Jraven's Alaska Sunroom Grow 2017

Something I should have done long ago. Got a light meter app on my android device and a quick comparison shows I'm getting about 1/3 of the available light into the sunroom, on a grey cloudy day.This might be ok in sunny conditions but this season with no direct sun it's sure not.
I'm going to consider changing the glazing on the roof to glass. The heavy duty polycarbonate panels I used there were meant to be bomb proof for an Alaska winter, and they are that:). Their light transmission is @65% . I could replace that with glass and have protective panels of the polycarbonate to put over them in the winter.
Or I could use COBs for supplemental lighting. They look pretty attractive, it would be a easy fix but I am challenged for( off grid) electric power so it is a tough decision.

Something I should have done long ago. Got a light meter app on my android device and a quick comparison shows I'm getting about 1/3 of the available light into the sunroom, on a grey cloudy day.This might be ok in sunny conditions but this season with no direct sun it's sure not.
I'm going to consider changing the glazing on the roof to glass. The heavy duty polycarbonate panels I used there were meant to be bomb proof for an Alaska winter, and they are that:). Their light transmission is @65% . I could replace that with glass and have protective panels of the polycarbonate to put over them in the winter.
Or I could use COBs for supplemental lighting. They look pretty attractive, it would be a easy fix but I am challenged for( off grid) electric power so it is a tough decision.
yeah. juggling Amps can cause headaches, good morning Jrav!
Morning homies,that's farming for ya making changes to fit the weather in a constant struggle to give ol mother nature something to smile about,over the years I sure have had to make a lot of adjustments,farmin ain't easy ,but you got it .

Morning homies,that's farming for ya making changes to fit the weather in a constant struggle to give ol mother nature something to smile about,over the years I sure have had to make a lot of adjustments,farmin ain't easy ,but you got it .
For sure brother, it took a long time to get to this point, and now I see it's not done yet...but I'm in it for the long haul.

Did you get on top of your thrips yet brother? They are funny, some plants even of the same stain seem to get hit with them while others don't. Spinosad (s.i.c) which is organic works very well in my experience for thrips
I had to spray all of my indoor gear the other day for the little stinkers. At least they aren't mites. Not sure if you have had the pleasure of dealing with those yet. Not fun. will take thrips any day over mites.

Did you get on top of your thrips yet brother? They are funny, some plants even of the same stain seem to get hit with them while others don't. Spinosad (s.i.c) which is organic works very well in my experience for thrips
I had to spray all of my indoor gear the other day for the little stinkers. At least they aren't mites. Not sure if you have had the pleasure of dealing with those yet. Not fun. will take thrips any day over mites.
Hoping I've got em under control...got some spinosad product coming in case I don't lol. Yea thought that was interesting how they went for certain plants. I was so complacent cause I haven't had any pests to speak of in the sunroom yet other than the occasional aphids. I looked at the scarring from the thrips without knowing what for quite a while hehe. No mites yet they sound like a nightmare.

Back