Mephisto Genetics Mephisto LED vs HPS Sour Crack AF-SOG!

I'm with gbd. I think my current grow has really suffered from a temp range of 65F to 78F.

Looking back on notes from my Mephisto Mountain Meds thread and I had temps that would be around 80 with the lights on and 66 with the lights out. They seemed to grow fine and I haven't seen anything suffering yet, but I'd rather have everything as ideal as possible.

Are you able to dial down the speed of your extraction fan?

Yes, with it at 50% it still gets no higher than 72.

It's not an ideal solution, and you'd see some very high humidity, But you could have your extraction on a timer to click on for 10-15 minutes per hour.. Only a stop gap idea though, we were doing it in the project room for the Sour stompers and CO. for the first 3 weeks of flowering. That's in a basement room where it was much colder than the tent room.

75-80 is the window we always aim for.

I know this was asked to GBD, but we've got ours adjusted to fully kick in at no less than 30 degrees c, it does help.

After 3 winters in the mountains on the farm i'm so envious of people with central heating..

I'm already trying to maintain the humidity as best I can. It's been in the 60's% the past few days. I think the waste water reservoir in the tent is contributing to that so I'll be pumping that out after every feeding from now on.

Hey Mitch or gbd,
I have used and had several clients use a 50w-100w submersible aquarium heater in a 1gallon glass jar of water to help keep temps up in smaller spaces like that.
The heater maintains that gallon of water at temp pretty well and safely (a big concern).
You would be surprised how well that warm gallon of water will keep your grow area.

Thanks for the heads up! That sounds like a great solution. I'm going to look into it more. Any recommendations?

On brand? nah
Whatever is least expensive at your local petco petsmart, petshop, even the evil walmart has them in their bigger stores.
digital settings are not necessarily better analog with these.
50w works pretty good in a 1 gallon jar mason or pickle jar.
You should be able to get them for $10-20 US
The nice thing about them is they won't come on until the temp drops below what you have it set at, and they are designed to keep H2o between 65f -90f.

You do need to keep an eye on the water level in the jar though, as they will burn out if you let them run dry.

You do need to keep an eye on the water level in the jar though, as they will burn out if you let them run dry.

Actually most have auto shut off if the get too warm, like the one linked to above. Only real cheap ones do not have thermal auto switch. Never buy one without it, I have a burn mark in a wooden floor to show what happens when you thoughtlessly take one out of the fish tank to put it down for just 20 seconds, the door bell rang, and Bob's ya uncle.....the wood was actually smouldering and ready to start burning, only the smell made the penny drop in a rather panicked way......be warned!

To make it easier to have in the grow room, rather than having a glass jar, why not make your own tube heater, PVC pipe, 2 end caps, a bit of silicone to waterproof the cable hole........any length desired, and it will give more even and faster heat distribution than a jar. Could even put a couple of goldplated little feet on it to lift it a bit off the floor......

Last edited:
On brand? nah
Whatever is least expensive at your local petco petsmart, petshop, even the evil walmart has them in their bigger stores.
digital settings are not necessarily better analog with these.
50w works pretty good in a 1 gallon jar mason or pickle jar.
You should be able to get them for $10-20 US
The nice thing about them is they won't come on until the temp drops below what you have it set at, and they are designed to keep H2o between 65f -90f.

We actually have about 3 of those unused.
I'll see if I can't dig them out
I'm just mid designing the mephisto catalogue, so have been routed to a desk thus far today.

Good idea, Thank you.

What are tube heaters? Does anyone know if and where they're sold in the US? When I search them I only find large area heaters and heating elements. Thanks

Thx for reminding me that i have a ton of Heatcables n co from my Reptiles Grey Bear.. i totally lost the sight for this to heat up the Led Tent in the Colder Days Better than Blasting out thousands of watts for a Radiator Heater.

What are tube heaters? Does anyone know if and where they're sold in the US? When I search them I only find large area heaters and heating elements. Thanks

31GrYhjvWWL._SY450_.jpg
Yeah, they are a mostly unknown phenomenon on the left side of the big pond. Easy and dirt cheap to make one yourself. I have a couple of DIY rectangular ones that is keeping mah passionfruits plants in the garden from getting cold feet in the winter, buried 50 cm down. A 100 w aquarium heater, 63 mm PVC pipe, 4 x 90 bends, a T piece for the cable, and filled with brine. Depending where you plan to use/store it, brine is a good idea if there is chance it might be exposed to frost one wintry day when not operating. It could also be filled with oil I suppose, if that is ones inclination.

ps: I actually got 1 passion fruit last year from a passiflora edulis, didn't count on that to happen in this clime......

Seedling pads can be a very good safe solution as well.
Keeping your root zone from becoming to cool is the real issue for most of you growing indoors on cold climates. If your root zone temps stay warm, the cool air temps will not have as noticeable effect.
I keep my rez in contact with the concrete in order to help my rez's stay cool, as our cold is not as severe as many of you experience.

Thanks Corgy! Do you think they work well as space heaters? The ceramic space heater I an using now draws a lot of power and causes my tent temp to cycle up and down. :thank:

Back