Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

I suspect that I am an even older fart than the original poster who’s talking about discovering hash in the early 90s. I think I discovered it in the late 70s and definitely the early 80s. A lot of the stuff that is called hash today I would probably be more inclined to call OIL. So when I am looking to make hash, I guess I am thinking about making a stronger version of the stuff that we used to get back in the day, but not the full melt crazy stuff. From what I’m seeing online, a number of people my age or older are kind of looking for the same thing. of course, you hear those same folks saying that they wouldn’t mind having some bud that wasn’t quite as potent as some of the stuff so that they can actually enjoy smoking it instead of being paralyzed. LOL
I’m looking at the various and sundry videos and websites, I kind of get the impression that full melt tends to be at least 75% THC if you’re talking about stuff like rosin and may be a little bit higher if you’re just talking about pure trichome heads. As best as I can recall, old-school hash, even the gummy black stuff, did not melt. It dried out of really gummy and then kind of burned like incense. From what I’ve read, none of that stuff was ever over about 20% THC and most of it was in single digits, oft times below 5%. What I’m wondering is it what percentages do you see in stuff that you would call partial melt and at what point do you have enough “contaminants“That stuff will only burn like the hash of old?

I suspect that I am an even older fart than the original poster who’s talking about discovering hash in the early 90s. I think I discovered it in the late 70s and definitely the early 80s. A lot of the stuff that is called hash today I would probably be more inclined to call OIL. So when I am looking to make hash, I guess I am thinking about making a stronger version of the stuff that we used to get back in the day, but not the full melt crazy stuff. From what I’m seeing online, a number of people my age or older are kind of looking for the same thing. of course, you hear those same folks saying that they wouldn’t mind having some bud that wasn’t quite as potent as some of the stuff so that they can actually enjoy smoking it instead of being paralyzed. LOL
I’m looking at the various and sundry videos and websites, I kind of get the impression that full melt tends to be at least 75% THC if you’re talking about stuff like rosin and may be a little bit higher if you’re just talking about pure trichome heads. As best as I can recall, old-school hash, even the gummy black stuff, did not melt. It dried out of really gummy and then kind of burned like incense. From what I’ve read, none of that stuff was ever over about 20% THC and most of it was in single digits, oft times below 5%. What I’m wondering is it what percentages do you see in stuff that you would call partial melt and at what point do you have enough “contaminants“That stuff will only burn like the hash of old?

I hear what you are saying mate, a lot of hash today is so refined it takes it to a completely different level. I'm not a full melt fan myself (though I'd certainly smoke it if I had any). I find it too unmanageable, and like a little plant matter in the mix to give it some stability & I find more taste. A 120 micron screen does just that for me.

Personally I don't really do percentages, but rather just take it that if the weed was good, then the hash will be really good. I'm sure some of the others would have a better idea.

I would love to have my hash tested though, that would be interesting.

I had access to plenty of hash in the late 1970's and 1980 in Europe and it looked just like the stuff I made and posted a few pages back. Pretty much what you mentioned. I also had a couple grams purchased in Michigan for about $14.00 back in 1982. Same type of hash. I never messed with any in Turkey in 1980. We were required to watch Midnight Express before going ashore.

I had access to plenty of hash in the late 1970's and 1980 in Europe and it looked just like the stuff I made and posted a few pages back. Pretty much what you mentioned. I also had a couple grams purchased in Michigan for about $14.00 back in 1982. Same type of hash. I never messed with any in Turkey in 1980. We were required to watch Midnight Express before going ashore.
The best stuff that I had back then was early to mid 80s in Miami and then in Amsterdam, and in both cases, it was gummy black stuff. It was very good, but is best as I can remember it was not as good as this little green piece of crap that I have in my freezer right now that I made from Fastberry trim using a fine kitchen sieve. It has the taste that I remember from the blond Lebanese stuff from the early 80’s but it’s a considerably more potent. The “finger hash” that I rolled off my fingers after trimming the stuff was pretty mindbending too. After thinking about it a little bit, I suspected what I’m looking to do is make some that may be like 50% THC but I don’t need 90% and I want to smoke it. It kind of sounds like I might be able to get that done with the kind of weed that I am growing or plan to grow and maybe a 120 or even a 160 screen and some dry ice

Last edited:
The best stuff that I had back then was early to mid 80s in Miami and then in Amsterdam, and in both cases, it was gummy black stuff. It was very good, but is best as I can remember it was not as good as this little green piece of crap that I have in my freezer right now that I made from Fastberry trim using a fine kitchen sieve. It has the taste that I remember from the blond Lebanese stuff from the early 80’s but it’s a considerably more potent. The “finger hash” that I rolled off my fingers after trimming the stuff was pretty mindbending too. After thinking about it a little bit, I suspected what I’m looking to do is make some that may be like 50% THC but I don’t need 90% and I want to smoke it. It kind of sounds like I might be able to get that done with the kind of weed that I am growing or plan to grow and maybe a 120 or even a 160 screen and some dry ice
The stuff I made with ice and water didn't yield as much as dry ice and was a lot more work but seems very potent.

The hash I made with dry ice yielded so much more, but I was also processing just a bag of trim I had in my freezer since last October or November. I'm not sure of the amount I had in the bag but I ended up with more than an ounce of hash when I finished pressing it all in the two pollen presses I used.

The one press had resin leaking out of the pressed hash. I had dried the trim in a brown paper bag and it was setting in my basement for a month or more while I was harvesting and trimming two pounds of buds over several weeks in staggered harvest and I added my final trimmings to the bag as I completed each harvest.

