Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy St Patty's Day!

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 1.33.59 PM.png

So several months ago I made a batch of 8 marinated pork chops and vacuum sealed then before putting them in the freezer. Then I forgot about them.

Took one out yesterday and pan-fried it. Amazingly good.

Marinate:

• ▢1/3 cup (85 ml) soy sauce (light or all purpose, not dark)
  • ▢2 tbsp brown sugar
  • ▢2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • ▢1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • ▢2 garlic cloves , minced
  • ▢¼ tsp black pepper

Vacuum sealing is awesome. Now I need a separate freezer for even more stuff.

It’s pretty easy, and you can make it with or without alcohol. It’s just a fermentation…..

It’s the same method to make kombucha, you’re just making ginger beer. So instead of using the kombucha starter, you make a “ginger bug” ( google ginger bug recipe), then make ginger beer from there. All you need is a big glass jar (ice t jar), and some locking top bottles…. Plus patience. :pass:
In Charlotte Amalie, USVI, there was a lady who sold ginger beer from a big vat on a cart. It had a lot of ginger, but no alcohol. There was another lady who sold "mauby," a cold drink made from the bitter bark of the mauby shrub with spices and sugar. Very thirst-quenching. You can buy mauby syrup in west-indian stores. I've brewed my own. It's good fresh, or after it ferments. Here's how the traditional mauby ladies used to dispense their product down-island in Barbados and Antigua:
mauby_lady.jpg

I think it was a bit pricey but I wont be getting them too often. Shipping costs really add up on something that heavy
You could prob order thru Walmart with free shipping depending whereabouts u stay!

Lmao whats funny is i too am either drinking a DP or a root beer! No idea what original recipe root beer he was talking about! I usually drink me some A&W!
OG root beer was made with sassafras root. That ingredient was declared illegal when it was discovered that if you feet this stuff to rats by the shovel they get cancer.

If one is so inclined, they can venture out into areas where the plant is growing and harvest their own root. I have seen videos where someone does just that. That kind of adventuring is way off my list of options so I will just have to live without.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back