properly on a larger amount in the future and report on it.

Last edited:
RSO has too much wax and chlorophyll to make vape oil IMPO. I am sure there is someone out there doing it. They both foul the heat element in a cart.

When let to sit, will the wax settle to the bottom? Wondering if the top could be pulled out for a cleaner product. This is for the freezer wash, I wont try using rso

When let to sit, will the wax settle to the bottom? Wondering if the top could be pulled out for a cleaner product. This is for the freezer wash, I wont try using rso
It will stay in suspension at room temperature. That is why the freezer time is needed. It separates and then can be filtered out in the Buckner. The faster you work it frozen the better. It does not take much to foul the vape cartridges. It burns on the heat element and causes bad flavors. The Blueberry I made recently is stronger THC and better flavor than any cart I purchased. It is fire!

I will have to wait for it to warm some before I can do this. No where that I can let it evap except outside. I'll have to think on this one.

I will have to wait for it to warm some before I can do this. No where that I can let it evap except outside. I'll have to think on this one.

Similar here on where I could let it evaporate. Dang I need to complete my shop!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished mine but dont think it's got enough ventilation
As long as the temperature of the QWET is above the ambient air temperature it will evaporate. Much faster than you think when the air is cold and dry. I use a cheap rice cooker to keep it warm outdoors.

As long as the temperature of the QWET is above the ambient air temperature it will evaporate. Much faster than you think when the air is cold and dry. I use a cheap rice cooker to keep it warm outdoors.
I was thinking more in terms of safety, not keeping the vapors trapped. I could try using a hair straightener and press bud. Would it be the same or still too much wax?

I was thinking more in terms of safety, not keeping the vapors trapped. I could try using a hair straightener and press bud. Would it be the same or still too much wax?
I always do my evaporation outdoors. Yes in my personal experience all of the rosin I have pressed was way to waxy.

Back