Live Stoners Live Stoner Eats !!! Let's See what's for Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice - I love horseradish - Don't think I have ever had fresh grated though. Mine comes in a jar, but noticed that it is always best when the jar is first opened. It tends to lose most of the zing after is has been in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
Horseradish is so touchy, that the best zingy brands will literally harvest, clean, grate and jar it all in one afternoon. Ya gotta. I only buy horseradish when I need it, open it that day. I buy these tiny jars, and it's still usually too much. I LOVE a good clear your sinuses type cocktail sauce. Wegmans, Rollers, and Heluva Good are the best I can find, with a preference for Wegmans Hot Zesty cocktail....which does the busy day bottling for the sake of the horsey. A splash of lemon juice will brighten some cocktail right up, great for any fried seafood IMO.

THEY'RE called KAAAAHBS Joe's dad's stuff

Nice - I love horseradish - Don't think I have ever had fresh grated though. Mine comes in a jar, but noticed that it is always best when the jar is first opened. It tends to lose most of the zing after is has been in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.

Yeah @Duckster ..I usually use jarred...but seen a chef recommending just grating a bit of raw over a steak...I Need to try...:headbang:...I'll let you know.....

Im trying to remember if I like horseradish or not.. Its good on something but i cant remember what.. OOOO oysters!!! hello!!! :chef::baby:

On all beef @The Elvis ...and of course it is the major ingredient in tartar sauce...so good with all sea food..............:headbang:

To knock it down a bit for a salad dressing I stick it in a small jar with olive oil..vinegar...salt..honey and shake to emulsify....:chef:...

I'll also toss out that in some circles, you'd better be prepared for a debate over if your cornbread should be made using white or yellow cornmeal. Bit of a hot topic for some southerners in particular. I'll take either, just depends on what I'm pairing it with. Yellow if I want a sweeter, more desert or cake like bread. White if I'm looking for more of a hearty bread to go with something already sweet like boiled cabbage and kielbasa.
YUM!!!! :chef:

I Think I have seen both available locally.....:headbang:..is it the gritty grain or powder one...?

Have to be careful with that fresh. Remember when I was a kid a neighbor gave my dad some fresh root to play with. He had it in the blender chopping it up on the way to making sauce. I always liked the smell, so decided to walk up to the blender with the freshly copped and put my nose right up to it and take a big old sniff. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't know that the inside of your nose could hurt that much!!! Pain went down after a few minutes....but just don't DO IT!!!! :smoking:

:crying: I dried some chillies in the dehydrator.......then bud after it...............made for an Interesting mix in a joint......woof..Hot Lungs.....:hookah:....

Folgers Instant Coffee (super fine)
Paprika
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Sea Salt
Cracked Pepper
Dry Mustard Powder
Brown Sugar

That's the approximate ratio....it's a taste thing. Lots of coffee and paprika, not a lot of sugar, as it will burn and ruin everything. Salt to taste. Plenty of pepper, then just fill in the blanks with the garlic, onion and mustard. I don't measure much of anything unless I'm baking desserts that require precision like pie crusts and cookies. [emoji514] Measuring everything else is just a hassle...besides, I am all about tasting EVERYTHING as I go. I even make a little micro paddy when I make meatballs and meatloaf. Fire up some little pan and sear a quick 4 min taste before I commit. I usually have to tweak it at least once. Those two dishes are notorious for eating through strong flavors. You put a bunch in and its just getting lost in the mix. Heavy hands make good balls and loaves. Bottoms up if you will.

Cheers @Dr.Bubbles ...I've seen everything but the onion powder locally............:headbang:

If you want a fool proof way to make cornbread/corncake/corn muffins/hush puppies, grab some Jiffy brand Corn Muffin mix. It's not overly sweet, even shipped from Amazon, it's only $8.99 for a 6 pack or usually about a dollar in the store local. The Jiffy mix has you add in a small can of creamed corn and depending on what you're going for, run it through a food processor first. For savory cornbread like Jalapeno Cheddar cornbread, it's good out the can....for more dessert style cornbread and Hush Puppies I like it in the food processor better. Keep it moist too. Denk is better. It can get dry if you don't add enough fat or overcook it. It's one of those dishes that will always be dry from someone who makes dry cakes and such...lol. Plus one for the cast iron skillet as well, that's the best.

