Mephisto Genetics Mephisto LED vs HPS Sour Crack AF-SOG!

This whole comparison grow is just plain awesome

Interesting developments....... Given the temp differences, especially at the root zone.........dunno what can eventually be said.........???????........other than a final "estimate ".........Sorry Mitch, but no matter what the outcome........punters will enthusiastically be toing and froing......and since no total power usage is recorded over total grow time.........

Better shut this down here on the forum, and let it run for your own "research".........

It could easily backfire cavewoman.gif

Last edited:
I think these points need to be repeated... As Mitch states, this was never meant to be a proper scientific comparison to determine which lights are better... This is for Mephisto to evaluate how the HS1's perform for THEM vs. their traditional growing methods, given THEIR normal growing conditions/environment. As they are finding out, LED's might not be best for them during the winter months... and they could end up seeing the exact opposite results in summer. Either way this is still a great thread, let's not get too caught up in the results guys... Just seeing so many awesome plants packed into two tents is enough reason for me to watch :smoke:
:Sharing One:

Just some points !

1) leds have been hung at exactly what tang specified when I asked to double check, 55-60 cm.

2) there is no central heating here.
at the moment in northern spain daytime temps are 13 deg c, night around 5.

3) this isn't a scientific comparison, it's just for fun and for our own evaluation.

4) please bare in mind this isn't the only thing we have going on here.

5) I'm not in favour of either lighting type, and it's way to early to draw any conclusions.

6) of course we are doing our best to adjust the environment to get the best growth from each tent, but we only have what we have, and have to make do.

7) in summer here you could well see the opposite to the results we are all seeing thus far.

Interesting developments....... Given the temp differences, especially at the root zone.........dunno what can eventually be said.........???????........other than a final "estimate ".........Sorry Mitch, but no matter what the outcome........punters will enthusiastically be toing and froing......and since no total power usage is recorded over total grow time.........

Better shut this down here on the forum, and let it run for your own "research".........

It could easily backfire View attachment 422859

This was only ever for our own research,
had we been gifted the led's for testing purposes.. Then we would have discussed with the manufacturer and figured out a plan, however as they were bought people will just have to take it for what it is, a fun grow-off.

i'm sure I also stated that this was a grow for our apprentice to cut his teeth on, apart from posting the photos and talking to you guys it's hands off for me.

Even if it becomes a 'how not to grow with led' guide, there's valuable information to be obtained for us all.

The power consumption will be easy to figure out, since we know what both types of lights are drawing, the lighting schedule, and by harvest how many days the grow went for.

It it may end up that we repeat the grow in summer when led usage is more favourable and was what we initially had in mind, but we have to stay flexible as seed projects and seed production will always take precedence as that's what's keeping a roof over our heads and our lights on.

if anyone has the time, skill, money, devotion and willingness to conduct a scientific test where they can control 2 spaces environments to the nth degree, then I emplore them to do so, however if growing autos and therefore growing from seed you're still going to have the variable of plant differences/phenotype splits and so forth to contend with.

this may not be what you want to see, but I'm sure others do, and I'm sure they have the intelligence to take what they see with a pinch of salt given all the information and reasoning I'm providing here.

Mitch, it is looking fine to me.
Both batches,
And posting a comparison on how things are working for your growing conditions and style is perfectly reasonable.
You have posted plenty of caveats pointing out that this thread is an observation in light of that.
I can't see how anyone can reasonably criticize that.
GN's new lights are going to be grown in a host of conditions, with growers of many differing levels. This is one of them.
I hope the thread remains a friendly observation and people will continue to mind their manners.

GB

Hi Mitch, How's the grow off going since you started venting the HPS tent through the LED tent?

Sorry guys been ko'd with some flu so haven't had chance to look in on them much.
The led plants were picking up, I also took the glass out of the Og shade.
Will try and sort an update tomorrow. Cheers

Get well soon brother...:pighug:

Get well Mitch. The flu has been going around my area. One friend landed in the hospital. Cheers

Back