That jack is getting a hands on grow! so you are going to pollinate it? what are you going to use to cross it with ?

Hi @Druid !! I'll be rooting for your mainline plant,all techniques of training are fun and keep things interesting,for me its mostly about breaking the boredom,but the techniques do help me create a better finished product due to more efficient use of the 600 HID i use. The info you have about a KISS method are veerrryyy interesting,and i agree that with most nutes,a person is just paying for the name and a fancy bottle,the plant dont care as long as it gets what it needs...Awesome work you are doing!!

That jack is getting a hands on grow! so you are going to pollinate it? what are you going to use to cross it with ?

Nah that jack isn't going to be reproduced. The thing with this Jack is that it's a bit of a mutant and i don't know if I want that to live on.. besides I have more seeds from the same batch.
But Baby is going to live on by method of self pollination

Hi @Druid !! I'll be rooting for your mainline plant,all techniques of training are fun and keep things interesting,for me its mostly about breaking the boredom,but the techniques do help me create a better finished product due to more efficient use of the 600 HID i use. The info you have about a KISS method are veerrryyy interesting,and i agree that with most nutes,a person is just paying for the name and a fancy bottle,the plant dont care as long as it gets what it needs...Awesome work you are doing!!

Let's hope baby is gonna root too :rofl:
Before I do the KISS thing and wrap that into an article I should probably finish the article on "Substrate, Watering & Feeding" (the stuff I touched on in the substrate post I made in this thread earlier) since that is required (or you could kill your plants real quick using my feeding schedule)

It would appear that I thoroughly fucked myself by having the first nodes THAT close together and so close to the ground. With the LST in place I can't get in there with the watering can anymore. For veg that's not a problem.. but as soon as Jack starts budding this might become one. Moral of the story.. keep your lights far away in the first weeks.

Day30_HDR1.jpg

Baby Day 3: Watered another Liter of the half strength solution; A day or two and I'm gonna goto full strength.
Day30_HDR2.jpg

Jack Day 30: Watered 1.2L of full strength over the plant. I did spray it with plain water afterwards because Jack didn't like nutrient solution on the leaves in it's early life. Baby doesn't care about that it seems.
Day30_HDR3.jpg

Ordered all the stuff for STS today, including some glasswares that should keep the silver from precipitating out of solution. I'm gonna look around some more for a better base to the KISS fertilizer I'll be covering in the article but Kristalon, Jacks and HaKaPhos seem like the best options so far.

Day31_HDR1.jpg

Baby Day 4: She's stretching nicely. After what happened to the sativa heavy Jack I'm going to make sure the indica dominant Baby is going to grow some more before I stunt her height growth. Today she received 1L of 70% strength solution.
Day31_HDR2.jpg

Jack Day 31: Jackaboy seems to approve of the "water over everything" method. Gave another 1.2L of full strength solution today. There are no signs of sex as of yet.
Day31_HDR3.jpg

Jack is looking extremely happy!

Jack is looking extremely happy!
Oh yeah he is.. but he could be happier. Next to the STS I'm also gonna run some fertilizer experiments.

I've gone through a load of grow reports, and stuff and I have a hypothesis what the best ratio for a one-line fertilizer would be.

N 12,000%
P2o5 10,000%
K2o 24,000%
Ca 8,000%
Mg 10,000%
S 4,000%
B 0,037%
Cu 0,015%
Fe 0,180%
Mn 0,040%
Mo 0,007%
Zn 0,025%

So after this grow I'll get myself some smaller pots (2 or 3 gal), fill em with my dogfood substrate and test different fert setups. If I use 2 galon pots I could get enough plants in there to compare 2 fert lines "properly". Since I'll hopefully have some seeds off Baby to spare it should give me less variation then A/Bing

For anybody living in Europe I found an even cheaper Fertilizer combo. This one is going to cost you 0.37€ per plant lifetime (at 100 Liters per plant lifetime)
This one only works if you can get KalMagnesia on the cheap (that's a mix of Kalium, Magnesium and Sulphur).

I also adjusted the other recepies' ratios so they all come out the same.

Untitled-2.jpg

Oh yeah he is.. but he could be happier. Next to the STS I'm also gonna run some fertilizer experiments.

I've gone through a load of grow reports, and stuff and I have a hypothesis what the best ratio for a one-line fertilizer would be.

N 12,000%
P2o5 10,000%
K2o 24,000%
Ca 8,000%
Mg 10,000%
S 4,000%
B 0,037%
Cu 0,015%
Fe 0,180%
Mn 0,040%
Mo 0,007%
Zn 0,025%

So after this grow I'll get myself some smaller pots (2 or 3 gal), fill em with my dogfood substrate and test different fert setups. If I use 2 galon pots I could get enough plants in there to compare 2 fert lines "properly". Since I'll hopefully have some seeds off Baby to spare it should give me less variation then A/Bing

the fertilizer comparison will be interesting . so many different ones with similar ingredients inside. and different prices

the fertilizer comparison will be interesting . so many different ones with similar ingredients inside. and different prices
Yeah but it'll take some time. I can only compare 2 fertilizers at once and can only do it every second grow until I got enough seeds for all planned experiments.

The first fertilizer comparison will be my current line (comparable to the Hesi coco line on N steroids) to the Kristalon Green + Kalmagnesia one. Only got some 1kg bags of each but that should be enough for 50odd plants in the 8Liter containers. Depending on how the Mainline test of Baby goes they might also all be mainlined to get an easier to reduce any structural differences.

Day32_HDR1.jpg

Baby Day 5: Today I switched Baby to grown up rations. 1L of (33ml of Green & 1g of Mag Sulphate per 5L). I also moved the light to a distance of 110cm; The stretch I'm observing is better than on Jack but not enough yet so for at least a week it's going to stay that far away.
Day32_HDR2.jpg

Jack Day 32: I gave another Liter of the aforementioned Mix, applied all over, and then sprayed the foliage with some tap water. Apparently I didn't do a good enough job with the spraying yesterday and 2 tips on one of the leaves got burned. Jack does not like the full strength solution applied to it's leaves.
I have waited and not done anything more to the LST to let it settle a bit. In a day or two I should be able to pull down the trunk a little more and tie down the 2 leads of where I topped a few weeks ago. A day after that I'll have to evaluate the current fan leaves and see of anything of import is obstructed.
The raising of the light (or the fact that timeline wise we're close to start of flower) also had a nice stretching effect. I'm hoping it'll be strong enough to where I can defoliate close to the substrate so I can water properly again.
Day32_HDR3.jpg

Back