Yeah a mix makes it simple but I find Jiffy a bit sweet. I use Martha White Mexican style if I use a mix. 1000s of great things to add. Know a few people that make it dry on purpose. They take the previous nights leftover cornbread and break it up in a bowl with milk and sugar for breakfast.

Yeah @Duckster ..I usually use jarred...but seen a chef recommending just grating a bit of raw over a steak...I Need to try...:headbang:...I'll let you know.....

On all beef @The Elvis ...and of course it is the major ingredient in tartar sauce...so good with all sea food..............:headbang:

To knock it down a bit for a salad dressing I stick it in a small jar with olive oil..vinegar...salt..honey and shake to emulsify....:chef:...

I Think I have seen both available locally.....:headbang:..is it the gritty grain or powder one...?

:crying: I dried some chillies in the dehydrator.......then bud after it...............made for an Interesting mix in a joint......woof..Hot Lungs.....:hookah:....

Cheers @Dr.Bubbles ...I've seen everything but the onion powder locally............:headbang:
Cocktail....lol. Tartar sauce is Mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, lemon juice and Old Bay....excellent for fried clams and ya GOTTA make it from scratch.

Im trying to remember if I like horseradish or not.. Its good on something but i cant remember what.. OOOO oysters!!! hello!!! :chef::baby:
Beef you loon:crying:

I'll also toss out that in some circles, you'd better be prepared for a debate over if your cornbread should be made using white or yellow cornmeal. Bit of a hot topic for some southerners in particular. I'll take either, just depends on what I'm pairing it with. Yellow if I want a sweeter, more desert or cake like bread. White if I'm looking for more of a hearty bread to go with something already sweet like boiled cabbage and kielbasa.
YUM!!!! :chef:

Yeah I like both. I find the white finer and drier

Cocktail....lol. Tartar sauce is Mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, lemon juice and Old Bay....excellent for fried clams and ya GOTTA make it from scratch.

Hells yes - I use a ton of horseradish and tabasco in my cocktail sauce. It aint good unless your sinuses clear and your forehead sweats:yoinks:

Ah lord I've had a few bowls and all this talk of tasty treats had made me hungry. Saturday morning is my time to "make groceries" (local term for shopping for groceries). God only knows what I'll be coming home with this week.:shrug:

I'd say that the stuff I usually use is kind of between gritty and powder. Probably varies from brand to brand quite a bit. I just use the Quaker stuff. The yellow if memory serves right is a bit grittier, but I'm out of it right now to say for sure with slimming down the pantry for the move next week.

Shopping from day to day and avoiding anything that you won't use all of it in one meal (like say...condiments) is getting to be a drag. Too, too, TOO much take out, fast food, Mc-Taco type crap lately just because it's there and works. Can't wait to get out to the desert, be able to shop again for real food, and be able to cook for more than one so there aren't a ton of leftovers with anything you do. :smoking:

Good tip before going food shopping go shopping for all ur condiments from fast-food restaurant just walk in grab or ask what u need, if they ask just say wife forget to grab some earlier. I'm a condiments packet border u could say. But it's worth it.

Tartar sauce is Mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, lemon juice and Old Bay....excellent for fried clams and ya GOTTA make it from scratch.

Tartar here...mayo..horse radish..chopped capers..gherkin..lemon juice and salt........bit of dill if you have it fresh..........:chef:..goes Best with battered cod..chips and mushy peas...........

ohgodI'mStarvin .....:biggrin:

Yeah I like both. I find the white finer and drier

Sounds like I'm going to have to try again.....:pass:

Hells yes - I use a ton of horseradish and tabasco in my cocktail sauce. It aint good unless your sinuses clear and your forehead sweats:yoinks:

You like chillies too.....?.....

I got gluten free wasabi the other day...stuck it on the plate to try with a steak....hubby thought it was a pea and munched the whole lump.........:crying:.....he wasn't very happy........:crying:

all this talk of tasty treats had made me hungry

I've got Serious munchies....:crying:

Shopping from day to day and avoiding anything that you won't use all of it in one meal (like say...condiments) is getting to be a drag. Too, too, TOO much take out, fast food, Mc-Taco type crap lately just because it's there and works. Can't wait to get out to the desert, be able to shop again for real food, and be able to cook for more than one so there aren't a ton of leftovers with anything you do. :smoking:

Sympathies.....:bighug:..Good Luck with the move....:headbang:

Alaskan nitro horseradish and ketchup best cocktail sauce I've ever had and made.

I normally stick a bit of chilli in......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back