Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

Well, I finally did it! Made some waterhash from some fresh frozen Blue Dragon bud. I used what I would I would guess to be 90-100g if dry. I have a washer that I've only used once before with some trim. I'm very pleased with the results! I got more hash from these buds than I did from a 1/2 pound of trim lol! I did three washes. I noticed a little green in the 25 so I stopped these. I kept it simple. I used the 190 bag as the trash bag, then a 160, a 73, and a 25. The 25 I'm going to test in edibles. Only got A very small amount in the 160 bag. The resin in the 73 looks very nice! A blond color. I am drying it the Bubbleman way, on cardboard. The air is so dry here, I'm not going to freeze it and microplane it. I'm going to work it by hand after it feels dry then dry it again by flattening it out on the cardboard. Then I'll work it into a ball. I'll only be doing this with the catch from the 73 bag. The 160 I'll dry it then crumble it into a silicone jar and sprinkle it in joints.

Hash washer pic1.jpg
Hash washer pic2.jpg
Hash pic1.jpg

In the machine I layered it, ice then bud then more ice then more bud and topped with ice. My water is very cold. I made a bucket of RO water then put snow in it until the snow formed ice chunks that didn't melt ( damn near froze my hand in that water )!

In the machine I layered it, ice then bud then more ice then more bud and topped with ice. My water is very cold. I made a bucket of RO water then put snow in it until the snow formed ice chunks that didn't melt ( damn near froze my hand in that water )!

How much total yield ??? The bud looks great...:lol: :drunks:

(Looks like leafly rates BD @ 17% thc, so 17 grams give or take maybe ???)
I noticed your buds appear to be whole not broken down, if I’m right do u dry them & “dry sift” using a 160u screen to see if any trics left?
I did this last year with one batch & was surprised at the additional yield,
lower quality for the one hitter, but potent!!!)

I’ll dry my wet kief on paper towels on top of a 25u screen towel or some printers screen I have, I’ll just fold the screen over & press down with more paper towels...then use a blow dryer from one ft away to dry & chop it faster, then onto the flower drying rack for 4-5 days & temple ball time...age cure...(after blow dryer , I’ll roll it out flat between parchment paper 1st then on the dry rack by itself).

:applause:

So I went and did a few test runs of dry ice sift with the bubble buckets today. For pressing rosin, I wasn't super impressed. I used 4 different sifts of varying quality and age, all about a half oz. One was a "miscellaneous" bag of past buds from retail and the medical market, thrown in a ziploc in the freezer from the past 6 months. Another was some retail MAC and Phog (Face Off OG x Freeze), about 4 months old. Third was some Double Grape from my first grow, and then last was the retail Platinum OG, which had just cured and hit the shelves at 61% RH.

First, my yields were shit. So shit, I didn't measure them. I got as expected yields for the sift in the first and second screens (around 25-30% from shaking 90 sec for the 120 screen, then 90 sec for 160 screen), but yields coming off the press were terrible, to where I got no where near even a gram and a half off any of the 4. I'm sure most of this was user error, these being my first ever sift presses (all at 160, 45 sec warm up, 2-2.5 min slow press to 400, then scrape and a second press at 180 to 500+, in 37u bags). I wasn't sure how to pre-pack the bags, so I filled them tightish, cut excess bag and folded over, and then pressed them in the pre-press not too hard before putting in the parchment.

For a baseline, last night I did a test flower squish of the Platinum OG (POG), and got 25% return of really nice flower rosin. .45 first press, .05ish second press off a 2 gram tester. The second press was darker/greener, and shatterier. All of the presses today resembled that second press in that they were darker and shatterier than the one first flower test press. Not sure if the dry ice fries the resin, or I just went too hard on the pressure or cured it wrong, but with yields being what they were I'm more inclined now to focus on solving how to dry water hash/ice wax without oxidation, i.e. super blonde and squishable.

Below are the four. What I found interesting is that color was a function of age. The oldest bud's rosin is the darkest, and the newest the lightest, arranged in order. I'm putting the miscellaneous rosin in the edibles bin for later along with the used pouches and pucks, but the rest of the rosin smells great and smokes well enough, but has more particulate in it than I'd hoped for, enough to notice it in taste. Learning! Hopefully someone benefits from this - nothing groundbreaking but if you're gonna squish, use bud that's as fresh as possible, and avoid the dry ice sift, apparently.

Very nice. I'd love me some of that.

The buds were broke down to about the size of a large olive and yes, I only did a very light trim. No I haven't dry sifted bud, only trim. And this is only my third run ever of water hash, and the first good run I've had. And I decided to frezze it after all didn't want to chance it molding, so I'll let it sublimate in the freezer for a couple days. Then I'll chop it up and let it finish drying. If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll do like Frenchy and roll it with a hot bottle. If not, I'll just work it by hand.

Going to run trim tomorrow.

How much total yield ??? The bud looks great...:lol: :drunks:

(Looks like leafly rates BD @ 17% thc, so 17 grams give or take maybe ???)
I noticed your buds appear to be whole not broken down, if I’m right do u dry them & “dry sift” using a 160u screen to see if any trics left?
I did this last year with one batch & was surprised at the additional yield,
lower quality for the one hitter, but potent!!!)

I’ll dry my wet kief on paper towels on top of a 25u screen towel or some printers screen I have, I’ll just fold the screen over & press down with more paper towels...then use a blow dryer from one ft away to dry & chop it faster, then onto the flower drying rack for 4-5 days & temple ball time...age cure...(after blow dryer , I’ll roll it out flat between parchment paper 1st then on the dry rack by itself).

:applause:

Sawzaa attached to 5 gal bucket or metal paint can... with angle bracket attached to cut in half saw zaw blade & screen attached to metal bucket large metal circular clamp secured to bottom, shakes at a high flo rate would work per below-
You tube video...”Make Dry Ice Kief-The Fast Way!”

I’ll get around to this eventually, use a 5 gal collection bucket lined with wax free parchment paper bottom & sides, much easier to collect because of static...then just dump on flat parchment sheets put out on table and shake/dump those into jar,or whatever u use (I have done all this but have not used the Sawzall before)
Note smaller chunks of dry ice will not break as much leave material down, but will still make trics brittle & break off...

Thanks for the vibrator reminder✌
I presume an electric sander could also be adapted to vibrate screens and speed up everything.

I only made a nugget of 0.7g from 300mg ISO and 400mg mix of some dark flower and kief mix that wasn't sticky enough in itself.
20210215_185140.jpg

Back