Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

I'm going to try my NuggSmasher Mini with a 3.5g flower for my first squish.
What micron size
What temp?
How slow of a squish to get to full contact"
How long to squish after full contact?

What micron size
What temp?
I have absolutely no idea :)
Take pics of the first attempts for fun, no matter how messed up they are :biggrin:

What micron size
What temp?

You want 90 or 37 micron for flower. All the internet says 90 but I had zero problems with 37 as well. 180ish is a good base temp to start with. Seems like it takes on more darker colors above that, with marginal yield increase. I’ve gone as low as 170 on flower presses. Google “bottle tech” for the best method to use your pouch and bud to maximize yield, or check out the video below. Basically, you flip the bag inside out, invert the bottom corners and pack it tight, then prepress the bag and cut off excess bag, then fold over like wrapping a present. This minimizes the spread/surface area of the bud that would otherwise wick back up the rendered oil. Once it’s ready and on the press/parchment and you get full contact, give it 30 sec to warm up the oil, then slowly increase pressure until it stops flowing out. Don’t worry about directional flow (out the front of the press like in all the IG videos), just get the rosin out, I usually get to 300 on my gauge. Then, a quick decompress and scrape scrape. It helps to stick it in the freezer for 30 sec some times to free it from the parchment if it’s a super wet squish. Generally, after the 30 sec warmup, I’m done in 2 min. If I ever did a 2nd squish at say 195 and higher pressure, it was only a bit more and much darker so now I only do one, solid squish and save all the pucks.

This is the video I used to get the process straight.

And feel free to track your squishes here:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes Bill.

You want 90 or 37 micron for flower. All the internet says 90 but I had zero problems with 37 as well. 180ish is a good base temp to start with. Seems like it takes on more darker colors above that, with marginal yield increase. I’ve gone as low as 170 on flower presses. Google “bottle tech” for the best method to use your pouch and bud to maximize yield, or check out the video below. Basically, you flip the bag inside out, invert the bottom corners and pack it tight, then prepress the bag and cut off excess bag, then fold over like wrapping a present. This minimizes the spread/surface area of the bud that would otherwise wick back up the rendered oil. Once it’s ready and on the press/parchment and you get full contact, give it 30 sec to warm up the oil, then slowly increase pressure until it stops flowing out. Don’t worry about directional flow (out the front of the press like in all the IG videos), just get the rosin out, I usually get to 300 on my gauge. Then, a quick decompress and scrape scrape. It helps to stick it in the freezer for 30 sec some times to free it from the parchment if it’s a super wet squish. Generally, after the 30 sec warmup, I’m done in 2 min. If I ever did a 2nd squish at say 195 and higher pressure, it was only a bit more and much darker so now I only do one, solid squish and save all the pucks.

Thanks for the info and your results. I guess I need to set up my own results too.

very nice data collection!

Well, after having two stores telling me they had dry ice and didn't, I found a little over $10 worth @$1,29 lb. :grrr1:

Now to the Bubble Bowl shake of HBSS!
I did learn a few things!
1. Don't pack the freezer bags!!!!!!! Especially with a REALLY sticky fresh frozen canna!
2. Fully break up said sticky buds! LOL!

HBSS had pretty big trichs. There was not a lot in the 120-90 size. The first shake in all the bowls was 1min 30 seconds. Second shake was until I saw a slight color change....about 3 min.
I kept the first shakes together. I'm just not picky enough to separate the two bowls. The first shake
I worked a good bit less than half and got 37g in the first shake and 68g in the pretty high quality second shake. Very pretty results!
I'm going to take the wet worked material and dry it on a few of my BBQ trays. I'm pretty sure there's lots left, so with my Ardent FX coming in I can decarb it and infuse it into probably coca butter.I do have some coconut oil too for some brownies I bought a french press to strain the oil today also. I found a black tray, like a plant pot tray, but with a smooth bottom. Great to shake into on the second shake.
If it's not strong enough, can you infuse oil that's already been infused?

Here's the results.
View attachment 1309074

How'd you prep your fresh frozen? product looks A1 beautiful :drool:

How'd you prep your fresh frozen? product looks A1 beautiful :drool:
Frozen for 24 hrs. I had to bust n cut it up quite a bit. The bud was crazy sticky and I PACKED it in the gallon freezer bags. NOT gonna do that anymore.............unless I have to because of grub or canna.
Once I had enough, I bust up some ice, I'm not stingy with it. I put it in the bowl first, add the canna, place the cover and just a little mixing shake and let it sit for about 3min. Shake after that.
I found on the first run that I had a material size problem with quite a few nuggs among the finer material ya get from shaking with dry ice.
I just picked them and most of the ice for the next run.
The first shake is killer! I put some in my Yocan Evolve Plus with a ceramic coil and almost nothing is left and hits HARD! The second shake is only a slight step down! LOL!
I'm gonna get a few more of the black round collection platter if I can find more at Wally World. I can do more second shake runs or run longer for lessor quality hash before needing to collect. I can let one shake dry out fully/properly while making another shake.

Frozen for 24 hrs. I had to bust n cut it up quite a bit. The bud was crazy sticky and I PACKED it in the gallon freezer bags. NOT gonna do that anymore.............unless I have to because of grub or canna.
Once I had enough, I bust up some ice, I'm not stingy with it. I put it in the bowl first, add the canna, place the cover and just a little mixing shake and let it sit for about 3min. Shake after that.
I found on the first run that I had a material size problem with quite a few nuggs among the finer material ya get from shaking with dry ice.
I just picked them and most of the ice for the next run.
The first shake is killer! I put some in my Yocan Evolve Plus with a ceramic coil and almost nothing is left and hits HARD! The second shake is only a slight step down! LOL!
I'm gonna get a few more of the black round collection platter if I can find more at Wally World. I can do more second shake runs or run longer for lessor quality hash before needing to collect. I can let one shake dry out fully/properly while making another shake.
Maybe some parchment in the gal bag to prevent resin sticking???
Sounds like a great vape... :)

What micron size
What temp?
i saw in your thread you mentioned it I own the rosinbomb rocket myself and this thread has made me want to get her back out the box also @terp182 thanks for all that data

Back