Extra Etra, hear ye!

Baby has been felled. This day before noon the plant known by many simply as "Baby" was brutally cut down by a madman. Using Scissors none the less. Eye witnesses mean to have heard him mumbling about seeds and ripeness. Let's now go to our correspondent on the Scene, Jackie:

Thank you Bob, it's a horrible scene to behold here. Looking at what is left of Baby we can only assume he cut everything of bit by bit and just left the skeleton.
View attachment 690784
Baby looks healthy, hope she grow bigger

Congrats Druid, How about the wet weight?
Oh the weight is not important since this one(Baby) is full of seeds. That's the only reason I grew baby; To make more of it. I can however count the number of seeds once it's a little more dry. :thumbsup:

The only thing still growing in height is the ficus :p Jack is in the final stages of ripening and the Somangos are currently starting to grow out their buds.

Thats a lot of seeds! Did you weigh them all individually? :shrug:

Oh the weight is not important since this one(Baby) is full of seeds. That's the only reason I grew baby; To make more of it. I can however count the number of seeds once it's a little more dry. :thumbsup:

The only thing still growing in height is the ficus :p Jack is in the final stages of ripening and the Somangos are currently starting to grow out their buds.
Oh, you gonna breed your own seeds, that's awesome!

nice growing
:pighug:
thx

Thats a lot of seeds! Did you weigh them all individually? :shrug:
Oh I know.. now when I want to grow some baby (smashing buzz btw) I don't have to pop 2 seeds and hope for the best. Now I can just drop 50 in a seed tray and pick the best.
Nope I didn't weigh them each, I did it in batches of 10(my scale only does 3 decimal places). The surprising thing.. they always weighed the same

Oh, you gonna breed your own seeds, that's awesome!
It is indeed. Gives me much more freedom for experiments.

Baby Post mortem:
In 85 days Baby grew from seed to harvest. During that time it was fed with Kiss D (look in the Threadmarks below for more information) in regular intervals. In the beginning she was a runt and did not want to grow and grow like the others but once the stretching started it quickly started to look like one of the big ones.

STS: Initially only 4 branches were left on the plant; 2 lower ones to be misted with STS (Silverthiosulphate) and another two above those, that were meant to be fertilized. The STS worked a treat in turning the treated branches male by blocking the ethylene inside them. Something I noticed is that this Silver solution is waaay more mobile than Colloidal Silver. I only ever applied enough to create a consistent mist on the branches but did that every 3/4 days. Mind you the solution I used was of a lower concentration to save the foliage.. which worked out great. Over the course of the plant's lifetime I only lost 3 leaves that were not planned.
Conclusion: You can get the chemicals to treat a hundred plants for a tenner in any oldschool photo studio (oxidizer and fixer). Given the right concentration It doesn't kill your foliage and still works (provided you store it cool and without any light). With the crazy price of seeds I can only recommend it. I also recommend wearing gloves while using it :p

Lighting: At the beginning I went very easy on this plant with light so it stretched out more in order to make the watering easier. The watering was easier but the overall growth was hampered. I've done the same to Jack junior for comparison.
Conclusion:
More light

Fertilizer: For the first 12 days of it's life I was still using my old fertilizer at ~3ec. After that I switched to Kiss D and everything was fine.
Watering: The best results came from watering more often in smaller doses. The plant got a total of 55.7L of nutrient solution. Which comes out to ~0.65L/Day (I gave it 0.7L each day but did forget a few days).
Substrate: The crater in which I planted Baby was not necessary; Baby did not show any lenti-cells or air-roots above the soil level. The substrate itself (60% baked clay pellets 40% coarse coco) was working well enough. Never seen it dry out once and still grew vigorously.
Conclusion: Don't fry tiny plants with too much fertilizer, the law of minimums still applies.

Final thoughts: Baby was a double experiment to test the substrate and sts. The substrate I refined(70% perlite @ 4mm particulate size, 30% fine coco) for the Somangos (which you can see worked well). The STS also worked quite well in giving me over 600 seeds from two small branches.
The substrate I'm going to wash out of the rootball, the coco is going to be screened out and will go into the trash, the baked clay pellets go into the microwave for sterilization and will be used gain.
The buds themselves smell quite sweet (that's probably the blueberry in it) and give you a very indica leaning feeling. Fan leaves were only a "few" when compared to something like the bushy Jack. I can imagine this one doing well in micro grows or a sea of green type grow.

Here is the obligatory image:
Seeds-Baby-Boom.jpg

That's what 600+ seeds look like.
The glass vial is my long term storage, the plastic baggies for the rest. If you're wondering about the orange stuff: That's Silica Gel, a desiccant to keep them dry.

Stored in a cool (4°c) and dark (no uv radiation) place like this they can stay viable for a decade.

Back