Mephisto Genetics Mephisto LED vs HPS Sour Crack AF-SOG!

I must agree with tangTaNg's Thangafter five year's of using led I would not go back to hps or mh, they work know doubt, but over the last 50 years of involvement with cannabis,and seeing many hps and mh grow's at least 30 years of that, I believe that mh and hps is 19th century tech.:grin:(this is my opinion) and we all know opinion's are as common as a-hole's:grin: no street lights for me :no::peace: don't beat me up because I think it's 19th century tech:peace::Sharing One:

Anyway, also remember guys, the og reflector, it's our first use. It's also our first go at the SOG without potting up, so there are lots of unknowns and new additions going on.

I did some more light measurements just before, with the OG/phantom combo now switched up to 600w this is the info:
70.7 klux @ tent centre point - plant level
11.3 klux @ outer edge - plant level

In comparison to the old style parabolic shade we've used for a long time now..
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture421901-image.jpg

Ignore the word 'faulty'...

At the centre point in this tent @600w - 37.0 klux
Edge of tent - 22.5 klux

Not as intense, but also not much of a drop off either, which we'd always thought. I'd say a much better reflector for a stubby AF SOG grow.. than it's newer equivalent.

Anyway, we'll see how we get on. Joys of live testing eh :)

I must agree with tangTaNg's Thangafter five year's of using led I would not go back to hps or mh, they work know doubt, but over the last 50 years of involvement with cannabis,and seeing many hps and mh grow's at least 30 years of that, I believe that mh and hps is 19th century tech.:grin:(this is my opinion) and we all know opinion's are as common as a-hole's:grin: no street lights for me :no::peace: don't beat me up because I think it's 19th century tech:peace::Sharing One:
People were growing weed indoors in the 1800s?!? Just messing with ya. :Sharing One:

Hey Mitch, one more question.

Do you guys rotate the plants after every feeding or will the plants have the same place in the tents the entire grow?

J

Im sure these new GN lights are very dialed in, and weight/watt SHOULD blow the HPS out of the water. That said, unless you are living in an area where electricity is VERY expensive, Im not sure that I personally could justify the cost over another LED light that will give you 2x the amount of light for about the same cost, even if it uses more electricity. Most popular LED manufacturers have fairly good spectrums these days, or they wouldnt still be in business. Id bet if you were running a single Mars 2 900, using 400w total (and costing about $350 USD) vs 600w of HPS, the LED would kill the HPS....

We've been using and really liking Philips , sorry I'm not at home to give the exact spec now, but are in the region or 50 euros a bulb, or grolux sylvania's are the second choice, they're about 30 euros a pop
isn't the grolux pretty old tech halo phosphor fluorescent? have you tried the newer T5HOs like the wave point ultra growth wave .I am happy to see this unbiased comparison grow and will be following it with great interest.I looked at your website and am considering ordering seeds from you but grow photos primarily. I like the greater versatility they provide but always keep at least one auto in my grow room until I can get those tuned in good luck with this test. it should be very interesting

Sorry to drag this branch snipping issue out, but I think I will give it a try, and I want to do it right. Do you snip the branches as soon as they appear, or do you wait for a specific amount of time?
looks like no one has answered your question so I will give it a shot. the main reason for trimming lower leaves and branches is to get more light to the lower buds and let the plant direct more energy to the top buds. I do not trim branches but use a progressive harvest instead.taking the top buds when they mature and then allowing the lower buds to mature before harvesting them. this is a method suggested in the dutch seed grow guide I only take fan leaves when I can not tuck them out of the way to get more light to lower buds.but taking lower branches is common practice when using scrog to alow more energy to be directed to the top colas this is part of the art of growing and everyone has their own style but as long as you know the reason for removing a branch or water leave you will find what works best for you and the strains you grow thru trial and error.hope this helps. those lower branches do provide energy to the plant so I would not take them until the plant canopy gets bit enough to shield them from direct light and the leaves serve as storehouses for starch that the plant uses in the last days of flowering so it is a bit of a balancing act.as you gain experiance at it you will develop good instincts to guide you.this is as much an art as a science

Sorry I didn't answer that!
basically when you grow plants in very close proximity to each other .. Usually the very first set of branches gets neglected and even when left to grow they sometimes only reach 5cm long, the second set can grow strong and wide, however in an autoflower sea of green you don't always want that, but if they remain within the confines of the pot size, it's generally fine to leave them.

im not saying this is a technique for all autos, just an afsog technique ;)

Im sure these new GN lights are very dialed in, and weight/watt SHOULD blow the HPS out of the water. That said, unless you are living in an area where electricity is VERY expensive, Im not sure that I personally could justify the cost over another LED light that will give you 2x the amount of light for about the same cost, even if it uses more electricity. Most popular LED manufacturers have fairly good spectrums these days, or they wouldnt still be in business. Id bet if you were running a single Mars 2 900, using 400w total (and costing about $350 USD) vs 600w of HPS, the LED would kill the HPS....

Mitch or TaNg what wattage bulb are the GN lights using?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by thetreeman

My energy is a pretty average cost for the UK at 12.00 P/KWH and the extra 250w for the 400w Mars will cost me a tad under £230 a year on a 20/4 hour daily cycle....in 5 years it will have cost me an extra £1150.
For me to run a 600w HPS in my 1.2m room it would cost me £414 a year more than the 2 HS1s and £2069 over 5 years.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jackmc
Mitch or TaNg what wattage bulb are the GN lights using?

The different colours use different amounts but on average I would guess their driven at around 2w which is pretty much what most '3w' chips are driven at.

i hope all the Mephisto fans are having a great Friday 13th I started mine with a little mix of CC Blues and Chemdogging.

Back