That small baby may have some probs to grow... I had one like this, and i decided to cut it down, because she was creating new leaves, but the trunk never got bigger, so the leaves were really small... It was mainly a PH problem, i didn't have any phmeter at the time. She could not get enough nutrients from the soil. I figured out that some plants are just stronger than others, and adapting well. She was a waist of time.

5,2 is maybe a little too low, try 5.5 to 5.9, this is the best range for coco. If she is not improving, don't waist your time, cut it down. She's maybe just a WEAK ! :backside:

Peace

Yeah Baby is a bit small for 2 weeks old but that's ok for me since it's not being grown for smokables anyway but to keep the genetics alive (aka to make it a fem line).

I know 5.2 is too low for regular waterings but when doing my running flush I prefer that to bring the PH in the medium back down to about 6.

Jack looks amazing!!!! So does Baby! I am trying to remember what mine looked like at that age. Pretty sure it wasn't anything near as healthy looking as yours!!!!

Thank you! Hehe they may be small with my tiny light but they sure are healthy.

Today there won't be an update on the plants since I am giving them a 24hr dark period. They both had their obligatory liter of KISS D fertilizer. Yesterday I did premix the components of the fertilizer and put em in a blender. Turns out the weight to EC ratio is pretty nice. 1.5g/L gets me an EC of 1.36 (linear progression at 23°c up to lowest saturation point).

I just had a look at the price of Critical Jack auto seeds. Many they are expensive.. And I do happen to have both lines in my collection.. So that's another possibility for my next grow. Right now these are my options:
  • Durban poison
  • Critical
  • SoMango
  • Jack Herer
  • Baby (if the STS works)
The new air pruning pots arrived today and I have to say I am very happy with the quality and how they are shaped. Importing the Rootmaker pots would have been a bit expensive so it's good to see we do have a viable alternative after all. I'll get you a picture tomorrow.

The first post is always the most awkward.. so: "Heeeyy"
I found this board a few days ago and yesterday decided that I wanted to be here too. I've got experience with plants in general (I grow tiny trees and cross breed peppers for fun) but this is my first venture into this area.

At the beginning of the month I germinated and dropped a Jack Herer seed into my 20 Liter fabric pot which is conveniently located inside a 3x3x6ft / 1x1x1.8m tent illuminated by a Mars Hydro 400. Of course Jack wasn't to feel left alone in this big empty tent so I moved the best of my current Pepper generation in aswell. A fan, dehumidifier, heater or other I have not in the tent but the air is fully replaced every 30 seconds. I do pay heed for the temperatures to stay between 83f/28c and 70f/21c at a relative Humidity of 50% at 79f/26c.

Jack's living arrangements may be sounding a little unorthodox to most of you when I tell you he lives in pure coco I have sifted out the bigger particulates (those I use to plant the peppers in). Additionally I don't wait for the substrate to dry out at least a little bit. Every 3 days I water with (currently) half a galon(2 Liters) of full stength run of the mill garden center nutrients. I know this all sounds highly unusual and destined for Failure.

I suppose if ever, now is the time to compound that with the lighting. From seed until day 18 my light was about a foot (30cm) away from the plant and on full spectrum. On day 16 I topped it and switched to a blue spectrum while moving the light 2 foot away(60cm). Day 16 only because that's when my beloved Jack started to grow into his first 7set of leaves. During early development (into the 5set) I pony tailed a little to give the lower shoots move light(unfortunately that kinda bent a few leaves out of shape).

The Images are taken under the blue/red light of the LED and color corrected a bit in photoshop. Here is Jack at day 18:

Jack and his Friends
View attachment 647723

JackaBoy
View attachment 647724

Up close and personal
View attachment 647725

The Fertilizers I use are just 2 kinds you can find at any garden center for 5 bucks, here are their Profiles:
Green:
  • [N] 10%
    • 2.5% Ammonium
    • 2.5% Nitrate
    • 5% Carbamid
  • [P2O5] 4%
  • [K20] 6%
  • [ B ] 0,01%
  • [Ch] 0,002%
  • [Fe] 0,02%
  • [Mn] 0.01%
  • [Mo] 0.001%
  • [Zn] 0,002%
Brown:
  • [N] 4%
    • 4% Bird Guano by vol. w/EDTA
    • 2.8% Ammonium
    • 1.2% Nitrate
  • [P2O5] 5%
  • [K2O] 6%
  • [ B ] 0.01%
  • [Fe] 0.02%
  • [Mn] 0.01%
  • [Mo] 0.001%
  • [ S ] 2%
In seedling stage (first week) I watered twice, 2 liters each time, with 1ml/L of green. During Veg I water every 3 days 2L alternating between 2ml/L of Green and 5ml/L of Brown. The PH I'm eyeballing around 5.5-6.2.

