Mephisto Genetics Mephisto LED vs HPS Sour Crack AF-SOG!

Here's a mini update for d24 from sprout.

The HPS tent got it's first feed today, they were looking a bit hungry!
1 litre each, feed consisted of 1ml biobizz grow, 1 ml biobizz bloom.

LED tent is still on plain well water. The led tent is now up to 73/74 degrees at the very top of the tent. And we have some pre-flowers.
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture426458-d24-led-s.jpg

The HPS plants are starting to form some flowers -
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture426457-d24-hps-s.jpg

Here's a comparison -
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture426459-d24-comparison-s.jpg

The HPS plant is at 33cm tall/ 13 inch roughly, the led plant is 20cm / 7.8
I'd put the LED plants about a week behind due to the cold, but they are starting to even out after the switch-around in there, and the weather is improving little by little as we are almost into march.

Cheers!

I'm sure a 150w Hps uses more electric and cost than a tube heater, maybe thats why but then again if cost is no issue then I would go with another light. Im worried HPS would mess with the spectrum on the GN LEDS though and then they wont be as effective??

There is no way another light will mess with the spectrum, its just adding more photons

d29 update -

HPS tent has had 2 feeds with nutrients now, LED tent is still on plain well water.

i'm starting to think with the HPS, It might have been better to start them in smaller pots and purposefully stunt them a little.

LED tent is now a constant 76 degrees at the top of the tent... Having an early hint of spring here, it was 21 degrees outside yesterday :)

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture428253-hps-s.jpg

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture428254-hps-2s.jpg

A couple of days ago, the 6th row was removed from the LED, the plants were tiny in comparison, so we thought it better to sacrifice them and shift the plants up a few inches to get closer to the lights.

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture428256-led2s.jpg

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture428255-led1s.jpg

Cheers!
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture428256-led2s.jpg

Wow, the difference is amazing!

Wow, the difference is amazing!

I think we've figured out the difference is largely environmental than due to the lighting.. but there's a chance we'll get to replicate this grow in summer when conditions are much more favourable to the led's.

But it's our lads first grow, bit of a baptism of fire :) , so props to unkie szy aka bill , so far

looks like the HPS knocks LED clear out the water so far this round.

My response to the growers using leds with impressive results.....Imagine if they used hps :Sharing One:

Not to say i wouldn't jump at the opportunity to test a grow northern, because i would lol

Plants look great mephisto. Will be interesting to see a comparison hps vs led this summer, i think hps has the advantage during the colder months

EDIT: Mephisto, what accounts for the color variation in the plants?

Well i would say wait til the Buding Starts ;) Then Hps might loose some Miles behind the Leds

I think we've figured out the difference is largely environmental than due to the lighting.. but there's a chance we'll get to replicate this grow in summer when conditions are much more favourable to the led's.

But it's our lads first grow, bit of a baptism of fire :) , so props to unkie szy aka bill , so far
Good job "Bill". This has been very interesting. Keep it up.

I hope so because i plan to switch to LEDs for cost effective reasons and ease of climate control. Equal yields as HPS would be awesome.

Hello Mitch nice growing buddy. If I can add a little bit of info into this thread. I have said many times on here that I have noticed that the plans grown under HPS will grow different from LED. IMO plants grown under LED grow more compact then plants under HPS, however that doesn't mean they will yeild less and I'm looking forward to the end results, given circumstances weren't perfect to start.

You will find especially under GN , iv used them for. 2.5yrs I can't vouch for other LED because I haven't used the but I assume it's the same.
Pants will have lots and lots of undergrowth under with the canopy,(even more on photos)way more then what you HPS, as it's growth is more open, bigger internode, less developed and stacked I find..It's like they concentrate more on having a good veg.
Equalling better yields
A good friend who had HPS now has my old MS units, he told me the other day that his plants have an almost thinker leafs and have a different texture to them which I know sounds strange but i do get what he means, like healthier.

What ever happens though Mitch I'm sure the fruits of the labour won't disappoint.

Back