I thought about planting 2 or 3 marigolds on the outside edges of each plant. I had to battle leaf biters last year and I hate using Azamax, but I have no idea if they repel slugs. :shrug:

In fact we should respect nature since we aint nothing whithout it. The Marigolds should be just as good as Chervil and we have it here in the house garden, along with chervil and there has been no single slug around ever! But in my case i dont want to highlight the spot with bright flowers that usually do not appear naturally to not draw attention. I'll stick to all green stuff but that Marigold thing is way better than poison. Like!

Last edited:
temps are okay...its around 10 degrees and windy...not ideal, but hey they need to adapt! Snow is fullly melted! Supposed to be nice tis week.
Go for it! I took a chance back on the second of May and stuck four autoflowers in the ground because it was unseasonably warm this spring. I left them for a week of what turned out to be some of the worse weather we have had in some time. Temperatures ranged from 21 to -2c and had huge amounts of rain and wind. I thought for sure between all that and the critters they would be long dead, but got home to find them stronger for it. Sometimes we do forget, it's a weed. :rofl: Normally I wouldn't think about putting seedlings in this early. Usually wait for the end of May, so for me an almost four week jump on the season is heaven. Global warming at work. :headbang:

slugs are repelled by copper on my end...i use copper strips around the base, and wrap bare copper wire around the training wires to stop them and it works great

@912GreenSkell I forgot about using copper and I still have some of the ones I bought last year. Mine are scrubbers and not real easy to separate, but if your good at untying knots, it's doable. I don't get them down to single strands, just enough where I can make a knot with several. I't suppose to be something about a natural electrical charge from the ground that repels them/ Anyways, thanks bud for reminding me I had them. :pighug:

In fact we should respect nature since we aint nothing whithout it. The Marigolds should be just as good as Chervil and we have it here in the house garden, along with chervil and there has been no single slug around ever! But in my case i dont want to highlight the spot with bright flowers that usually do not appear naturally to not draw attention. I'll stick to all green stuff but that Marigold thing is way better than poison. Like!
We do need to do our part as growers to protect Mother Earth, but when you have plants dying during bud time from damm aphids, it's time to take action!
untitled22.png

Now who wants to smoke some of my bud! :crying:

Last edited:
@912GreenSkell I forgot about using copper and I still have some of the ones I bought last year. Mine are scrubbers and not real easy to separate, but if your good at untying knots, it's doable. I don't get them down to single strands, just enough where I can make a knot with several. I't suppose to be something about a natural electrical charge from the ground that repels them/ Anyways, thanks bud for reminding me I had them. :pighug:

We do need to do our part as growers to protect Mother Earth, but when you have plants dying during bud time from damm aphids, it's time to take action!
View attachment 748904
Now who wants to smoke some of my bud! :crying:

Thanks but i'm good bra! :nono: :crying:

Copper does work well. As long as the leaves don't touch the ground outside the copper ring. I just use some 12ga or 14ga solid wire and my plants don't get touched by slugs.... now if you guys got something that will keep black bears away from my plants now that would be something.

Copper does work well. As long as the leaves don't touch the ground outside the copper ring. I just use some 12ga or 14ga solid wire and my plants don't get touched by slugs.... now if you guys got something that will keep black bears away from my plants now that would be something.

.308 problem solved! :D

Good call on the leaves touching...slugs will crawl up training wires, stakes or leaves touching the ground. I have heard from fellas in the UK through that the copper has been ineffective toward their "megaslugs" :D

No seriously on the bear thing though....avoid fish meal, blood and bonemeal. Dig your holes weeks before you put the plants in and then try to disturb the ground as little as possible when you actually plant. Coyotes and wolves pose the same problems

Good call on the leaves touching...slugs will crawl up training wires, stakes or leaves touching the ground. I have heard from fellas in the UK through that the copper has been ineffective toward their "megaslugs" :D

No seriously on the bear thing though....avoid fish meal, blood and bonemeal. Dig your holes weeks before you put the plants in and then try to disturb the ground as little as possible when you actually plant. Coyotes and wolves pose the same problems
I take torn up strips of old tshirts and a bottle of ammonia with me to my grows. Then I soak the strips in the ammonia and scatter them around the perimeter of the grow trying to put them where they won't get wet. This repeals most small varmits like groundhogs and raccoons, along with bigger critters like deer and bear. If you need stronger and/or longer lasting protection, get some of the plastic, not styrofoam, take-out containers with lids. Poke small holes in the lids and fill with ammonia. Don't put them to close to the plants in case you get a heavy rain and the containers somehow overflow. Only thing I know this might attract is cats. Mothballs are effective as well.

Almost forgot, wolf urine is suppose to be very effective as well, but expensive.

slugs are repelled by copper on my end...i use copper strips around the base, and wrap bare copper wire around the training wires to stop them and it works great
I found copper scrub pads for pots at my dollar store. I unwind them, end up with alot of copper wire....works great...

and I got leopard slugs - up to 6". they're able to stretch over a copper barrier - just needs to be big enough to prevent them from doing it. Sometime 3-4" of countermeasure...

You must live in a nice area......copper would get stolen here in less than 2 seconds. Haha

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Back