I'd love to know what you think.
-Druid
Hi Druid, Good morning!
You grow your girls with pepper, cool!
Have a nice weekend!

Hi Druid, Good morning!
You grow your girls with pepper, cool!
Have a nice weekend!

And a ficus :p Why not have some variety in the tent :)

As promised here are the pot shots; Those will be the ones used for the next round:
Day43_HDR1.jpg

Day43_HDR2.jpg

Jack Day 43: Bushy as ever Jack is doing it's thing. I sure hope that after the 24hrs of darkness it does go into flower.
Day43_HDR4.jpg

Baby Day 16: I know why it's called Baby now.. It is a bit small but hey.. this one's not for the harvest but for the STS test.
Day43_HDR3.jpg

Both got their liter of Kiss D today. The new Fertilizer seems to be doing it's job well. The fact that I can just water all over Jack without having to wash it off has certainly seemed to have given it a kick in the pants. Or it's just doing the same thing it's doing every night Baby; Trying to take over the tent. *starts humming pinky & brain theme song*

Here's a tip for dummies.. after you mix your fertilizer don't let it sit in the beaker on the open air.. it's going to oxidize. :wall:
Luckily it was just 160g (enough for one plant lifecycle)

Yeah Baby is a bit small for 2 weeks old but that's ok for me since it's not being grown for smokables anyway but to keep the genetics alive (aka to make it a fem line).

I know 5.2 is too low for regular waterings but when doing my running flush I prefer that to bring the PH in the medium back down to about 6.

You should try another round ! You still got time to grow a stronger one... The genetic might be unsual on this one, you don't really know what is wrong.

You should try another round ! You still got time to grow a stronger one... The genetic might be unsual on this one, you don't really know what is wrong.

That's the last seed of these genetics so I don't really have a choice. Or I just let it die.
But I might just run some Critical photos in parallel.

After observing the growth delta from the dark period I do have a hypothesis why Jack and Baby are growing so squat. The 20/4 light shedule. Right now it's too early to see if the light distance made a big difference in node spacing but in a few days I'll know.
Should that be true I'll switch to 18/6 and observe the difference.

I have been silent so I must be up to something; And indeed I was and still am.

Baby and Jack have been fed each day with a liter of KisS D. I also switched the light from 20/4 to 18/6.

Here you see them like I do every day in their natural light:

Day45_HDR2.jpg

Baby Day 18: Still small but trucking along and doing it's thing.

Jack Day 45: I'm removed a couple of leaves today. Not many, just a few. Over the next days I'll repeat that to get more light to the secondary branches. No signs of flowering yet.. starting to get worried.

Day45_HDR1.jpg

SoMangos Day -1: What you see here is my new test I started rather impulsively at the same time as the other two are still in the tent.

The Substrate is 70% baked Perlite with a particle size of 2 to 6mm(washed of course) and 30% coco fibers by volume. The pots are 11Liters in volume.
Before seeding the pots I did run 10 liters of full strength KisS D at a ph of ~6 through each.

The seeds are Somango from Seedsman.

Day45_HDR3.jpg

I reaaaaaly hope Jack starts flowering soon or things in here will get a bit tight. I changed my plants to accommodate for that though baby is not going to be mainlined. The Somango plants will be mainlined to slow them down a bit.

Somango Day 1: Here you see them side by side. You will notice that the right one is quite a bit smaller. Well that's my fault; Unfortunately I broke off the root tip during the planting process. Which means that one has to branch now and do some catching up. These have not been watered yet. The planting and initial soaking of the substrate was 2 days ago and it's not necessary yet.
Day47_HDR1.jpg

Jack Day 47: Today (after the photos were taken) I removed some suckers below. I can't be sure yet but Jack might be going into flower now so I have to clean things up a bit. I did also reposition it in the tent shuffling pots around so I could continue removing small pieces over a larger time frame. We remember what happened last time I defoliated a lot in a single day.
Day47_HDR3.jpg

Baby Day 20: It's starting to look like some kind of plant now. Mind you a baby version of one. I'd be curious if some of the micro growers would be interested in a teeny tiny strain?
Day47_HDR2.jpg

Nice looking Jack, real lush! Sent you some reps. I think 20 liters is a lot of room and baby has been busy rooting.... Some plants just grow different:d5:

I would be willing to say some would like smaller strains. some Delicious strains stay compact. About 18 inches tall for me, but it could be my grow skills.

Back