Hecno's on going organics

7 Day ago.
dsc_0041-jpg.887696

Now
View attachment 891424 View attachment 891425
View attachment 891427 View attachment 891426
I sure like that Blackberry Gum . :thumbsup:
Hecno, your girls are absolutely amazing! Obvious they want for nothing more in the soil department.

Here is a subject I have been studying Very interesting . :thumbsup:
The BioChemical Sequence – Hugh Lovell
by Ian Moss | Aug 31, 2015 | Plant Physiology | 0 comments

source: Hugh Lovell blog notes

In February of 1994 at the Austin, Texas Eco Fair I lunched with Neal Kinsey, one of America’s top soil consultants. Neal was lecturing about the key importance of calcium in the early stages of fruit development where cell division occurs, and his metaphor was an apple not much bigger than a prune had virtually all the calcium it would get by harvest. He tested soils for calcium and applied it as needed, but unfortunately this did not guarantee that sufficient calcium got into the apple.

When I asked him what he did in regard to boron, which was responsible for sap pressure, he responded, “Of course, boron is necessary for calcium uptake, and we test for boron. If it is needed we put it there, but we still can’t guarantee that calcium gets in the apple.”

Humm. So I asked what he did about silicon. My biodynamic experience showed silicon was the basis of transport in both plants and animals. Neal’s response was classic, “We don’t test for silicon. It’s in all soils, whether sand or clay.”

Until then it hadn’t sunk home with me that I was used to looking for the visual signs of silicon in plants and I hadn’t actually seen any soil or leaf tests that included it. This got me wondering, and as I investigated I found, almost uniformly, soil and leaf testing labs did not test for silicon unless it was specifically requested.

As a biodynamic grower, I was annoyed. Biodynamic fore-runner, Rudolf Steiner, with his doctorate in math, chemistry and biology, identified the oxides of calcium and silicon (lime and silica) as the opposite poles of life chemistry. I’d used this concept for years and years, along with Jochen Bockemühl’s leaf studies from his book, In Partnership with Nature and Johann W. von Goethe’s treatise, The Metamorphosis of Plants as guides. Neal’s comment that he didn’t test for silicon caught me by surprise. But on the other hand, my university curriculum was biochemistry rather than agricultural chemistry, so I hadn’t realized how 19th Century agricultural chemistry was. Looking further, I found that in the early days of agricultural chemistry Justus von Liebig tested both soils and plants for silicon, found it in all cases, was unable to prove it was an essential nutrient by excluding it from plant media, and thereafter dropped it from his tests. This became the norm for agricultural testing.

Neal Kinsey, with his riddle of getting calcium into early fruit development, got me thinking. Gradually I realized there was an obvious hierarchy of how elements worked in living organisms. One thing had to occur before the next thing could happen, and on down the line in a sequence. In 2004 I put together a PowerPoint slide show for Graeme Sait’s agronomy team at Nutri-Tech in Yandina, QLD, and in it I summarized this hierarchy of elements, calling it the Biochemical Sequence.

I told the Nutri-Tech agronomists that boron kicks off this sequence by activating silicon, making it an amorphous fluid and providing sap pressure. I knew that boron was used in making glass, which is amorphous fluid silica; and I’d found this relationship also held true for plant chemistry.

Of course, sap pressure would be no use without a transport system to contain it, and silicon provides the actual transport of nutrients. Interestingly, applying too much boron too early in a crop cycle is notable for burning seedlings and young transplants-such as sprouting squash, beans or tomatoes-because too much sap pressure in such a tiny plant drives sodium out the leaf margins. Nevertheless, in plants where leaf veins are highly branched, like flowering beans, squash and tomatoes, boron is important in later growth to maintain strong enough sap pressure to make such a complex system work.

On the other hand, highly siliceous plants, such as grasses, need less boron to give them sap pressure since their transport vessels all run parallel without branching. That’s like irrigation lines that only feed one sprinkler head-it doesn’t take much pressure. An exception is bananas, which have a huge transport system with lots of fluid flow. They need plenty of boron to send calcium and amino acids all the way to the top of the bell stalk for cell division to occur in the bunch.

