Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

Made a bit more today from my Northern Lights x Big Buds stash, started out with 32 gram and ended up with over 8 gram of really nice hash.
I have also been collecting small nuggets of 0.25g - 0.50g of some of the various bits I have made, getting a bit of a colourful collection :smoking:
View attachment 1285304View attachment 1285305

Russel Stover candy Co. could come out with a whole new line up in the
Ol candy box...I’ll have a “Bavarian Dream”, no...Maybe that nice
“Afghani Dark”...:drool:

So I went and did a few test runs of dry ice sift with the bubble buckets today. For pressing rosin, I wasn't super impressed. I used 4 different sifts of varying quality and age, all about a half oz. One was a "miscellaneous" bag of past buds from retail and the medical market, thrown in a ziploc in the freezer from the past 6 months. Another was some retail MAC and Phog (Face Off OG x Freeze), about 4 months old. Third was some Double Grape from my first grow, and then last was the retail Platinum OG, which had just cured and hit the shelves at 61% RH.

First, my yields were shit. So shit, I didn't measure them. I got as expected yields for the sift in the first and second screens (around 25-30% from shaking 90 sec for the 120 screen, then 90 sec for 160 screen), but yields coming off the press were terrible, to where I got no where near even a gram and a half off any of the 4. I'm sure most of this was user error, these being my first ever sift presses (all at 160, 45 sec warm up, 2-2.5 min slow press to 400, then scrape and a second press at 180 to 500+, in 37u bags). I wasn't sure how to pre-pack the bags, so I filled them tightish, cut excess bag and folded over, and then pressed them in the pre-press not too hard before putting in the parchment.

For a baseline, last night I did a test flower squish of the Platinum OG (POG), and got 25% return of really nice flower rosin. .45 first press, .05ish second press off a 2 gram tester. The second press was darker/greener, and shatterier. All of the presses today resembled that second press in that they were darker and shatterier than the one first flower test press. Not sure if the dry ice fries the resin, or I just went too hard on the pressure or cured it wrong, but with yields being what they were I'm more inclined now to focus on solving how to dry water hash/ice wax without oxidation, i.e. super blonde and squishable.

Below are the four. What I found interesting is that color was a function of age. The oldest bud's rosin is the darkest, and the newest the lightest, arranged in order. I'm putting the miscellaneous rosin in the edibles bin for later along with the used pouches and pucks, but the rest of the rosin smells great and smokes well enough, but has more particulate in it than I'd hoped for, enough to notice it in taste. Learning! Hopefully someone benefits from this - nothing groundbreaking but if you're gonna squish, use bud that's as fresh as possible, and avoid the dry ice sift, apparently.
Did you use fresh frozen with the dry ice? I read somewhere that's best case. Going by the directions with my bubble bowls, My first shake was ok in quantity, but the quality was fuggin' perfect. The second shake into a stainless bowl was done with the recommended time and the amount was good and the quality was still VERY good and light. That material was bagged up and placed back in the freezer. I had four one gallon bags of rough trimmed buds to process after taking 5oz of top buds from Miss Wispy. At a later time, I found the forth bag I didn't process. I took that bag and extended the first shake time by a min. I got more results and still great quality. I did the second shake with a min added with great results. with the same material, I swapped athe collection bowl with an empty one and shook until I got a hint of color, I got quite a bit more.

The reason for that diatribe it that in the future, I want to take the dry ice shake results and squish it with my friend's NuggSmasher. Ice water wash seems messy and ya have to dry it out.

I just got dry ice pellets this morning, what micron bubble bags do you guys recommend?

Did you use fresh frozen with the dry ice? I read somewhere that's best case. Going by the directions with my bubble bowls, My first shake was ok in quantity, but the quality was fuggin' perfect. The second shake into a stainless bowl was done with the recommended time and the amount was good and the quality was still VERY good and light. That material was bagged up and placed back in the freezer. I had four one gallon bags of rough trimmed buds to process after taking 5oz of top buds from Miss Wispy. At a later time, I found the forth bag I didn't process. I took that bag and extended the first shake time by a min. I got more results and still great quality. I did the second shake with a min added with great results. with the same material, I swapped athe collection bowl with an empty one and shook until I got a hint of color, I got quite a bit more.

The reason for that diatribe it that in the future, I want to take the dry ice shake results and squish it with my friend's NuggSmasher. Ice water wash seems messy and ya have to dry it out.
Fresh frozen/dryice dry shake (According to the articles I’ve read Is great for terpine retention, but must be dried fully to remove moisture that had not been removed previously)

I just got dry ice pellets this morning, what micron bubble bags do you guys recommend?
Personally for me, because I am not going for top shelf, I use a 120 µm for A/B grade combined, and 160 µm to finish off removing ALL trics... C grade if u will—Because I do not have large quantities of sugar leaves and I don’t want to use all of the Buds!!!
( Hell I’ll hand grind the shake and use the 160 µm bag 6-7-8times i’m always amazed how much pollen you can get from good quality bud!

Fresh frozen/dryice dry shake (According to the articles I’ve read Is great for terpine retention, but must be dried fully to remove moisture that had not been removed previously)
Oh yeah. I spread it out on a big piece of clean cardboard to dry. I think the terps were sure there! It smelled amazing. I sure had to sample it and it was really flavorful!

I mutilated 148g of fresh frozen trim using 120, 160 and 190, still more to be had from it but I got tired, well happy with today's results though :)
My first dry ice hash.
20210210_183723.jpg

I hear ya. It was your posts that gave me the inspiration to get the bowls. No I just used cured and frozen bud of various ages, from 2 week cure to 6ish months. Hopefully it works better for you than it did for me - I was hoping the 37u bag would filter more leaf matter out, but the rosin was definitely greener than the flower rosin of the same strain. Not undabbable by any means, but not the quality I was hoping for. And my efficiency was shit but that’s most likely operator errors.

I did cure them on the press at 86 last night and whipped them this morning. Their texture was much better than the shattery/glassy texture straight off the press. Looking forward to hearing about your squishes with it! Keep your first presses relatively low pressure if possible! 160 seemed to work well.

I hear ya. It was your posts that gave me the inspiration to get the bowls. No I just used cured and frozen bud of various ages, from 2 week cure to 6ish months. Hopefully it works better for you than it did for me - I was hoping the 37u bag would filter more leaf matter out, but the rosin was definitely greener than the flower rosin of the same strain. Not undabbable by any means, but not the quality I was hoping for. And my efficiency was shit but that’s most likely operator errors.

I did cure them on the press at 86 last night and whipped them this morning. Their texture was much better than the shattery/glassy texture straight off the press. Looking forward to hearing about your squishes with it! Keep your first presses relatively low pressure if possible! 160 seemed to work well.
Cool. All my results were pretty like JSH1973
My friend is pretty experienced in squishing all sorts of canna. I'll defer to his experienced hand when we make a test run. Hopefully he can work it in. I offered to help him run his material and smoke an assortment of pecan smoked meats that day. :cools:

Back