Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, how do you check the health of each cell? I would have thought that most cells in a faulty battery would be aging out, but I am not sure I understand the chemistry of the decline. :shrug: :pighug:
My charger that i got when i bought a nicotine vape it not only tells u the power level of a battery but also if its gone faulty and isn’t working!

@JP1 :eyebrows::yeah::pighug::crying:

68C9DFC8-3BE1-4DC1-A31B-F0D6F25C88D9.jpeg
BB7C75FB-2917-496F-9AC6-D3B3BBDBFA28.jpeg

Just curious, how do you check the health of each cell? I would have thought that most cells in a faulty battery would be aging out, but I am not sure I understand the chemistry of the decline. :shrug: :pighug:
That’s just it, the testing. First, though, you need a reliable supplier of used, surplus, etc. cells. I have that in Battery Hookup. Then you need some tools, I’m a sucker for tools, so I bought some and will build others from cheap Chinese bits. You need a meter to test internal resistance, that’s a critical value to use, over 100-150 megohms and the battery is getting close to being done, then a charger to charge to full 4.2v, then a discharge- capacity measurement with another device. You inspect for obvious physical damage, the temp while charging and discharging, then compare the capacity with the data sheet.
For example I just bought some used powerpacks, 28, 3500ma, Panasonic cells in each for $28.00 each, so a buck a cell. They are rated 3500mah and are testing at 32-400mah so great there, the IR is mostly under 50megohm so great there. These cells sell for about $6-7.00 each! I bought more!!
That’s basically it. I bought modem batteries too. They all had 4 cells in each. 2400mh LG brand cells. Cost $0.30/cell so comparable. More work and just okay cells, I’ll be making UPS batteries from them
Hope that give you an idea.

Oh and it only takes one weak cell to ruin a pack. The amazing amount of energy these things store makes them rather dangerous unless handles properly. If they discharge too far they won’t re-charge, if overcharged they tend to explode. . . So they use some circuitry call a BMS battery management system, to control all that stuff. That’s a very important part of the battery, one of the things it will do is shut down the whole pack if one cell goes bad. This is for safety. It also means you can find packs with one bad and the rest good.

Last edited:
That’s just it, the testing. First, though, you need a reliable supplier of used, surplus, etc. cells. I have that in Battery Hookup. Then you need some tools, I’m a sucker for tools, so I bought some and will build others from cheap Chinese bits. You need a meter to test internal resistance, that’s a critical value to use, over 100-150 megohms and the battery is getting close to being done, then a charger to charge to full 4.2v, then a discharge- capacity measurement with another device. You inspect for obvious physical damage, the temp while charging and discharging, then compare the capacity with the data sheet.
For example I just bought some used powerpacks, 28, 3500ma, Panasonic cells in each for $28.00 each, so a buck a cell. They are rated 3500mah and are testing at 32-400mah so great there, the IR is mostly under 50megohm so great there. These cells sell for about $6-7.00 each! I bought more!!
That’s basically it. I bought modem batteries too. They all had 4 cells in each. 2400mh LG brand cells. Cost $0.30/cell so comparable. More work and just okay cells, I’ll be making UPS batteries from them
Hope that give you an idea.

Oh and it only takes one weak cell to ruin a pack. The amazing amount of energy these things store makes them rather dangerous unless handles properly. If they discharge too far they won’t re-charge, if overcharged they tend to explode. . . So they use some circuitry call a BMS battery management system, to control all that stuff. That’s a very important part of the battery, one of the things it will do is shut down the whole pack if one cell goes bad. This is for safety. It also means you can find packs with one bad and the rest good.
1711124648625.gif

Mmm... yeah you know... friend living here went for a surprise visit to see his Dad in the UK....took him to see his friends in his local pub on the Sunday .... made him his favourite...fresh crab on brown bread sanis,..then he had a lie down in the afternoon...and didn't wake up again..

And although they were gutted...his son said what a way to go.... :pass: ..he died Happy..
Wow, my pop, pretty close to the same.
Went to a family reunion, surrounded by several generations, had a blast, went home, never woke up. Man that’s how I want to go. That or a bus, something quick that doesn’t hurt to much.

Wow, my pop, pretty close to the same.
Went to a family reunion, surrounded by several generations, had a blast, went home, never woke up. Man that’s how I want to go. That or a bus, something quick that doesn’t hurt to much.
I think Huxley had the right idea….
1711125706130.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back