Grow Room Psilmex's Microgrow

So like a dummy, I blew my fan out so I've ordered 3 new fans of 2 different varieties that I researched for being quiet so hopefully that will solve more than one issue, I'm itching to get this thing started so bad but soon enough it will begin hopefully sooner rather than later

A curse that is probably a blessing in disguise, plus you probably learned something in the process, so doesn't sound too bad to me, and you'll be up and running in no time. :goodluck:

Going thru your posts (admittedly, skimming thru) I seen your temps are in the high 80's and this is without the carbon filter setup? I can tell you that you will have major issues with bud density/ quality even with CO2, if you were to go that route. I just finished a micro grow where temps stayed in the mid 80's and had OK results.

yea actually working on that now my fans came in
upload_2016-7-26_21-57-34.png

did a test run today and unfortunately even after a little rearranging my temps stayed between 90-95. but that is without an intake fan hooked up and a better circulation fan running. so my plan is to use one of these as an intake fan and also one as a circulation fan that will hopefully keep this light a little cooler and keep the temps back down at least to 85. if this doesn't work out then my plan is to invest in a couple cxb3590s or even just one and run that in there with a passive cooling heat sink. if the latter ends up happening which i have my thumbs and toes crossed it wont, then are there any other recommendations besides 3590's? would love input from anyone on this one especially those with experience with diy leds (@Mr. Sparkle wink wink ha).

Last edited:
also another option, which could end up being cheaper when all is said and done, is getting a quiet squirrel cage 4in fan any thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about looking into new leds and the likes just yet, id work out what you have and see, but if your not running an intake fan now and going only passive thats one issue, cause if your running passive your intake should be at least twice the size of your exhaust, aka 120mm exhaust means at least two 120mm holes for intake, that causes the air to slow down, so less air changes means less heat extracted, so either cut another hole or throw an intake fan back on, personally i prefer passive intakes, as its one less thing to go wrong.

Ive also used those gelid solution fans in the past, looks like you have the TC as in thermo couple ones, they have that extra black lead that comes off the fan that when heated causes the fans to go to full, what i use to do is jam that right into a heat sink of a light or directly on the bulb of a cfl, as then they would be full blast when lights were on and would throttle down when lights were off.

Another thing to consider, is how are you measuring your temps, reason why i ask, is for myself that in certain situations when the temperature sensor is directly in the light vs say being shielded with a small shield or in a corner where there is still good airflow, i have had a pretty significant difference in the stated temperature. Also plants will cause the temperature of a box to lower abit, due to them perspiring.

And circulations fans do help, but you don't need much for them, i typically use 92mm and under but really its whatever you have on hand and works for you.

Just get the box to have enough air volume changes to keep it cool and you will be good. Also 85 degrees you can grow really nice bud, one of my current boxes runs around there and ive run hotter in the past in other boxes. We don't necessarily have the luxury to run really cool in our micro environments, or at least have to work at it or have cold outside air to do it.

Also with what cantbuymelove said, heat can cause fluffy buds and will if high enough but the denseness or fluffiness of a bud also come down to genetics, as say like my current cherry bomb thats almost done in my other box is super dense, but if i had a clone of the one c99 plant i have as a mother it would be super fluffy right beside it, same conditions just different genetics, in the end bud is bud, and if it good its good. Doesn't really matter to me if its dense or not, as some dense buds are weak, and other supper fluffy buds will have you off in space for hours.

Alright ive typed too much...

Last edited:
Not at all this was so informative, I was wondering what that black lead was for I'll do some more rearranging on Saturday I ran another test today and so far it's staying right at 88 and that's with out the leads being heated up

I had a thought while I was drinking my sour beer tonight, lol so dank cant wait till the wait is over and I can smoke again stupid jobs, anyway i was thinking that maybe that clay pot is also heating the cab up a bit.

It would retain heat, but no more than anything of similar mass and properties, plastic is easier, more durable and lighter, but it's personal preference.

That's good news might end up doing some work today on the cab updates hopefully will follow later tonight

Back