Obviously without robust transport, nowhere near as much nutrient reaches the leaves or is stored in the fruits. Chemical agriculture gets around this to some extent, since-even with a weak transport system-anything that is highly soluble, such as potassium nitrate, is simply taken up along with water. Though this dilutes the sap, it flows quite easily due to low sap density. This is why chemically grown foods commonly have coarse, watery cell structure, as well as lower nutrition and poorer keeping quality. However, without a robust transport system, heavier nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, complex carbohydrates and amino acids can easily be left behind.

Third in the biochemical sequence is calcium. This is the last thing you want to leave behind because of its role in nitrogen fixation and amino acid chemistry. Calcium balances charge in proteins and is particularly important in cell division, which is the first thing that happens in fruit or seed formation after pollination. Without it there would be no fruit or seed.

For example, in maize calcium leaf test targets are between 0.3 and 1.0 %, increasing as the maize approaches tasselling with the higher target range more desirable during kernel formation. If calcium does not reach the ear in sufficient quantities, the kernels near the end of the ear simply do not fill out. With a crop like soybeans, double or even triple the calcium values of maize are needed for full pod set without shedding pods-a common problem in soybeans. Wouldn’t you like to see every kernel on your maize fill out to the end of the ear and every soybean blossom produce a pod of beans? This only happens when boron, silicon and calcium work together optimally.

As just mentioned, wherever calcium goes, there also goes nitrogen, which is the basis of amino acid formation, protein chemistry and DNA replication. Once nitrogen enters the picture all sorts of proteins, enzymes and hormones are produced, and very complex things are set in motion involving trace elements such as iron, zinc, copper, manganese, cobalt, molybdenum and so on.

Above all there must be energy harvest or plants would never grow. Though all parts of a plant’s protein chemistry require amino acid nitrogen, large amounts of amino acids go into the formation of chlorophyll where energy is gathered. Since photosynthesis requires magnesium, it is fifth in the biochemical sequence, ahead of all the more minor trace elements. Of course, photosynthesis is not simply a matter of chlorophyll catching energy. The energy has to be transferred into producing sugars out of carbon dioxide and water, which requires phosphorous for energy transfer. Otherwise the chlorophyll burns up, and the leaves turn a wine red colour.

However, as long as there is enough phosphorous, carbon is pried loose from carbon dioxide so it can combine with water to make sugar and release oxygen. Then the sugars pass into the plant’s sap where potassium, the electrolyte, conducts them to wherever they most need to go.

Understandably, this sequence is oversimplified. For example, sulphur is the classic catalyst in carbon (organic) chemistry. Without it, nothing-not even the boron-would work. Also, potassium has a very close relationship with silicon, so when silicon carries calcium and amino acids to the cell division sites in the plant, potassium plays the role of an electronic doorway that lets the calcium and amino acids enter the cells that are preparing to divide. If cold weather slows potassium down, or if it is in short supply, then calcium and amino acids cannot reach the cell nuclei, the DNA cannot divide, cell division fails and the fruit falls off the plant. Sometimes entire fruit crops are lost to a couple degrees of frost when a light spray of kelp with potassium silicate would save the day.

However, the most important thing to understand is the role of boron, silicon and calcium in the hierarchy of plant chemistry. Growers who simply feed plants nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium (NPK) tend to short circuit the biological processes where strong sap pressure (boron) leads to good nutrient transport (silicon), following which optimal cell division and photosynthesis occur (calcium, nitrogen, magnesium and phosphorous). Then with high plant energy (carbon, potassium) plants are able to shed enough of their sap as root exudates to feed abundant microbial mineral release, nitrogen fixation and protozoal digestion around crop roots so crops enjoy rich nutrition and are truly healthy. This only works where boron, silicon, calcium and amino acid nitrogen (from steady microbial fixation and digestion) are all high. If calcium and amino acids are watered down with nitrate and potassium salts, sap pressure is impaired, cell division is hampered, photosynthesis is weakened, magnesium and phosphorous are diluted, and we’re where NPK growers are today.

