Mephisto Genetics Mephisto LED vs HPS Sour Crack AF-SOG!

Yes, they give a nice steady even heat. They wont be able to handle big temp variations obviously, only 100 w or whatever size aquarium heater(s) used, but it is simple, quick and easy. I used the push together type with gaskets, they can be disassembled if need be, rather than the pipes/fitting that needs to be glued.
You could make a square one to go around your grow room with 1-2-3-4.....whatever heaters inside........or some other shape!

Tube heaters are quite common in the UK, something to do with dampness I believe raining.gif

This here sort of thingies

images
9k=
images
images
9k=

cross-gasket.jpg

All of the aquarium heaters I'm finding have the thermostat directly on the heating tube. Can I epoxy the top of the tube through the end of a plumbing fitting so I can adjust it or will the heater melt the PVC if it's touching it?

I'd kill for some rain right now. it was -12C when I left the house this morning and that's warm these days:)

Last edited:
It shouldn't be a problem in a closed system with water or oil in them.
They are not meant to operate without being immersed.
I would use silicon over epoxy to seal the hole myself.

Good question, I suppose that would be doable with epoxy, never tried it though. The heater won't get hot enough to be of any danger to the PVC, provided of course it is filled some 90-95 %. You need to leave a little air for expansion.

The ones I made has a pipe running up to above ground level for the cable, and with a float stick so I can see they are still full of brine and not leaking.

Grey Bear, How do you deal with the thermostat adjustment? I'd imagine I'd at least need to dial it in at the beginning?

Edit: Thanks Corgy. How much salt do you use in your brine?

I've ordered a 100w submersible aquarium heater too. Thanks for the heads up Grey Bear and Corgy! I've also been curious as to what tube heaters are and the explanation is appreciated.

Cheers!

"AFN smoke out"

I used 150 g per liter, which gives a freeze point around -10 C.

I would start with a setting of 70f-75f and see how that handles the heat you are trying to deal with.
Most pvc plumbing parts will slip fit to water tightness if they are not under pressure.
If you need to adjust it just pop the cap off , adjust and replace.

Thanks a lot Corgy & Grey Bear! :Sharing One:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by thetreeman
Im sure these new GN lights are very dialed in, and weight/watt SHOULD blow the HPS out of the water. That said, unless you are living in an area where electricity is VERY expensive, Im not sure that I personally could justify the cost over another LED light that will give you 2x the amount of light for about the same cost, even if it uses more electricity. Most popular LED manufacturers have fairly good spectrums these days, or they wouldnt still be in business. Id bet if you were running a single Mars 2 900, using 400w total (and costing about $350 USD) vs 600w of HPS, the LED would kill the HPS....

My energy is a pretty average cost for the UK at 12.00 P/KWH and the extra 250w for the 400w Mars will cost me a tad under £230 a year on a 20/4 hour daily cycle....in 5 years it will have cost me an extra £1150.
For me to run a 600w HPS in my 1.2m room it would cost me £414 a year more than the 2 HS1s and £2069 over 5 years.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jackmc
Mitch or TaNg what wattage bulb are the GN lights using?

The different colours use different amounts but on average I would guess their driven at around 2w which is pretty much what most '3w' chips are driven at.

i hope all the Mephisto fans are having a great Friday 13th I started mine with a little mix of CC Blues and Chemdogging.

SAVING OF 2K IN 5 YEARS wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! praise the heavens above go LEDs !!!! POW

Back