I wasted the majority of trim while harvesting and trimming colas outside, just letting it drop to the ground. I'd then was all the trimmed weed in buckets, with H2O2, rinse with fresh water, dip in a water and lemon juice bath, rinse again and hang to dry. After a few days hanging, I'd do my final trim, dry in brown bags, then jar and cure.

I grew most of my plants outside where I built a board fenced enclosure for privacy but a dirt road runs by my property so the plants get dusty and insects and birds occasionally get droppings on the plants so I decided to wash from now on before drying the harvested weed. Never have any issues with mold while drying and curing that way.

Using the dry ice was so much easier. I only had to use one bubble bag, did very little stirring of the contents after a few minutes of it breaking down the weed and just shook the bag occasionally and the product just started dropping into the large white bucket I had the bag in. Then I would remove the bag and the resulting material would be coating the bottom of the bucket. I'd just put the bucket on an angle, tap the bucket and everything would end up in one side of the bucket to be scooped out. No need to dry it like when using ice and water.

I have read that the dry ice method yields more but that subjectively and perhaps objectively, the bubble stuff might be a little bit more potent because the cold water might wash down some associated compounds that you don’t get with just the dry ice extraction. But the dry ice method sure sounds like it will do everything I wanted to do. How large wear your hash “pucks?”
The stuff I made with ice and water didn't yield as much as dry ice and was a lot more work but seems very potent.

The hash I made with dry ice yielded so much more, but I was also processing just a bag of trim I had in my freezer since last October or November. I'm not sure of the amount I had in the bag but I ended up with more than an ounce of hash when I finished pressing it all in the two pollen presses I used.

The one press had resin leaking out of the pressed hash. I had dried the trim in a brown paper bag and it was setting in my basement for a month or more while I was harvesting and trimming two pounds of buds over several weeks in staggered harvest and I added my final trimmings to the bag as I completed each harvest.

I wasted the majority of trim while harvesting and trimming colas outside, just letting it drop to the ground. I'd then was all the trimmed weed in buckets, with H2O2, rinse with fresh water, dip in a water and lemon juice bath, rinse again and hang to dry. After a few days hanging, I'd do my final trim, dry in brown bags, then jar and cure.

I grew most of my plants outside where I built a board fenced enclosure for privacy but a dirt road runs by my property so the plants get dusty and insects and birds occasionally get droppings on the plants so I decided to wash from now on before drying the harvested weed. Never have any issues with mold while drying and curing that way.

Using the dry ice was so much easier. I only had to use one bubble bag, did very little stirring of the contents after a few minutes of it breaking down the weed and just shook the bag occasionally and the product just started dropping into the large white bucket I had the bag in. Then I would remove the bag and the resulting material would be coating the bottom of the bucket. I'd just put the bucket on an angle, tap the bucket and everything would end up in one side of the bucket to be scooped out. No need to dry it like when using ice and water.

How large wear your hash “pucks?”

I have two different types and sizes of pollen presses so the sizes vary. I also loaded them with varying amounts of kief, some more than others. I just pulled some out and weighed them. Anywhere from 1 gram to 3 1/2 grams.

IMG_20200411_113631.jpg

So once you get those little pucks, could you roll them into balls relatively easily or do they come out too dense?
I have two different types and sizes of pollen presses so the sizes vary. I also loaded them with varying amounts of kief, some more than others. I just pulled some out and weighed them. Anywhere from 1 gram to 3 1/2 grams.

View attachment 1181722

So once you get those little pucks, could you roll them into balls relatively easily or do they come out too dense?
The slightly larger pollen press doesn't press the pucks very much. The resulting it has is almost like a doughy consistency. Pieces pull off easily, I don't know if you could roll it into a ball, probably.

The smaller ones, I used an aluminum screw type pollen press and the hardness of the puck is determined by how much you screw it down. I am smoking one of the thinnest pucks right now and it is hard and the pieces snap off. When I have them in the press I put them in an oven for a few minutes to warm on lowest temperature and then screw it a bit tighter on some of them. They probably didn't all turn out exactly the same.

The one I am smoking now was the thinnest I did so I don't know about the other ones but this one is hard and if lit well it continues to burn like a piece of incense. I just put a piece of each of the two hash pucks I have been smoking in a pipe and took a few hits and I'm definitely buzzing from just about 4 hits. A tiny bit of ice water hash and a tiny bit of dry ice hash. Probably smoked just a bit of what is in the pipe and I flying. Going to smoke a bit more shortly.

Smoking hash doesn't make me cough like smoking straight weed. I'm tempted to order some more food online from the company I did about a month ago just to get the pounds of dry ice in the cooler to use in making some has out off the actual buds I have jarred up before it starts losing potency.

All this hash I have now I made from trim. I made cannaoil from buds and a teaspoon or two or a small brownie made with cannaoil has got me so wasted I couldn't keep my eyes open and my whole body was buzzing. I ate several whole brownies one night the first time I made them an thought I was going to die. Found out just a one inch brownie would get me buzzed.

I have read that the dry ice method yields more but that subjectively and perhaps objectively.

I noticed that the dry ice breaks the plant down to tiny bits of material that will pass through the higher number bubble bags but I'm not trying for any full melt hash. I wouldn't even know how to smoke something like that. The hash I make reminds me of the hash from the 70's and 80's I had access to. It also seems like a better option to store for long periods since it is easily frozen.

Back