Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a dude that claims that came from him……

1705619905151.png

I would think permission is a great start. Or at the very least recognition of the starting genetics.

Gnome Automatics has done collabs with numerous breeders quite publicly for example. And the breeders involved recognize that collab. He also has mentioned Mossy numerous time in his interviews he's done with various outlets, and her work (that exists in his) and contributions to the autoflower community.

Nancy from Nancy's Own has a lot of Mephisto in her genetics (I believe she was doing repro's for them.)

It doesn't take much to realize when someone is full of shit when you start asking a few basic questions they can't answer.
I love it when breeders give credit to the predecessor breeders. Realy classy.
Meph's "breeding auto" is proprietary, understandably not giving that up.

But if something is truly old school, widely cultivated, or unknown origins, how could they?

Death Bubba is a BC Bud strain that someone claims is their breeding. But I remember it being clone only long before his business appeared. Maybe he did, but sorry pal, I will get original clones before modified seeds.

Something I was hoping you guys can help me understand....

I've been seeing this on Reddit a lot lately, where guys are growing 10 or more small 1 gallon pots, all with the same strain, and calling it a "pheno hunt".

If it where photo plants, I'd understand. But they are doing it with autos. So if you find a good pheno...what are you going to do? its gone. You can't clone it, you can't reveg it, its gone. So whats the point?

I have a feeling the answer is "Its because you saw that shit on reddit and they are retarded." but I wanted to be sure.
You hit it with the pollen you have ready…..

Permission makes sense for an established breeder to breed in another breeders breed. (Say that 5 times fast).

But if I'm Blue Dreamer and I want to start Blue's Weed Breed LLC, no established breeder is going to let Timmy Shit for Spit use their genetics because they have no clue if he's legit or if he throws dogs out of 2nd story windows.

So yeah, at least recognizing them.

I mean if I were to say cross a strain from one breeder with a strain from another, hit on something awesome, grow a bunch out looking for the best phenotypes, etc etc, would I be out of line to market and sell that? I don't think so. But it would be wrong to lie about where the genetics came from.

As joe-schmo grower playing around and making hybrids, I doubt anyone is going to raise an eyebrow.

If you start marketing those hybrids for sale though; are you now potentially infringing on intellectual property?

1705619832775.png

Do you guys remember Phylos genetic database project? It was supposed to be a genetic registry for cannabis genetics (it turned out into a massive spiral downward though,) but that was supposed to be a "next step" in protecting cannabis genetics.

These would be great questions to ask some of our breeders on-site! @Jean-O , do you have two cents on this?

Permission makes sense for an established breeder to breed in another breeders breed. (Say that 5 times fast).

But if I'm Blue Dreamer and I want to start Blue's Weed Breed LLC, no established breeder is going to let Timmy Shit for Spit use their genetics because they have no clue if he's legit or if he throws dogs out of 2nd story windows.

So yeah, at least recognizing them.

I mean if I were to say cross a strain from one breeder with a strain from another, hit on something awesome, grow a bunch out looking for the best phenotypes, etc etc, would I be out of line to market and sell that? I don't think so. But it would be wrong to lie about where the genetics came from.
I think once you work the line and create something new and unique, then it becomes yours. If you’re just chucking pollen and selling seeds, you’re in the wrong. Every single breeder is starting with someone else’s gear.

I think once you work the line and create something new and unique, then it becomes yours. If you’re just chucking pollen and selling seeds, you’re in the wrong. Every single breeder is starting with someone else’s gear.
True, There's nothing new in music and art. But the better ones say who influenced them as artists.

Now if you are Monsanto.....

I could see that.

If I crossed a mephisto strain and a Barney's farm strain by just chucking some pollen in a tent and sold F1 seeds without saying and just called it "Blue's Blurple Juice", yeah, thats shady as hell.

But if I had the dream of creating Blue's Blurple Juice with the best Grape strain from Mephisto and the grapefruit from Barney's, Crossed them, and ran it through 10 generations of inbreeding to produce a stable phenotype, THEN selling seeds...

Yeah, I can see the difference there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back