Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

I got this one from a private breeder and I have another 6 or 7 seeds but will ask if he has more, I would love to try and grow a sea of green with these.

There are repeated mentions of how labor intensive sifting dry powder is. A vibrator, the sexual type meant for use by/on females, dropped on or touched to vibrate the screen can very much speed up the sifting part. I have a little USB-powered egg vibrator, probably was no more than $5 on Ebay, that does the job great. The need to use a card to push around powder can be almost eliminated. Those sifting more may want to pay more and get one with power and speed adjustments, to make sure they get optimal settings for use with their sifting equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: pop22

pop22

Good Tip!
There are repeated mentions of how labor intensive sifting dry powder is. A vibrator, the sexual type meant for use by/on females, dropped on or touched to vibrate the screen can very much speed up the sifting part. I have a little USB-powered egg vibrator, probably was no more than $5 on Ebay, that does the job great. The need to use a card to push around powder can be almost eliminated. Those sifting more may want to pay more and get one with power and speed adjustments, to make sure they get optimal settings for use with their sifting equipment.
When it comes in the mail how am I going to explain this to my wife?
And, what if she likes it ?
I think I better pass on this one.

When it comes in the mail how am I going to explain this to my wife?
And, what if she likes it ?
I think I better pass on this one.
Tell her the truth - It's not for her, that you never even thought about her maybe enjoying using it. As wife of a grower, she can probably well understand that.

Sawzaa attached to 5 gal bucket or metal paint can... with angle bracket attached to cut in half saw zaw blade & screen attached to metal bucket large metal circular clamp secured to bottom, shakes at a high flo rate would work per below-
You tube video...”Make Dry Ice Kief-The Fast Way!”

I’ll get around to this eventually, use a 5 gal collection bucket lined with wax free parchment paper bottom & sides, much easier to collect because of static...then just dump on flat parchment sheets put out on table and shake/dump those into jar,or whatever u use (I have done all this but have not used the Sawzall before)
Note smaller chunks of dry ice will not break as much leave material down, but will still make trics brittle & break off...

Thanks for the vibrator reminder✌️

Made a bit more today from my Northern Lights x Big Buds stash, started out with 32 gram and ended up with over 8 gram of really nice hash.
I have also been collecting small nuggets of 0.25g - 0.50g of some of the various bits I have made, getting a bit of a colourful collection :smoking:
20210209_165359.jpg
20210209_170242.jpg

Made a bit more today from my Northern Lights x Big Buds stash, started out with 32 gram and ended up with over 8 gram of really nice hash.
I have also been collecting small nuggets of 0.25g - 0.50g of some of the various bits I have made, getting a bit of a colourful collection :smoking:
View attachment 1285304View attachment 1285305
Good thing you put some different colors and shapes in there. Some stoner might accuse YOU of being high and raiding your rabbit coup. :funny:

Nice little collection!:thumbsup:

Got about 3-4 ounces of bud fresh frozen. Hopefully tomorrow I'll fire up the machine and get the hash made! Then., I have a trash bag 3/4 full of trim!

So I went and did a few test runs of dry ice sift with the bubble buckets today. For pressing rosin, I wasn't super impressed. I used 4 different sifts of varying quality and age, all about a half oz. One was a "miscellaneous" bag of past buds from retail and the medical market, thrown in a ziploc in the freezer from the past 6 months. Another was some retail MAC and Phog (Face Off OG x Freeze), about 4 months old. Third was some Double Grape from my first grow, and then last was the retail Platinum OG, which had just cured and hit the shelves at 61% RH.

First, my yields were shit. So shit, I didn't measure them. I got as expected yields for the sift in the first and second screens (around 25-30% from shaking 90 sec for the 120 screen, then 90 sec for 160 screen), but yields coming off the press were terrible, to where I got no where near even a gram and a half off any of the 4. I'm sure most of this was user error, these being my first ever sift presses (all at 160, 45 sec warm up, 2-2.5 min slow press to 400, then scrape and a second press at 180 to 500+, in 37u bags). I wasn't sure how to pre-pack the bags, so I filled them tightish, cut excess bag and folded over, and then pressed them in the pre-press not too hard before putting in the parchment.

For a baseline, last night I did a test flower squish of the Platinum OG (POG), and got 25% return of really nice flower rosin. .45 first press, .05ish second press off a 2 gram tester. The second press was darker/greener, and shatterier. All of the presses today resembled that second press in that they were darker and shatterier than the one first flower test press. Not sure if the dry ice fries the resin, or I just went too hard on the pressure or cured it wrong, but with yields being what they were I'm more inclined now to focus on solving how to dry water hash/ice wax without oxidation, i.e. super blonde and squishable.

Below are the four. What I found interesting is that color was a function of age. The oldest bud's rosin is the darkest, and the newest the lightest, arranged in order. I'm putting the miscellaneous rosin in the edibles bin for later along with the used pouches and pucks, but the rest of the rosin smells great and smokes well enough, but has more particulate in it than I'd hoped for, enough to notice it in taste. Learning! Hopefully someone benefits from this - nothing groundbreaking but if you're gonna squish, use bud that's as fresh as possible, and avoid the dry ice sift, apparently.

Attachments

• C9321716-6CC1-4991-93CA-1ECCC3C71A78.jpeg
    C9321716-6CC1-4991-93CA-1ECCC3C71A78.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 37
Back