Mephisto Genetics Mephisto LED vs HPS Sour Crack AF-SOG!

I see your point TaNg, but how many watts of HS1 would you need to equal (just for example sake) the 400w draw Mars2 900? I dont think 2 of them running at 150w would do it, but maybe 3 would? I really hope more people take the time to do some relatively controlled, side by side grows, like mephisto is doing here. It will be very interesting to watch this thread to see how things turn out. Im not trying to put the HS1 down at all, but Im not sure how much you can really do with just 75w of energy, even tho it is using the best and newest technology to produce the light. I understand that rebels are very efficient leds, but are they 100% more efficient than the leds used in competitors lights? I understand that its not all about the leds, drivers make a big difference also, and Im not really much of an expert on the technical side of it. If the 600w HPS outperforms 2 HS1's then that will definitely be an eye opener, and also discredit some of what GN has been claiming.

I see your point TaNg, but how many watts of HS1 would you need to equal (just for example sake) the 400w draw Mars2 900? I dont think 2 of them running at 150w would do it, but maybe 3 would? I really hope more people take the time to do some relatively controlled, side by side grows, like mephisto is doing here. It will be very interesting to watch this thread to see how things turn out. Im not trying to put the HS1 down at all, but Im not sure how much you can really do with just 75w of energy, even tho it is using the best and newest technology to produce the light. I understand that rebels are very efficient leds, but are they 100% more efficient than the leds used in competitors lights? I understand that its not all about the leds, drivers make a big difference also, and Im not really much of an expert on the technical side of it. If the 600w HPS outperforms 2 HS1's then that will definitely be an eye opener, and also discredit some of what GN has been claiming.

The only thing I have to compare them too is my previous lights the MS0006 and 2 of these seem the match if not better 2 of the mod6s. Two MS0006s would draw between 360-380w. I was averaging 1-1.5gpw from the MS0006 with autos is this anywhere near what you get with the Mars 400w or are you closer to 2gpw? If we can sus the difference between the MS0006 and the Mars we might be able to work it a comparison of to the HS1s.

There are 3 things I put the efficiency down to and that's the Rebels the spectrum and the holographic diffuser.

I dont have a mars2 400w, just using it as an example because people report good results with the mars lights and its relatively cheap. Im not growing anything at all right now, just observing and learning. Really best would be to do a SOG of clones in a controlled environment and compare yield differences. Yield / watt Im sure the HS1's would fare well vs competitors, but when you consider the value of MJ in most places, paying an extra few $$$ for a significant increase in yield is well worth it for most growers. Its possible that these plants are just behind a bit because of he temp differences also, Im not sure how much difference a few degrees makes, but HPS puts out more radiation energy I think. I wonder what kind of readings you would get using an infrared thermometer to measure the temperature of the actual leaves while the lights are on....

If the HPS outperforms 2 HS1's then that will definitely be an eye opener, and also discredit some of what GN has been claiming.

What are two HS1's supposed to be equivalent too in HPS?

People were growing weed indoors in the 1800s?!? Just messing with ya. :Sharing One:

:Haha:

looks like no one has answered your question so I will give it a shot. the main reason for trimming lower leaves and branches is to get more light to the lower buds and let the plant direct more energy to the top buds. I do not trim branches but use a progressive harvest instead.taking the top buds when they mature and then allowing the lower buds to mature before harvesting them. this is a method suggested in the dutch seed grow guide I only take fan leaves when I can not tuck them out of the way to get more light to lower buds.but taking lower branches is common practice when using scrog to alow more energy to be directed to the top colas this is part of the art of growing and everyone has their own style but as long as you know the reason for removing a branch or water leave you will find what works best for you and the strains you grow thru trial and error.hope this helps. those lower branches do provide energy to the plant so I would not take them until the plant canopy gets bit enough to shield them from direct light and the leaves serve as storehouses for starch that the plant uses in the last days of flowering so it is a bit of a balancing act.as you gain experiance at it you will develop good instincts to guide you.this is as much an art as a science

Thanks for the breakdown, Maurice. Hope all is good in your grow room!

Sorry I didn't answer that!
basically when you grow plants in very close proximity to each other .. Usually the very first set of branches gets neglected and even when left to grow they sometimes only reach 5cm long, the second set can grow strong and wide, however in an autoflower sea of green you don't always want that, but if they remain within the confines of the pot size, it's generally fine to leave them.

im not saying this is a technique for all autos, just an afsog technique ;)

No problem, and thanks for further explaining it for me!

The only thing I have to compare them too is my previous lights the MS0006 and 2 of these seem the match if not better 2 of the mod6s. Two MS0006s would draw between 360-380w. I was averaging 1-1.5gpw from the MS0006 with autos is this anywhere near what you get with the Mars 400w or are you closer to 2gpw? If we can sus the difference between the MS0006 and the Mars we might be able to work it a comparison of to the HS1s.

There are 3 things I put the efficiency down to and that's the Rebels the spectrum and the holographic diffuser.

Then again Dear TaNG.... The yields you are getting are awesome and that is not due to ANY light. Sure GN Leds are great but the main thing about your monster plants is YOU.

And I think a lot of new growers here can sometimes forget that, they see your plants and yield and then thinking...WoW...those GN Leds must be fantanstic.....but thats really not the whole truth when it comes to you.

Jim

edit: I know...I was one of them a few years back and got a ms0006 based only on you and your grows....and I did not like that light very much at all. I like my street lights, maybe because I am so used to them.

I almost think you can grow weed under a few candles... and then we all will rave about candles. lol

Last edited:
Im sure these new GN lights are very dialed in, and weight/watt SHOULD blow the HPS out of the water. That said, unless you are living in an area where electricity is VERY expensive, Im not sure that I personally could justify the cost over another LED light that will give you 2x the amount of light for about the same cost, even if it uses more electricity. Most popular LED manufacturers have fairly good spectrums these days, or they wouldnt still be in business. Id bet if you were running a single Mars 2 900, using 400w total (and costing about $350 USD) vs 600w of HPS, the LED would kill the HPS....

Then again Dear TaNG.... The yields you are getting are awesome and that is not due to ANY light. Sure GN Leds are great but the main thing about your monster plants is YOU.

And I think a lot of new growers here can sometimes forget that, they see your plants and yield and then thinking...WoW...those GN Leds must be fantanstic.....but thats really not the whole truth when it comes to you.

Jim

edit: I know...I was one of them a few years back and got a ms0006 based only on you and your grows....and I did not like that light very much at all. I like my street lights, maybe because I am so used to them.

I almost think you can grow weed under a few candles... and then we all will rave about candles. lol

not just me bro have a look through here https://www.autoflower.org/f109/grownorthern-wall-fame-16596.html

I dont have a mars2 400w, just using it as an example because people report good results with the mars lights and its relatively cheap. Im not growing anything at all right now, just observing and learning. Really best would be to do a SOG of clones in a controlled environment and compare yield differences. Yield / watt Im sure the HS1's would fare well vs competitors, but when you consider the value of MJ in most places, paying an extra few $$$ for a significant increase in yield is well worth it for most growers. Its possible that these plants are just behind a bit because of he temp differences also, Im not sure how much difference a few degrees makes, but HPS puts out more radiation energy I think. I wonder what kind of readings you would get using an infrared thermometer to measure the temperature of the actual leaves while the lights are on....

good post.gif

Back