Lighting May attempt a DIY cob build need help

Would a light with 12 50w cobs draw 600w of electricity- sounds like a stupid question but led grow lights from mars etc. What they call a 600w light only draws 3-400 from the wall.
Sorry im still trying to get my head round it all

Yes san bro that would be 600w at the wall if each chip was run at 50w and would beat a 1000w hps easy with less heat and energy used

Would a light with 12 50w cobs draw 600w of electricity- sounds like a stupid question but led grow lights from mars etc. What they call a 600w light only draws 3-400 from the wall.
Sorry im still trying to get my head round it all
Ayyye no stupid questions here bro. The problems is there is just so much information and it's very hard to explain in text. 600w of cobs running on the low end 50% efficient would give your plants 300 par watts. Mars 600 is 268 wall watts which at 20% efficient would give your plants 53.6 par watts. This is why I hate production panels, the claims are ridiculous.

When I first started growing autos I had a room divided into 2 spots for 10 plants. I bought 2 hps from amazon which lasted a couple weeks. It got hoooot in there so I started looking into leds. I bought 1 mars to replace one hps, within a week I had another on order since the coverage was not enough. So I hung 2 600's vs 1 hps. The room was the hottest it's ever been and the led side yielded 5 oz less. I will never forget how confused I was and how much time I spent rearranging and changing things. At first I loved the mars it seemed like a real nice quality looking light. Today I'm more educated because I wanted to understand why. Cobs are the first miracle in led growing. Not cheap single chips.

Cheers @2Stoned2Care and @BigSm0 hps like results for less watts is what really interests me. Glad this sub forum was made!
The benefits are real and their really aren't any claims. We often compare to hps but that's based on the efficiency numbers. Nothing stops manufacturers from making the least expensive led light possible and sticking a 1000w comparison sticker on it. Type led into eBay and you'll see exactly what I mean.

So now i am on to start sourcing my parts..any good leads where to buy for best service/prices??

Northern grow lights and cob kits. If you choose anything from cob kits I can pm you a code for 10% off.
Awesome!! I will do that soon..i still have questions tho about some of the parts for the complete kit..

Fire away. I'm a little behind but will do my best. Staff members get their lists first lol!
Thanks bro,you stay extremely busy and ill wait my turn.i was reading the discussion about the use if kapton tape and know that this is a NO,right? But my question about the parts list was ,did that include all the connectors,wires and such? And as far as the driver goes,are they able ti be driven higher than 35%...im sure you covered that already,ill re-read,and follow some more q&a diy threads,then ill start getting my parts after i understand a little better about "efficiency" and rating(wall vs actual).. The build we discussed would be the equivalent of 600watts hid but perform like a 1000 using the power of a 300( these were not the actual numbers used just said that for comparison sake)

Back