Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

The little greenish turdette of kitchen sieve junk that I made reminds me of the stuff from the old days but more potent. I have also read that with dry ice, the mesh size makes less difference Than with bubble or dry sift, but the amount of time that you actually shake is more important. I’ve seen videos of a couple of guys using 160 or 220 bubble bags and they were still getting the real pale blonde stuff at the beginning and the more they shook the more brown/green the powder got
I noticed that the dry ice breaks the plant down to tiny bits of material that will pass through the higher number bubble bags but I'm not trying for any full melt hash. I wouldn't even know how to smoke something like that. The hash I make reminds me of the hash from the 70's and 80's I had access to. It also seems like a better option to store for long periods since it is easily frozen.

The little greenish turdette of kitchen sieve junk that I made reminds me of the stuff from the old days but more potent. I have also read that with dry ice, the mesh size makes less difference Than with bubble or dry sift, but the amount of time that you actually shake is more important. I’ve seen videos of a couple of guys using 160 or 220 bubble bags and they were still getting the real pale blonde stuff at the beginning and the more they shook the more brown/green the powder got
Yeah. That was my experience, but I mixed it all together because I prefer some plant material in the hash I make.

But has anyone tried throwing some dry ice into bubble hash water?? I wonder if yield would increase.

I'm
But has anyone tried throwing some dry ice into bubble hash water?? I wonder if yield would increase.
Unfortunately that won't work.
A couple things would happen.
First, the dry ice would rapidly and violently convert to co2 gas.
Second, it will freeze the water solid if enough dry ice is used.

Sadly, ice water can't get any colder than 0 C or 32 F without adding some impurities to lower the freezing point.

I'm beginning to wonder whether dry ice really does things better than freezer cold.
I've tried dry sift and dry ice, and the yields were similar.

I'm beginning to wonder whether dry ice really does things better than freezer cold.
I've tried dry sift and dry ice, and the yields were similar.

Dry ice is easier. What do you have to do with dry sift? How long does it take?

With dry ice, I just let it sit in a bubble bag in a bucket outside and gave it an occasional shake. Then went back outside to give a few more shakes. I had a large quantity of dry ice I got delivered to my house in a cooler of food. The ice was just a free benefit from the food order that I had a 50% off code for.

With dry sift don't you manually have to rub the weed against against a mesh? Don't you have to grind the plant materials first?

With dry ice, I spent five minutes moving the plant materials and dry ice for a couple minutes, then just let it sit in the bucket for awhile before shaking for a few seconds a couple times. The extreme cold broke everything up just because it became brittle from the extreme cold -109.3 degrees Fahrenheit versus 32 degrees of ice water or the -10 degrees inside my deep freeze.

Dry ice is easier. What do you have to do with dry sift? How long does it take?

With dry ice, I just let it sit in a bubble bag in a bucket outside and gave it an occasional shake. Then went back outside to give a few more shakes. I had a large quantity of dry ice I got delivered to my house in a cooler of food. The ice was just a free benefit from the food order that I had a 50% off code for.

With dry sift don't you manually have to rub the weed against against a mesh? Don't you have to grind the plant materials first?

With dry ice, I spent five minutes moving the plant materials and dry ice for a couple minutes, then just let it sit in the bucket for awhile before shaking for a few seconds a couple times. The extreme cold broke everything up just because it became brittle from the extreme cold -109.3 degrees Fahrenheit versus 32 degrees of ice water or the -10 degrees inside my deep freeze.

I would agree with your argument, sifting does take quite a while & you have to prep it. I've never converted to ice, dry or otherwise, only due to availability & cost.

One issue that some people apparently have is the lack of availability of dry ice. I live in a large urban area so I can go up to my supermarket and buy the stuff for $1.59 a pound out of the freestanding Penguin freezer as long as I have something to put it in, but some people can’t do that. And I know that from talking to people in my other hobby who are not high all the time so they may not of forgotten where they got the dry ice last week. :crying:

I'm not convinced that dry ice is worth using.

I recently used bubble bags without water in a 5 gal bucket to process 30 g freezer-cold flower for a first 5 minute shake.
Then I sat down in front of the TV and used fingers and a bubble bowl to do a room temp dry sift.
To my amazement, the finger dry sift yielded more than the bucket shaking.
I continued a few more finger sifts in front of the tv until the kief quality degraded enough to convince me to stop.
Altogether, this yielded about 20% of the original flower in good quality kief.
Another 6% of barely acceptable kief was also gotten, for a total of 26% return.

There is an article on Grow Weed Easy about a comparison some guys did. They said that the bubble was subjectively more potent, but the total from the dry ice (all grades) was 43% including about 25% of “best quality” the bubble yielded around 15% total. The test used two ounces of the same weed.

One issue that some people apparently have is the lack of availability of dry ice. I live in a large urban area so I can go up to my supermarket and buy the stuff for $1.59 a pound out of the freestanding Penguin freezer as long as I have something to put it in, but some people can’t do that. And I know that from talking to people in my other hobby who are not high all the time so they may not of forgotten where they got the dry ice last week. :crying:
I'm not convinced that dry ice is worth using.

I recently used bubble bags without water in a 5 gal bucket to process 30 g freezer-cold flower for a first 5 minute shake.
Then I sat down in front of the TV and used fingers and a bubble bowl to do a room temp dry sift.
To my amazement, the finger dry sift yielded more than the bucket shaking.
I continued a few more finger sifts in front of the tv until the kief quality degraded enough to convince me to stop.
Altogether, this yielded about 20% of the original flower in good quality kief.
Another 6% of barely acceptable kief was also gotten, for a total of 26% return.

In mine the difference is I got one and a quarter ounces of hash from a grocery bag of trim I would usually just cut onto the ground and throw into my brush pile to burn. I didn't use any actual flower. The dry ice made it fast and easy to process hash from frosty leaves I had saved without wasting any bud. The first time I ran hash was with buds and trim through five bags with ice and ice water and it was too much work for what it yielded.

With the dry ice it was just a side benefit of getting five good size blocks of dry ice free because it isn't available where I live without a 150 mile round trip drive usually.

Back