Outdoor My first all auto outdoor grow

The first plant is a 6 week old Six Shooter that was started indoors and had a pretty healthy childhood, the second is a 5 week old Sky Stomper that was born into a cold dark world... (the third is a Dark Devil). Most of this crop was put outside too early and has that shape with one main stem and not much side branching. I'm curious to see how they'll do when the sun finally comes out, I'm hoping they start putting some energy into filling out more.

View attachment 918543
View attachment 918544
View attachment 918546

Its hard on plants(autos) when they deal with cold early on in their life. All you can do now is try to time it better next season, and concentrate on proper feeding to maximize all the bud you can this season.

Its hard on plants(autos) when they deal with cold early on in their life. All you can do now is try to time it better next season, and concentrate on proper feeding to maximize all the bud you can this season.
True enough. Most of what I "know" about autos I've read online, and so far I've read that they are light feeders, and alternately that you can feed them 50% more than you'd feed a photo and they'll eat it up...

What's your experience with feeding? Hard or light? Or am I over simplifying it?

True enough. Most of what I "know" about autos I've read online, and so far I've read that they are light feeders, and alternately that you can feed them 50% more than you'd feed a photo and they'll eat it up...

What's your experience with feeding? Hard or light? Or am I over simplifying it?

I watch my plants very, very closely and know what I am looking for. I generally feed autos on the light side for sure. I find quite alot of them are nitrogen sensitive versus the majority of photos i have grown. Proper feeding is tough to nail sometimes, especially if you have a heavy feeder and a light feeder in the same round of plants. One you might see deficiencies, and on another plant you might see excessive dark foliage or nitrogen clawing.

I grow multiple strains at a time(usually 7 or more), and i find this works fairly well. When young i start feeding at 10 days and use 1/4 of the recommended base nutrients. Then every week or so I make the mix stronger until i see one of the plants that has dark foliage or a bit of excessive nitrogen(clawing). Then that plant i feed a lighter mix for the next 2 feeds and then take it back up to full strength. Sometimes that light feeder will need a diluted mix for a good few feeds and sometimes if will need a lighter mixer for weeks. So that plant will get left behind in feeding, and the others will stay at that strength of feed(I find this is usually just over half when this happens). This is normally around day 30 and this is when the flower nutrients are started, additives increased into the base nutrient one at a time and see how they respond until you know how the plants react.

Hope that helps!!

Devise your feeding schedule around what the plants tell you. Have you read the weak link article?

I watch my plants very, very closely and know what I am looking for. I generally feed autos on the light side for sure. I find quite alot of them are nitrogen sensitive versus the majority of photos i have grown. Proper feeding is tough to nail sometimes, especially if you have a heavy feeder and a light feeder in the same round of plants. One you might see deficiencies, and on another plant you might see excessive dark foliage or nitrogen clawing.

I grow multiple strains at a time(usually 7 or more), and i find this works fairly well. When young i start feeding at 10 days and use 1/4 of the recommended base nutrients. Then every week or so I make the mix stronger until i see one of the plants that has dark foliage or a bit of excessive nitrogen(clawing). Then that plant i feed a lighter mix for the next 2 feeds and then take it back up to full strength. Sometimes that light feeder will need a diluted mix for a good few feeds and sometimes if will need a lighter mixer for weeks. So that plant will get left behind in feeding, and the others will stay at that strength of feed(I find this is usually just over half when this happens). This is normally around day 30 and this is when the flower nutrients are started, additives increased into the base nutrient one at a time and see how they respond until you know how the plants react.

Hope that helps!!
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm not sure why I've been thinking that autos are a completely different paradigm than photos, I guess it's the way people talk about them as though they are a totally different beast. You have described how I've grown photos for years, moving forward I'll try not to forget what I already know.

Last edited:
Hey Humanrob, that baby looks like it's frosting up nicely.. when did you put them out and what was the temp like? Just curious.

Hey Humanrob, that baby looks like it's frosting up nicely.. when did you put them out and what was the temp like? Just curious.
The answer is a little complicated, because there are some I started and some I got that were 30 days old when I got them. The ones in the last pictures were the ones that I got that had spent their first 30 days indoors and had a good start. The others I started (indoors) on May 11th and they went outside May 25th. Late May/early June we had a bunch of night temps in the 40's, but mostly in the low to mid 50's, and a lot of rainy or overcast days that never reached 70º. I started weeks too soon for autos.

May2018.png June2018.png

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm not sure why I've been thinking that autos are a completely different paradigm than photos, I guess it's the way people talk about them as though they are a totally different beast. You have described how I've grown photos for years, moving forward I'll try not to forget what I already know.

The same principles in photos apply to autos...just in a slightly lighter sense...i find i start a bit lighter with autos, and generally end up a bit lighter on the feeding than i would with majority of photos.

Ah I see, can't wait to see what they become. I think their looking healthy man. How big a hole did you put them in?
Thanks, they are in good soil and getting decent sun... when it comes out.

One 3 gallon and one 1 gallon pot were placed (still in their pots) into 10 gallon pots. The ones put into the ground were mostly put into existing raised beds that had lots of good soil in them, but I still dug out about a 10 gallon hole and mixed in fresh FFOF and some Rainbow Pro dry nutes. I'm curious what they'll become too! It is amazing how different the three that were kept indoors for their first 30 days are from the others. Night and day.

Last edited:
Back