Lighting May attempt a DIY cob build need help

35 watts would give you a very efficient light. 50 watts is the standard most people use though. You could go with 4 cobs at 50w per bar or 5 cobs at 35w per bar.

At 50 watts

4 clu048-1812 including holders -$19 each
4 Sst-120 passive heatsink- $14.75 each
1 hlg-240h-c1400- $67

That's the 4 cob bar for 200w. Northern is sold out on everything it seems but it's possible to place an order or call for availability.

At 35 watts

5 clu048-1812 including holders-$19 each
5 sst105 -$10.75 each or sst-120-$14.75 each
1 hlg-185h-c700- $50

If you get the cobs from northern they include holders if not I would recommend ideal chip lock holders. Can't remember the part# sorry.

Efficiency is basically photons to heat ratio. The goal is more photons and less heat. But building the most efficient light is very expensive and not necessarily worth it. That's why 35&50 watts are the most popular choices. Assuming a very low efficiency number of 50% light to 50% heat, simple math for every 100w you have at the wall your plants will see 50w and you create 50w of heat. Cheaper led panels are 20-25% efficient, again simple math for every 100w of cheap leds your plants see 25w and you create 75w of heat.

@budelee great to see you dipping your toe in to the COB building world!:d5::pass:
This is a great thread with some awesome comments and advice!
I can't wait to see what you build and see your grow journal, I know you will rockit and be amazed at what COBs can do , you'll wish you tried them years ago!
@BigSm0 sterling work brother and way to showing great knowledge and AFN vibe!!:worship::vibe:

@Ripper very nice additional info and support, nice one brother:d5:

all the best

arty

@budelee great to see you dipping your toe in to the COB building world!:d5::pass:
This is a great thread with some awesome comments and advice!
I can't wait to see what you build and see your grow journal, I know you will rockit and be amazed at what COBs can do , you'll wish you tried them years ago!
@BigSm0 sterling work brother and way to showing great knowledge and AFN vibe!!:worship::vibe:

@Ripper very nice additional info and support, nice one brother:d5:

all the best

arty
Thanks arty and it's great to see you. Budelee will be one happy son of a gun come plug in time that's for sure.

Hey @BigSm0 @arty zan @Ripper ,are these drivers good for a grow light?? May be able to get some freebies!!
image.jpeg

Not for cobs unfortunately but I do think the samsung hard strips are 12v. I picked up a bunch of them awhile back for a veg light project that's still collecting dust. 7 or 11 dollars per strip and they are ridiculously bright.

Okay,im gonna pass on the freebie drivers,i dont want it more complicated than it has to be..i send kudos to you guys that really "get" all this....heres what i see the build looking like to cover the 4'x4' area..am i close to realistic?? Ill buy the 2100ma drivers .. @BigSm0 @arty zan @Ripper ,hey rip,i been reading and re-reading your lamp build,i like how u built the frame!!! Dang pic turned
image.jpeg

Okay,im gonna pass on the freebie drivers,i dont want it more complicated than it has to be..i send kudos to you guys that really "get" all this....heres what i see the build looking like to cover the 4'x4' area..am i close to realistic?? Ill buy the 2100ma drivers .. @BigSm0 @arty zan @Ripper ,hey rip,i been reading and re-reading your lamp build,i like how u built the frame!!! Dang pic turnedView attachment 678344
Looks good are you going to build one frame or 3 individual frames?

Looks good are you going to build one frame or 3 individual frames?
I think they will be individuals tied together for ease of raising/lowering...i spaced the lamps to cast 6" over for the four feet on the one side,on the other i had to space them 18 inches apart to still have the 6" overcast to make the four feet..

Back