Comprehensive testing (the subject of another article) reveals that without taking the biochemical sequence into account it is common for plants-even in organic situations where soluble nitrogen and potassium are high-to luxury feed on nitrogen and potassium to the exclusion of calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and trace elements, particularly zinc and molybdenum. In sum, if we fail to solve Neal Kinsey’s riddle, we can be caught in this situation and suffer from the conventional NPK growers’ problems of pests, diseases, poor flavour and poor keeping quality.

Hj7KC.jpg

Attachments

• Chapte2.jpg
    Chapte2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 69
Here is a subject I have been studying Very interesting . :thumbsup:
The BioChemical Sequence – Hugh Lovell
by Ian Moss | Aug 31, 2015 | Plant Physiology | 0 comments

source: Hugh Lovell blog notes

In February of 1994 at the Austin, Texas Eco Fair I lunched with Neal Kinsey, one of America’s top soil consultants. Neal was lecturing about the key importance of calcium in the early stages of fruit development where cell division occurs, and his metaphor was an apple not much bigger than a prune had virtually all the calcium it would get by harvest. He tested soils for calcium and applied it as needed, but unfortunately this did not guarantee that sufficient calcium got into the apple.

When I asked him what he did in regard to boron, which was responsible for sap pressure, he responded, “Of course, boron is necessary for calcium uptake, and we test for boron. If it is needed we put it there, but we still can’t guarantee that calcium gets in the apple.”

Humm. So I asked what he did about silicon. My biodynamic experience showed silicon was the basis of transport in both plants and animals. Neal’s response was classic, “We don’t test for silicon. It’s in all soils, whether sand or clay.”

Until then it hadn’t sunk home with me that I was used to looking for the visual signs of silicon in plants and I hadn’t actually seen any soil or leaf tests that included it. This got me wondering, and as I investigated I found, almost uniformly, soil and leaf testing labs did not test for silicon unless it was specifically requested.

As a biodynamic grower, I was annoyed. Biodynamic fore-runner, Rudolf Steiner, with his doctorate in math, chemistry and biology, identified the oxides of calcium and silicon (lime and silica) as the opposite poles of life chemistry. I’d used this concept for years and years, along with Jochen Bockemühl’s leaf studies from his book, In Partnership with Nature and Johann W. von Goethe’s treatise, The Metamorphosis of Plants as guides. Neal’s comment that he didn’t test for silicon caught me by surprise. But on the other hand, my university curriculum was biochemistry rather than agricultural chemistry, so I hadn’t realized how 19th Century agricultural chemistry was. Looking further, I found that in the early days of agricultural chemistry Justus von Liebig tested both soils and plants for silicon, found it in all cases, was unable to prove it was an essential nutrient by excluding it from plant media, and thereafter dropped it from his tests. This became the norm for agricultural testing.

Neal Kinsey, with his riddle of getting calcium into early fruit development, got me thinking. Gradually I realized there was an obvious hierarchy of how elements worked in living organisms. One thing had to occur before the next thing could happen, and on down the line in a sequence. In 2004 I put together a PowerPoint slide show for Graeme Sait’s agronomy team at Nutri-Tech in Yandina, QLD, and in it I summarized this hierarchy of elements, calling it the Biochemical Sequence.

I told the Nutri-Tech agronomists that boron kicks off this sequence by activating silicon, making it an amorphous fluid and providing sap pressure. I knew that boron was used in making glass, which is amorphous fluid silica; and I’d found this relationship also held true for plant chemistry.

Of course, sap pressure would be no use without a transport system to contain it, and silicon provides the actual transport of nutrients. Interestingly, applying too much boron too early in a crop cycle is notable for burning seedlings and young transplants-such as sprouting squash, beans or tomatoes-because too much sap pressure in such a tiny plant drives sodium out the leaf margins. Nevertheless, in plants where leaf veins are highly branched, like flowering beans, squash and tomatoes, boron is important in later growth to maintain strong enough sap pressure to make such a complex system work.

