Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Oct-Dec '22. 2700 pagez & 483k viewz

Status
Not open for further replies.
1671160864163.gif

I always thought moose were about the same size as deer. We have a million deer here. Lyme disease capitol of the world. Until I went to Maine and saw a moose that you could probably drive a Volkswagen underneath. Those suckers are yuge :yoinks:

Typical deer around here, maybe ~300lbs (at most), typical moose, ~800-1000 lbs or more. Typical deer, center of gravity about two feet high, typical moose maybe over four feet. It is the high center of gravity that does the horrible damage, moose launch themselves onto the windshield of a car when hit at highway speed, and anyone upright in the front seat is likely going to be killed.

When a deer or bear is hit at highway speed, the radiator and /or engine gets moved back a bit, and the vehicle may be written off, but at least the deer doesn't usually do a high speed entrance into the front seat through the windshield. :biggrin: I avoid night driving here if possible. The risk of animal collision is a hell of a lot more serious than typically understood when moose are involved. I came close, again, to nailing a deer during broad daylight earlier today not far from our home. A few of our stupider neighbours feed them, and they regularly cross the roads near where we live as a result. We have come close any number of times, and actually hit one coming home after a Christmas party three years back. No damage done, I almost got to a stop, but not quite. I literally pushed the deer off its feet, and ran over it at very slow speed, coming to a stop with the deer beneath the car. I had moved over almost far enough the avoid the deer, but after I came to a stop, the car slid sideways into the ditch (the whole road was compact snow and ice). When I got out of the vehicle to check things, the deer, believe it or not was gone, we obviously slid off of it, and it buggered off.

So, there we were, Christmas Eve, about 5 k from home at ~midnight. No tow service available, the dearest in party shoes, me in slightly better shoes, temps at -15C as I recall. Not good. We got lucky though, the first vehicle that came along picked us up and dropped us off at our driveway. The only damage to the car was the license plate was curled a bit around the bottom edge of the bumper. There was quite the collection of deer hair smeared here and there on the bumper and underside of the car though. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back