Lighting May attempt a DIY cob build need help

Budelee There are endless options for your space. A common configuration would be (3). 4foot 4 cob bars.

Clu048-1212 -12.50 each
$150

12 bjb holders -2.50 each
$30

3 meanwell hlg-185h-c1400 -55 each
$165

Sst120 pin fun heatsinks -15 each
$180

So this is the bare bones 12 cob setup. You can go stronger or weaker on the cobs by adjusting the amperage. 50w is the standard but many folks go up and down from here. Adjustable drivers are also a huge help. So for an extra few bucks per driver you could upgrade to a 2100ma driver vs a 1400ma driver and dim them down but have more power if you want later on. The additional cost would be in the heatsinks that need to be sized up for $5 each.

so to get 600w your at $525 which is waaaay more than 600w of hps. With these cobs your basically doubling the par watt for watt against hps.

Basic parts list to start and we can adjust from here. If you want to spend the full grand we can get you something real nice. But I don't think it's necessary.

Let me know what you think. :vibe::cheers::pop:

The days of 58 dollar cobs are way behind us. Citizens at 12$ are a very competitive cob. I believe the 17 dollar ones are just about even and the 25 dollar ones beat Cree.
Awesome..im sure there are different citizens,so which ones am i looking for.and for somebody with 0 experience,how do know the difference between the models and what their capabilities are,i prolly have to have an idea of lamps to plan for the driver right,like plan it all out to make sure its all compatible and bieng driven to a certain efficiency right..??? I think when this thread is done it will make anybody feel comfortable with a diy led,with knowledge,you guys are light years ahead of me,Nd i wouldnt even begin to think about a project like this without you guys backing me!!!!

Awesome..im sure there are different citizens,so which ones am i looking for.and for somebody with 0 experience,how do know the difference between the models and what their capabilities are,i prolly have to have an idea of lamps to plan for the driver right,like plan it all out to make sure its all compatible and bieng driven to a certain efficiency right..??? I think when this thread is done it will make anybody feel comfortable with a diy led,with knowledge,you guys are light years ahead of me,Nd i wouldnt even begin to think about a project like this without you guys backing me!!!!
Personally get the best ones

Budelee There are endless options for your space. A common configuration would be (3). 4foot 4 cob bars.

Clu048-1212 -12.50 each
$150

12 bjb holders -2.50 each
$30

3 meanwell hlg-185h-c1400 -55 each
$165

Sst120 pin fun heatsinks -15 each
$180

So this is the bare bones 12 cob setup. You can go stronger or weaker on the cobs by adjusting the amperage. 50w is the standard but many folks go up and down from here. Adjustable drivers are also a huge help. So for an extra few bucks per driver you could upgrade to a 2100ma driver vs a 1400ma driver and dim them down but have more power if you want later on. The additional cost would be in the heatsinks that need to be sized up for $5 each.

so to get 600w your at $525 which is waaaay more than 600w of hps. With these cobs your basically doubling the par watt for watt against hps.

Basic parts list to start and we can adjust from here. If you want to spend the full grand we can get you something real nice. But I don't think it's necessary.

Let me know what you think. :vibe::cheers::pop:
This is an awesome price for a better system..doesnt increasing the amperage shorten the lifespan?? Will the unit be adjustable from veg to flower or dimmable( i see what you posted,disregard rhat question) ?? I still have lots of questions but i trust your recommendations,for that price i could build the two i need to make my move from HID!!

This is an awesome price for a better system..doesnt increasing the amperage shorten the lifespan?? Will the unit be adjustable from veg to flower or dimmable( i see what you posted,disregard rhat question) ?? I still have lots of questions but i trust your recommendations,for that price i could build the two i need to make my move from HID!!
And your electricity savings and buds will love you

Their lifespan is way longer than you would ever need. These are top quality parts unlike the production panels. But yes a little decrease in the 50k hours possibly. They are rated to be used much higher than we use them anyways.

So the reason for the 1212 cob setup is just to get you a starting point so you could see how prices are. The drivers are also less expensive with the 1212's.

Basically Cree and citizen make very good cobs. I use the citizen now because if price and performance. Cree is also very good but a little more expensive. We can explore those options as well. For now citizen:smoking:. Citizens cobs start at the 048 series 1212, 1812, and 1818 then you jump into the 058 series 1825. The price for the 1212 is 13.25 each and the 1818 is 26 so there would Be a 153 dollar price increase and the drivers would need to be larger to handle its higher voltage. I know very confusing.

You first need to decide if this original list is good or if you want to spend more for a higher efficiency. if you want to spend another 200 or so you could upgrade to the 1812's or 1818's Remember you also need to buy wire, thermal paste, and frame materials which could be over $100 alone.

When I build a light I decide what I want to spend. If it's a full time 20 hour a day light that doesn't shut off upgrading from the 1212's is worth it. But starting with the 1212's they are a 36volt cob. Drivers are limited and it usually work out to be 4 cobs per driver based on standard availability and holder voltage limits. You then take 36 and multiply that by the # of cobs. 36X4 = 144 so you need a driver that puts out atleast 144v
http://www.jameco.com/z/HLG-185H-C1400B-Mean-Well-200W-Single-Output-LED-Power-Supply_2189345.html

Now this is to run then at 50 watts. Based on the 1.4 amp output and part of the original list. I would recommend going higher up to a 1750 or a 2100ma driver to increase the wattage and get the dimmable option. You can dim it to 50w each and achieve the same efficiency as the driver that tops them out at 50w. With an option of going up to 75w each cob if needed in the future.

Would a light with 12 50w cobs draw 600w of electricity- sounds like a stupid question but led grow lights from mars etc. What they call a 600w light only draws 3-400 from the wall.
Sorry im still trying to get my head round it all

Back