On the other hand, highly siliceous plants, such as grasses, need less boron to give them sap pressure since their transport vessels all run parallel without branching. That’s like irrigation lines that only feed one sprinkler head-it doesn’t take much pressure. An exception is bananas, which have a huge transport system with lots of fluid flow. They need plenty of boron to send calcium and amino acids all the way to the top of the bell stalk for cell division to occur in the bunch.

Obviously without robust transport, nowhere near as much nutrient reaches the leaves or is stored in the fruits. Chemical agriculture gets around this to some extent, since-even with a weak transport system-anything that is highly soluble, such as potassium nitrate, is simply taken up along with water. Though this dilutes the sap, it flows quite easily due to low sap density. This is why chemically grown foods commonly have coarse, watery cell structure, as well as lower nutrition and poorer keeping quality. However, without a robust transport system, heavier nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, complex carbohydrates and amino acids can easily be left behind.

Third in the biochemical sequence is calcium. This is the last thing you want to leave behind because of its role in nitrogen fixation and amino acid chemistry. Calcium balances charge in proteins and is particularly important in cell division, which is the first thing that happens in fruit or seed formation after pollination. Without it there would be no fruit or seed.

For example, in maize calcium leaf test targets are between 0.3 and 1.0 %, increasing as the maize approaches tasselling with the higher target range more desirable during kernel formation. If calcium does not reach the ear in sufficient quantities, the kernels near the end of the ear simply do not fill out. With a crop like soybeans, double or even triple the calcium values of maize are needed for full pod set without shedding pods-a common problem in soybeans. Wouldn’t you like to see every kernel on your maize fill out to the end of the ear and every soybean blossom produce a pod of beans? This only happens when boron, silicon and calcium work together optimally.

As just mentioned, wherever calcium goes, there also goes nitrogen, which is the basis of amino acid formation, protein chemistry and DNA replication. Once nitrogen enters the picture all sorts of proteins, enzymes and hormones are produced, and very complex things are set in motion involving trace elements such as iron, zinc, copper, manganese, cobalt, molybdenum and so on.

Above all there must be energy harvest or plants would never grow. Though all parts of a plant’s protein chemistry require amino acid nitrogen, large amounts of amino acids go into the formation of chlorophyll where energy is gathered. Since photosynthesis requires magnesium, it is fifth in the biochemical sequence, ahead of all the more minor trace elements. Of course, photosynthesis is not simply a matter of chlorophyll catching energy. The energy has to be transferred into producing sugars out of carbon dioxide and water, which requires phosphorous for energy transfer. Otherwise the chlorophyll burns up, and the leaves turn a wine red colour.

However, as long as there is enough phosphorous, carbon is pried loose from carbon dioxide so it can combine with water to make sugar and release oxygen. Then the sugars pass into the plant’s sap where potassium, the electrolyte, conducts them to wherever they most need to go.

Understandably, this sequence is oversimplified. For example, sulphur is the classic catalyst in carbon (organic) chemistry. Without it, nothing-not even the boron-would work. Also, potassium has a very close relationship with silicon, so when silicon carries calcium and amino acids to the cell division sites in the plant, potassium plays the role of an electronic doorway that lets the calcium and amino acids enter the cells that are preparing to divide. If cold weather slows potassium down, or if it is in short supply, then calcium and amino acids cannot reach the cell nuclei, the DNA cannot divide, cell division fails and the fruit falls off the plant. Sometimes entire fruit crops are lost to a couple degrees of frost when a light spray of kelp with potassium silicate would save the day.

