Indoor Prism Lighting Science CMH Test grow - 2018

Hey Guy's I did want point out about what @Ash-a-Ton had mentioned about the Ballast getting very hot, I'm glad he mentioned because I probably wouldn't have checked since my other ballast ran so much cooler, I do think it's because there is no fan to help cool it down and basically relying on the heat sink to do the cooling, which I think could possibly burn unit out pre-maturely... I did also add a fan to blow on the Ballast to help cool it down, it really was pretty HOT like couldn't hold your hand on it even, after running fan directly on it, I'm able rest my hand on it without burning my hand... So I recommend all ya guys add some sort of cooling to the Ballast, like a fan...to prevent this unit from possibly starting a fire if something was close enough... Oh and also I hope you all have Glasses to wear under these lights so you not hurt your eyes, they make it clear eye protection Must be worn. The ballast was hotter to touch then the Hood was,much much hotter also...if that gives any idea just how hot the Ballast gets..My inside tent temps were at 81.7 degree's with extraction off for an hour.. The light itself runs very very cool...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Got my package today. Have some unboxing pics of what came with it and such. There was some minor damage to the shipping box on arrival. Nothing inside appeared to be damaged. Will have to test everything to be sure though. Shipping was very discrete with nothing indicating what was inside. Shipping was also extremely fast. It came from Arizona USA to Ontario Canada with in 2 days of shipping. That's impressive.

20180208_141151.jpg
20180208_141202.jpg
20180208_141213.jpg
20180208_141528.jpg
20180208_141537.jpg
20180208_141637.jpg

20180208_141836.jpg
20180208_142050.jpg
20180208_142243.jpg
20180208_142350.jpg
20180208_142407.jpg
20180208_142450.jpg
20180208_142506.jpg

You will notice the bulbs came in their own box with added foam inside the shipping box. I like that they went the extra mile to protect them. Little things like this can make a huge difference between a happy purchase and a sad purchase. The packaging for this shipment could not have been made better. So I have to tip my hat for this reason.

Got my package today. Have some unboxing pics of what came with it and such. There was some minor damage to the shipping box on arrival. Nothing inside appeared to be damaged. Will have to test everything to be sure though. Shipping was very discrete with nothing indicating what was inside. Shipping was also extremely fast. It came from Arizona USA to Ontario Canada with in 2 days of shipping. That's impressive.

View attachment 861891 View attachment 861892 View attachment 861893 View attachment 861894 View attachment 861895 View attachment 861896
Damn package handlers. Thats clearly a good ding in that 1. Got both boxes.
Good thing they package these well. Glad no damage.
I also agree. Very great boxing and no labels is a big plus.
Ill post up the babies here in just a min. Have 2 photos and 2 autos all roughly same age. Have only seen the light of the cmh. Its all they know lol. Glad we are just about all ready to grow.

Hey Guy's I did want point out about what @Ash-a-Ton had mentioned about the Ballast getting very hot, I'm glad he mentioned because I probably wouldn't have checked since my other ballast ran so much cooler, I do think it's because there is no fan to help cool it down and basically relying on the heat sink to do the cooling, which I think could possibly burn unit out pre-maturely... I did also add a fan to blow on the Ballast to help cool it down, it really was pretty HOT like couldn't hold your hand on it even, after running fan directly on it, I'm able rest my hand on it without burning my hand... So I recommend all ya guys add some sort of cooling to the Ballast, like a fan...to prevent this unit from possibly starting a fire if something was close enough... Oh and also I hope you all have Glasses to wear under these lights so you not hurt your eyes, they make it clear eye protection Must be worn. The ballast was hotter to touch then the Hood was,much much hotter also...if that gives any idea just how hot the Ballast gets..My inside tent temps were at 81.7 degree's with extraction off for an hour.. The light itself runs very very cool...:thumbsup:
I agree. Mine got too hot to hold. Small desk fan did the trick. So i also advise airflow on the hood and ballast. But a very small fan did the job. So not a biggy. But with out the fan it was concerningly hot

I just got done installing my new 315w cmh light!

this 315w cmh light will be replacing my 600w air cooled hps

the ballast is a 315w square-wave digital ballast from Prism Lighting Science the reflector is a Sun System LEC 315 RA Remote Reflector and last but not least the bulb is a Philips Mastercolor CDM-TP Elite 315W CMH Agro Lamp T12 - 3100ºK

the set up was pretty easy it took me the longest to take down my 600w hps and rearrange where my carbon filter was positioned but after that was down it was really simple

everything is all set up and I am doing a 10+ hours initial burn on the bulb it is recommend that when you first install the light and turn it on that you let the light run for at least 10 strait hours before you turn it off so you wont damage the bulb I will just let mine run all day today and set my timer tomorrow

I have another 315w cmh light that I will be installing in my closet grow space but that wont be until around march since I can veg all the seedling that I will be starting for my next grow in the tent once the plants that are in there now are ready to harvest

I still need to install my 16 inch hurricane fan back in my tent but I have to wait until I can get a extension cord

I took a ton of pictures when I was unboxing the lights all the parts were packaged real well there were a few dings on the outside on some of the boxes but nothing too bad

the outside packaging was very discreet with no visible markings indicating what was inside or where it was shipped from so that's a big plus

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 014.JPG 017.JPG 019.JPG 021.JPG 023.JPG 027.JPG 031.JPG 032.JPG 033.JPG

Damn package handlers. Thats clearly a good ding in that 1. Got both boxes.
Good thing they package these well. Glad no damage.
I also agree. Very great boxing and no labels is a big plus.
Ill post up the babies here in just a min. Have 2 photos and 2 autos all roughly same age. Have only seen the light of the cmh. Its all they know lol. Glad we are just about all ready to grow.

Shipping always scares me cause of that reason never know who is gunna drop something lol I am just about to flower my photo's. So I m glad the lights came before then.

I agree. Mine got too hot to hold. Small desk fan did the trick. So i also advise airflow on the hood and ballast. But a very small fan did the job. So not a biggy. But with out the fan it was concerningly hot
omg yes, I know when ya mentioned I figured ohh maybe he's just used to led's... But I decided to check and damn glad you mentioned it... for me that was dangerously hot if unable to even touch with my hand...Now I have small 4inch fan blowing at it and keeping it ice cool, just how I want, Plus I feel running it at cooler temps will help prevent against premature failure imo... I could be wrong, but really not worth the risk... I already decided I will mount ballast to a hard drive cooler it's basically a tray with two small fan's, I can run them with less power(12v adapter) with near silent noise vs a loud fan(that's like 22w)...running tent without extraction for 2 full hours, tent never went over 83.5 degrees. I cut back approx 560-590w (true watts) plus cutting extraction time less then half, so that should make huge difference on power bill & keep the wife from Barking at me! :p She was very Pissed about last two power bills being well over 175$ per month over what the normal bill usually is..

Last edited:
Back