Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh…. I can take or leave them. Although a good meatballs and Sunday gravy are awesome when made by someone who knows what they’re doing.
We use the term “gravy” in our house too @Frank the Dank, but making less over the years. Always chops, sausage, etc to flavor…and ratchet up the saturated fat. :haha::crying:

I always thought ketchup was invented to cover the smell and taste of eating rancid ground beef. But I have no idea where I got that from... :rofl: Also it has to be only Heinz ketchup or just keep it away from me :wall:
Not surprised to see the meatloaf slander. Bad or even mediocre meatloaf sucks, but if you can make a good meatball you can make a good meatloaf. I think it has to do with the passed down recipes getting it all wrong. I hated my mother's loaf. Also ketchup belongs nowhere near it. BBQ sauce like @Suki813 suggests is great. Or my house I wrap the meatloaf in bacon and cook it on a sheet pan, then broil to crisp (or smoked when I have time then broiled). Served with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet corn and bread :cheers:
The problem is all the generational recipes got started during the depression :rofl: my gma was like "#2 hasn't been eating for me at all lately" and I'm just like well, you may want to try adding some salt or onion or garlic powder into what you're making or something... this woman will boil herself a chicken breast and slap it on a plate with a dry baked potato and call it dinner :rofl:

To the point where she just feeds them fast food when she has them, and now even that he's like "meh." He's taken an interest in cooking lately and he's been learning to identify herbs and spices by smell and to pick the flavors out in dishes, so that he can apply that to figure out what flavors to add to different things. So, I can understand why unseasoned overcooked pot roast and boiled chicken are no longer appealing to him lmao.

Hubby saw some article recently about heavy metals/safety issues with spices. He cleaned out my spice drawer, so I can’t cook anything until checking whether the necessary seasoning is still there. PITA.
Someone would be cooking all their own food for quite some time if they did that in my house :rofl: I need to find somewhere to buy paprika in bulk, I go through one of those normal sized bottles in like 2-3 weeks when I'm cooking regularly. Onion, garlic, paprika, and black and white pepper go into *everything* I cook (even if its got fresh onion and or garlic in it, since they do have distinctively different tastes).

We use the term “gravy” in our house too @Frank the Dank, but making less over the years. Always chops, sausage, etc to flavor…and ratchet up the saturated fat. :haha::crying:
That's what gravy has meant in my family for 100 years. It's gravy if it's got some sort of meat cooked in it all day. Meatballs, sausage links, chicken legs thighs, pork chops... It's sauce if it's with ground beef or ground sausage

I always thought ketchup was invented to cover the smell and taste of eating rancid ground beef. But I have no idea where I got that from... :rofl: Also it has to be only Heinz ketchup or just keep it away from me :wall:
Not surprised to see the meatloaf slander. Bad or even mediocre meatloaf sucks, but if you can make a good meatball you can make a good meatloaf. I think it has to do with the passed down recipes getting it all wrong. I hated my mother's loaf. Also ketchup belongs nowhere near it. BBQ sauce like @Suki813 suggests is great. Or my house I wrap the meatloaf in bacon and cook it on a sheet pan, then broil to crisp (or smoked when I have time then broiled). Served with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet corn and bread :cheers:
Spices in general were used to cover up nasty meat. Hence the expansion of the Spice Trade routes in Medieval times.

Someone would be cooking all their own food for quite some time if they did that in my house :rofl: I need to find somewhere to buy paprika in bulk, I go through one of those normal sized bottles in like 2-3 weeks when I'm cooking regularly. Onion, garlic, paprika, and black and white pepper go into *everything* I cook (even if its got fresh onion and or garlic in it, since they do have distinctively different tastes).
Still waiting on mine to get into cooking. Such an underrated life skill now. I'd probably be single and broke if I couldn't cook :rofl: . I get my spices from the spice house.com. awesome fresh spices. Put back of the yard rub on basically everything and sounds like something you might like. the Peri Peri is fantastic for heat:d5:. Ton of good stuff

Still waiting on mine to get into cooking. Such an underrated life skill now. I'd probably be single and broke if I couldn't cook :rofl: . I get my spices from the spice house.com. awesome fresh spices. Put back of the yard rub on basically everything and sounds like something you might like. the Peri Peri is fantastic for heat:d5:. Ton of good stuff
Oh I've got a spice grinder full of dried reapers for the heat, my plant last year got nearly 5' before I brought it in to overwinter so I've got peppers coming out of my ears between that and all the other different varieties I grew :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back