However, the most important thing to understand is the role of boron, silicon and calcium in the hierarchy of plant chemistry. Growers who simply feed plants nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium (NPK) tend to short circuit the biological processes where strong sap pressure (boron) leads to good nutrient transport (silicon), following which optimal cell division and photosynthesis occur (calcium, nitrogen, magnesium and phosphorous). Then with high plant energy (carbon, potassium) plants are able to shed enough of their sap as root exudates to feed abundant microbial mineral release, nitrogen fixation and protozoal digestion around crop roots so crops enjoy rich nutrition and are truly healthy. This only works where boron, silicon, calcium and amino acid nitrogen (from steady microbial fixation and digestion) are all high. If calcium and amino acids are watered down with nitrate and potassium salts, sap pressure is impaired, cell division is hampered, photosynthesis is weakened, magnesium and phosphorous are diluted, and we’re where NPK growers are today.

Comprehensive testing (the subject of another article) reveals that without taking the biochemical sequence into account it is common for plants-even in organic situations where soluble nitrogen and potassium are high-to luxury feed on nitrogen and potassium to the exclusion of calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and trace elements, particularly zinc and molybdenum. In sum, if we fail to solve Neal Kinsey’s riddle, we can be caught in this situation and suffer from the conventional NPK growers’ problems of pests, diseases, poor flavour and poor keeping quality.

View attachment 893668
Thanks for sharing hecno! That's very good stuff. @johnp540 needs to read this

Well , 2 problems turned up , lucky easy fix . First one ca/ /mag , I did know going into this grow that it could be a problem and I fed cal/mag every watering , just not enough . 1 ml ltr , so I bumped it up to 1.5 ml a ltr and that worked fine . 2rd Light burn , The tips of the Mexican Airlines , the other 2 are fine . Maybe the fine leafs don't like the light so close , I dropped them to 18 in and they are now back at 22 in , :thumbsup:
DSC_0025.JPG
DSC_0024.JPG
DSC_0023.JPG
DSC_0022.JPG

:passit: G'Day Hecno my friend, and a happy blissful 4/20 to you! :jointman: :zen: :baby:... alls' well enough I trust? :pighug:

......Going back a bit here,.... Ah, right Den. biggibum, the Cooktown species,...some of these are so close it's hard to tell them apart!
.... the nanners look delish' mate, the sweet ones are good so many ways,... do you like peanut butter? A sammy with this and nanners is a treat! Of course for dessert, sundae's, etc. :drool:-- pass the chocolate sauce! Are these better tasting than the commercial types? Often as not, they are,... the nursery used to have this amazing little type of strawberry (alpine?); small, pure white, and the flavor was just to die for, a unique twist on the usual flavor,... but low yielding, and fragile! Hard language would bruise them,...

..... soil looks delish' too Hec, .... about 5 parts soil, 1 part worms- :greenthumb:talk about rich and fizzing with life! I'm sure they will thrive bro' :smoker1:....

With the tomatoes , I have been practicing on root tip pruning . It goes like this -- Start in room - seedling in small pot -- transfer to bigger pot with holes for air pruning - then to bigger pot again - when ready to go into garden I trim lower leafs off and bury stem deep . . I helps with a big root mass . I make my own air pots and they work well , What I do is grab a beer or 2 - smoke a joint , heat up the soldering iron sit in the shade and poke a heap of bloody holes in them .
....:baked: :coffee: :rofl: that's a fine way to fritter the day away! I can just see it in my mind Hec,...bum on a bucket, joint tucked to one side of your mouth, pot on your lap, iron whisping nasty smoke that you bob and weave around,... and a satisfied grin on your face...:smoking:
... roger that on the bat guano,... maybe we'll have to get you some of eP's Special formulation from his spot next to the naught step! :crying:... we slip some saltpeter into his pilchards so as to boost the K content of his prize guano! :rofl: *(sshhhhh, dinnae tell!)

... :woohoo1: outdoor plants are looking great man....Blooming already no less! :hump:.... so, it's good brother Robbio that bred these fine crosses? :eyebrows: :thumbsup: I'm super super keen on seeing them in full bloom,... I was window shopping at the CannaBioGen website the other night,.. Did I mention they have their first auto now, made using Destroyer/Desfran? :headbang: They also had several amazing sounding strains that other seed banks don't seem to carry,... A super fast African cross called Lilly..... Edy, a Congo x Himalayan,...some others that were very enticing!

