I cant get a grasp on starting up an organic grow

@Proph i was wanting to build my soil from buildasoil kit.... Do you still think I should not???? Was gonna get their nutrient kit and mineral kit... I have 2 bags of Malibu compost, and was gonna buy peat and perlite maybe plus pumice and add a cuft of ewc.... Buildasoil sales a 2.2 cuft kit I have in my cart... Plus a recipe... You think im ready??? Was thinking of filling two 27 gallon Totes and putting 2 photos in each tote.... Too advanced??? Anything else I need?
I'd say go for it! Just follow the instructions and you should be fine!

I tasted some of my smoothie auto... First time I can say I had organics.... And I totally loved the product.... Now I'm torn... I'm out of soil... And I want to start my next photo cycle in some soil this time.... 5 plants so I at least want 40-50 gallons of soil.... I do not want no till for my photos... Either 5 pots or 2 beds.... I know I do not want to no till... I want to reuse my soil, but I can't no till with these... I still don't want to add nutes to a res, maybe dry amending and top dressing, or something like gaia green(Dr earth).... I do not know the name of this style... Im still confused with tlo... Los.... Rlo, super soil, and all the other names for organics.... Any links, or stickies i should be reading? Is it called recycled living organics?

I tasted some of my smoothie auto... First time I can say I had organics.... And I totally loved the product.... Now I'm torn... I'm out of soil... And I want to start my next photo cycle in some soil this time.... 5 plants so I at least want 40-50 gallons of soil.... I do not want no till for my photos... Either 5 pots or 2 beds.... I know I do not want to no till... I want to reuse my soil, but I can't no till with these... I still don't want to add nutes to a res, maybe dry amending and top dressing, or something like gaia green(Dr earth).... I do not know the name of this style... Im still confused with tlo... Los.... Rlo, super soil, and all the other names for organics.... Any links, or stickies i should be reading? Is it called recycled living organics?

From reading this thread, I really feel that you are needlessly complicating an indoor organic grow.

General organics is really very simple. You kinda need to stop thinking about exactly WHAT to feed to your plant. In organics you are basically feeding the micro flora and fauna and worms in the soil/media if you choose to include worms. They will supply the plant with what the plant NEEDS, not what you THINK it needs.

Yes, you do need to supply your garden helpers with the basic raw materials for them to use. A good solid basic organic soil/media is your best bet and then top dress to supplement flower and possibly in veg if a super heavy feeder if you have the girl in a smallish pot. In indoor organics, the bigger the pot, the easier to maintain organically for a full grow.

I think you have some terms a bit confused. Plain ol' Top dressing with materials is really no-till. You can reuse the media in a top dressed/no till pot. You can either just cut the main stalk and just replant there(continuing a true no-til method)l or pull out the root system. chop it up, place it in a tote, very basic re-amend and let it cook for a few weeks.

I prefer the later indoors. Outdoors, no-till is king! Depending on the time of year, I'd either direct transplant with another crop or seed with a cover crop for fallow ground or for winter. When time for a crop, the cover crop would get chopped with my tractor and brush hog or just laid over with a big roller attached to the tractor

Leave all the silly ass pre-packaged multi-ingredient veg and flower concoctions alone. It's all just just plain EXPENSIVE marketing ploys. Raw materials with the component needed for that stage of the life cycle of the plant is FAR cheaper and at least as effective, and most often, MORE effective. A good idea on what to use is just look at the ingredients these people put into the packaged "bloom" and "Veg" concoctions they come up with. There are common ingredients that most of them use. Build-a-soil would be a great place to look at the ingredients they use for various life cycles for canna.

My suggestion to you to "Get a grasp" on growing organics is to use KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid). It's a great mindset for lot's of doing new things. I use KISS quite often. Sometimes it's the only way to do things.

Get a good basic grow media. My first grow was with Roots Organics Original. It's very well amended and not too hot for direct seeding. Then use very basic amendments as top dressing and water in with very basic compost tea. As a beginner, lightly top dress amend and water in with compost tea, but do it reasonably frequently. Dressing it lightly and then watering in prevents any build up and having a "crusty" layer on top of the soil.

