Mephisto Genetics Mephisto LED vs HPS Sour Crack AF-SOG!

I see the differences but honestly I feel like both grows will end up very close at the end.

Hello Mitch nice growing buddy. If I can add a little bit of info into this thread. I have said many times on here that I have noticed that the plans grown under HPS will grow different from LED. IMO plants grown under LED grow more compact then plants under HPS, however that doesn't mean they will yeild less and I'm looking forward to the end results, given circumstances weren't perfect to start.

You will find especially under GN , iv used them for. 2.5yrs I can't vouch for other LED because I haven't used the but I assume it's the same.
Pants will have lots and lots of undergrowth under with the canopy,(even more on photos)way more then what you HPS, as it's growth is more open, bigger internode, less developed and stacked I find..It's like they concentrate more on having a good veg.
Equalling better yields
A good friend who had HPS now has my old MS units, he told me the other day that his plants have an almost thinker leafs and have a different texture to them which I know sounds strange but i do get what he means, like healthier.

What ever happens though Mitch I'm sure the fruits of the labour won't disappoint.

Yes for sure, it's the first time we've dipped our toes into LED and it'll be difficult to get a straight up comparison as I think the cooler temps in the first couple of weeks slowed the LED plants dramatically.

I used to start my autos under MH, but with the veg time being so short, after time, I decided it wasn't worth the effort to change the bulbs for the difference it made.

I hope so because i plan to switch to LEDs for cost effective reasons and ease of climate control. Equal yields as HPS would be awesome.

Good job "Bill". This has been very interesting. Keep it up.

Still a lot more fun to come, cheers Marga!

Well i would say wait til the Buding Starts ;) Then Hps might loose some Miles behind the Leds

I'm very interested in watching the next month and weeks unfold, and interest in the first LED flowers we've grown.

looks like the HPS knocks LED clear out the water so far this round.

My response to the growers using leds with impressive results.....Imagine if they used hps :Sharing One:

Not to say i wouldn't jump at the opportunity to test a grow northern, because i would lol

Plants look great mephisto. Will be interesting to see a comparison hps vs led this summer, i think hps has the advantage during the colder months

EDIT: Mephisto, what accounts for the color variation in the plants?

I think that's the way to think of it, in rounds rather than just one test.
If we get some nice buds out of the LED tent and we're only expending 140w power, then it makes sense to keep it rolling.

I would say the colour variation is the amount of energy and growth seen from both.
Usually we transplant up our autos, with some food, and into fresh soil I think it gives them a good boost for a longer period without needing to feed, The hps plants went through some rapid growth in very lightly fertilised soil, so it may just be a case of we are playing catchup to their nutrient requirements.

Last feed for the hps was 1.5ml bloom, 1ml grow. And of course it's intensified by photos taken under the HPS and LED respectively.
The LED plants are still on plain water and look a very deep green, but they are taking less and wanting less from the medium at this stage.

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted.
Cheers

I just love this thread more and more for every update.

Sure the size difference is there with a clear advantage for the hps tent but I must say the LED plants looks healthier and are way nicer to the eye.

And soon the really fun part will begin.

Rock on Mitch and the other guys,

Love

Justin Beaver

I just love this thread more and more for every update.

Sure the size difference is there with a clear advantage for the hps tent but I must say the LED plants looks healthier and are way nicer to the eye.

And soon the really fun part will begin.

Rock on Mitch and the other guys,

Love

Justin Beaver

I agree this tread is awesome! Ive been thinking about adding a few small LEDs as supplement lighting in a hps powered tent. Seems like together they produce some nice bud together.

I agree this tread is awesome! Ive been thinking about adding a few small LEDs as supplement lighting in a hps powered tent. Seems like together they produce some nice bud together.

that could well be the way to go! We had it in mind to try some leds in our flower room between hps's

there's a lot of variabes here, I think in summer we will re-try the experiment if we have time/space.

i'm not too fond of this new Og reflector, I actually prefer the cheap parabolics we've been using for years.

Plant health/appearance I believe it's down to growth levels, in the hps we had roots out of the bottom of the pots very very quickly and perhaps missed the feeding train, whereas the (too) cool led environment and consequently slower growth has meant little watering and zero nutrients so far.

its still nice to watch our genetics though :)

up - date, up - date, up - date!!! :xlaugh:

Tonight if I can, I'm wanting to photograph the f1 projects, so I'll try and do a double hit of updates.

cheers!

When my SODK gets a little older in a few days, I'm going to place her in between my HPS and LED so she gets some of each light, just as my own little experiment.

When my SODK gets a little older in a few days, I'm going to place her in between my HPS and LED so she gets some of each light, just as my own little experiment.

Please document that I would love to see the outcome!

Mitch,
I just noticed that your running an OG Growlite hood.
How do you like them compared to the parabolic reflectors you were using.

Hi ronin, it's the first run with one in a tent, we also have 4 in the flowering room.

it's certainly creates higher light intensity with the design of the internal/reflective elements to the shade. The spread of light doesn't extend too much beyond the dimensions of the shade.

over the beds in the flowering room it seems to provide decent penetration,

it could be that we are so used to the old style it's just an adjustment period, but for shorter autos in a tent they really work very well indeed, good penetration for plants around 2ft tall, even spread of light and brilliant dissipation of heat.

time will tell though. Cheers!

Back