...:vibe: daaaaamn, that's a sizable mantis there mate! And I don't think it was fully mature yet, the wings weren't fully formed,.. next molt likely! What a brute it'll be then, a hummingbird eater- :nono:....

.... A very interesting article here hecno, very much so,...some new dots connected there! I knew Si was involved with several things, but the info sources didn't get into specifics much,.. i didn't realize it was such a facilitator in transport, it really does "grease the wheels" doesn't it,... So strange to this day, it's not considered a "required nutrient",... I have been adding Si, extra Ca-mg and micro's, and humic-fulvics all the time regardless of what the primary nutes contain,... The Green leaf Nutrients/MegaCrop folks have a nice looking line, formulated with amino-chelated nutes instead of EDTA and other less 'friendly" chelation agents,...

>>> :spels::spels::spels: :woody: two words: bud shrubs! :clapper: -- small hiccups aside mate, they are beauties,.... that's a lot of plant in those pots, so small wonder demand is outpacing supply now! Is that the MA in front? ...back left sure looks like the BBG, practically a solid mass of branches! I swear, this strain is the most consistently bushy I know of...
....Outstanding Hecno :bow: :bravo:..... be back shortly with some fun pics,...

OK, here's that little silver needle leaf Tillandsia argenta--->

d8.jpg
d7.jpg
d2.jpg
d3.jpg

>>> last week I stumbled onto this really cool colored one at a hardware/garden center,... really rich color, changes with light in a neat way,...

a1.jpg
a3.jpg
d2.jpg
d4.jpg

>>> White Trumpet Pitcher Plant flowers, this year,...

d5.jpg

d6.jpg

:dancer: exotic beauties dancing in your garden mate! I love their classic Sativa girls build,... the buds are forming up nicely too Hec', hairy buggers aren't they! --like little pom-poms :greenthumb:.... could you tell me who's who in there when you get a chance? ...bottom pic far back right,.. that one is chunking up! :d5: .... middle pic', that one is looking landracey fluffy,.. watch out for her, that'll be some kinda soaring buzz I bet! :dizzy:

@Waira Air plants are another type of plant I like , just don't have the time for them at the moment . But one day I will start on them . Here is a site for you to look at , http://www.orchidsnewguinea.com Papua New Guinea is the Holy Grail of orchids , Ok back right is Mr Rs Zamadelica x Yeti - the middle one is Desfan x Sour 2 - I have 2 of them , they are the ones poking above the wire , [ Different breeder ] the one at the front is LesPrez x Sour 2 again [ Different breeder ] now this one is interesting it is a -- Fasciation --

Although fasciation is rare overall, it has been observed in over 100 plant species,[8] including members of the genera Acer, Aloe, Acanthosicyos, Cannabis, Celosia, Delphinium, Digitalis, Euphorbia, Forsythia, Glycine max (specifically, soybean plants),[10] Primula, Prunus, Salix and many genera of the Cactaceae (cactus) family.[citation needed] Cresting results in undulating folds instead of the typical "arms" found on mature Saguaro cactus.[11]

Some varieties of Celosia are raised especially for their dependably fasciated flower heads, for which they are called "cockscomb".[4] The Japanese Fantail Willow (Salix sachalinensis 'Sekka') is another plant that is valued for its fasciations.[4][8] ---

I decided to keep it going because I enjoy sitting and looking at it . Where these girls are living is not ideal for this time of year [ sun hours ] I will do another run at the end of June , which will give me to October to finish . I plan on planting Mango Haze and PNG x Durban poison . I will veg these in the room first .

One of the main things I like about the Tilandsia is the many ways you can display them . :thumbsup:

maxresdefault.jpg

I saw some nice fasciation on Peyote cactus on a show I was watching the other day. "Hamilton's Pharmacopoeia" it was probably one of the better episodes. Nice one brother:pass:
Oh and I have seen a couple here on canna

Back