In prep for flower, when you see the signs of pre-flower, it's time to amend for it to be available for the "little helpers" to process the material for use by the plant, generally 10 days to two weeks for it to be FULLY available. With each grow, you'll gain knowledge on how and when to do this............remember....KISS.

My VERY basic amendment shopping list: Bold entries are MUST haves, but not in any particular order of importance.

1. Quality Earthworm castings.............. for top dressing and use in teas

2, Molasses ..........For teas and general feed when watering. I've used Medina Horticulture Molasses for over 30yrs. It's unsulphured, easily available and around $10 for a gallon.

3. Compost.........In my KISS, it's only needed as a base for teas. Yeah, you can top dress with it, but it can complicate a grow in a pot.....outdoors is totally different.

4.Thorvin Kelp.......Good top dressing and compost tea ingredient

5. Alfalfa meal............Toss up if it's a must have. I think it is.

This will easily grow canna and quite good quality. It's VERY basic! And there's quite a bit more home methods available to use.

I'm just making an observation and suggestions that should help. Organics are really simple. It does get a bit complicated when trying to use more specialized methods of fertilization. There's just far more simple methods in growing that are proven and actually far less expensive.

Finally removed smoothie and bubblegum from tent today.... Maybe chop tonight or tomorrow.... 94 days today... Born Sept 11 (post#24) still not as Amber as I like, but.... Okay now for some pics

Smoothie

20201214_112943.jpg20201214_112731.jpg20201214_112808.jpg20201214_112831.jpg20201214_112818.jpg20201214_104458.jpg20201214_112655.jpg20201214_112721.jpg20201214_112928_HDR.jpg20201214_112904.jpg

Bubblegum

Attachments

• 20201214_112225.jpg
    20201214_112225.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 20201214_111952.jpg
    20201214_111952.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20201214_112058.jpg
    20201214_112058.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 20201214_112423.jpg
    20201214_112423.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20201214_112014_HDR.jpg
    20201214_112014_HDR.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 20201214_112505.jpg
    20201214_112505.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 20201214_112434.jpg
    20201214_112434.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 20201214_112136.jpg
    20201214_112136.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20201214_112521.jpg
    20201214_112521.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 25
  • 20201214_112159.jpg
    20201214_112159.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 21
How should I prep this used soil for another run? I feel like I want more aeration.... Was thinking of adding maybe 3-5 gallons of perlite to both pots (1.5-2.5 per) mixing all together in a big tote... If I dont add perlite, I have another bagged soil i would like to add to it... It's old soil.... Bout 2years old.... But its all been in a spare room of the house since purchased.... Idk if its safe to add diff soils, but the ingredients look to be the same of whats in living soil....
20201214_114010.jpg
20201214_113952.jpg

@Proph @WildBill anyone... after i used this soil, i dumped the soil from all 3 pots into a big tote, and added alfalfa, kelp, karanja, calphos, camelina meal, fish meal, fish bone meal, soybean meal, langbeinite, malted barley, and minerals(craftblend) at rec dose... stirred the used soil everyday for the past 15 or so days, also bought a boogie brew plus filter for chloramines, and watered it like every other day.... should i do anything else before putting in 17 gallon pot and starting some autos?? just wondering do i have to add more microbes or will they build themselves??? i also bought 10lbs of row 2 malted barley yesterday... i had it milled should i add this to the soil??? i bought it for my own soil mix that i am about to build...

@Proph @WildBill anyone... after i used this soil, i dumped the soil from all 3 pots into a big tote, and added alfalfa, kelp, karanja, calphos, camelina meal, fish meal, fish bone meal, soybean meal, langbeinite, malted barley, and minerals(craftblend) at rec dose... stirred the used soil everyday for the past 15 or so days, also bought a boogie brew plus filter for chloramines, and watered it like every other day.... should i do anything else before putting in 17 gallon pot and starting some autos?? just wondering do i have to add more microbes or will they build themselves??? i also bought 10lbs of row 2 malted barley yesterday... i had it milled should i add this to the soil??? i bought it for my own soil mix that i am about to build...
Did the media heat up?
I would leave the malted barley for specific times when brewed with compost tea or by itself at transplant time.

Back