Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

I did a test press yesterday on some flower. It was ok for a test, but it's not why I bought the press.
I got the press to mainly squish hash. I think quality flower is best used in vaping, smoking and financing growing toys, tools and equipment. Normally the hash made is from lesser quality material that not marketable and difficult to use. By squishing hash, I can make the same amount of rosin a much bigger press can do with flower.

For what I do currently, it's the most logical path.

Need to get some terps and carts for my Hermes vape.
Time to get a quartz banger fer my bong.

Now what I do need is advice on squishing hash.
I have the 3.5g 37 micron bags for hash. Do I really need to double bag or can I just slow the squish as I'm applying pressure.
What's the best temp and time for hash? Is the application rate of pressure more important than the time fully squished or is the squish fairly much done by the plates fully comes together?

I did a 3.5g press in 160 micron bag bottle tech at 205*F for 90sec. I just followed one of NS vids on temp and time.
Got an ok result at 15% return, but it's good enough for a test. I didn't use the really frosty bud.
IMG_20210510_190334244_HDR.jpg

I did a test press yesterday on some flower. It was ok for a test, but it's not why I bought the press.
I got the press to mainly squish hash. I think quality flower is best used in vaping, smoking and financing growing toys, tools and equipment. Normally the hash made is from lesser quality material that not marketable and difficult to use. By squishing hash, I can make the same amount of rosin a much bigger press can do with flower.

For what I do currently, it's the most logical path.

Need to get some terps and carts for my Hermes vape.
Time to get a quartz banger fer my bong.

Now what I do need is advice on squishing hash.
I have the 3.5g 37 micron bags for hash. Do I really need to double bag or can I just slow the squish as I'm applying pressure.
What's the best temp and time for hash? Is the application rate of pressure more important than the time fully squished or is the squish fairly much done by the plates fully comes together?

I did a 3.5g press in 160 micron bag bottle tech at 205*F for 90sec. I just followed one of NS vids on temp and time.
Got an ok result at 15% return, but it's good enough for a test. I didn't use the really frosty bud.
View attachment 1317080
I really like to keep my temps low for hash. Around 180. The low temps preserve more terpenes. The higher I go, the darker it seems to come out. I think if you double bag it, it will kill yield having to pass through two 37 micron screens. If you can pre press or puck up the hash, then do a bottle tech style fold of the micron bag, it will help a lot. The theory behind bottle tech is, less surface area being pressed as compared to a micron bag being laid flat between the plates.

I really like to keep my temps low for hash. Around 180. The low temps preserve more terpenes. The higher I go, the darker it seems to come out. I think if you double bag it, it will kill yield having to pass through two 37 micron screens. If you can pre press or puck up the hash, then do a bottle tech style fold of the micron bag, it will help a lot. The theory behind bottle tech is, less surface area being pressed as compared to a micron bag being laid flat between the plates.
180 is what I've been gathering is a good temp. I didn't see it worthwhile in double bagging it, if I went slow in the squish. I don't have a way to pre-pack, but I don't see it being too much of a problem, but this stuff is pretty sticky. Maybe I see if cold glass rod can be used to pack a little better in a bag.
I'm gonna see with a little 3-3.5g test squish tonight. I'll actually document what I do this time. :biggrin:

I’m no expert, having only done a few hash squishes so far, so grain of salt…

160 for temp is plenty high for hash. I press flower at 180. I think bottle tech is only appropriate for flower rosin squishes, though I could be wrong. With hash rosin, you want the squish off the heat as soon as possible, so make a small envelope and use Directional Flow (google it for vids). Bottle tech pools the squish on the heating element, buddering it up a bit. Directional flow preserves that “fresh press” texture much better.

Regarding double bagging, actually you want to triple bag. One each direction of the 2x micron or maybe 37 micron, then a larger micron to hold that together. Trim the extra bag off the bags, but just a single bag or double bag will likely result in a blown squish. I realize it sounds wasteful but I blew out a double bagged squish and the puck fucked up my rosin in that area. By blown out, I mean the two bags slid until raw material squirted out the gap. Not a true blowout.

Packing the bag is the hardest part IMO. Try to do it in as cold a room as possible. It gunks up quickly. Try to minimize gaps in the bag and squish as lightly as possible, as slow as possible, until the flow stops. Second squish can be 175 and higher pressure. Should add at most 10% and significantly darker product.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I used tumbled kief for squishing and I triple bagged it first with a 220 on the outside. Then double bagged with a 220 outside.
I did a run of a single bag and had no blowout. All 37u on inside. I have heard that you can fold a pouch out of 37u material and press it no problem and less waste. I have not been able to find out more or how to do this. It seems when you press hash you don't need as much pressure. I have given up on double pressing, I will just reclaim in alcohol. Here is Greenthumb of LA family farms pressing hash

i

LOL! Looks like I have some more research to what will work with the mini.
Pretty sure I need to keep the bag to 1.5"-1.6” Diameter to keep the actual material pressure with what the Mini was designed for.
Maybe I'll just call NugSmasher tomorrow. Might be interesting.

I pressed the kief flat on the OG.

Back