Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

Nice job there mate.
I have about 300g of kief that I'd like to turn into balls of hash like yours but I'm not quite sure how to get it done. I made the kief with dry ice and a 160 micron bubble bag, but aren't sure how much plant matter is in there. I tried heating up some kief in an oven on a low temperature and using a rolling pin to flatten, but it didn't work very well. It went sort of hard but didn't turn any darker. Do you have any suggestions?

I had to fold mine loads of times, and kept up the heat and pressure. After a while it turned colour, but took ages by hand and was only 10g. I wouldn't fancy doing 300g that way, unless you have the time and patience for it. For that amount you would need a decent press, which can be expensive if this is only going to be a one off.

Nice job there mate.
I have about 300g of kief that I'd like to turn into balls of hash like yours but I'm not quite sure how to get it done. I made the kief with dry ice and a 160 micron bubble bag, but aren't sure how much plant matter is in there. I tried heating up some kief in an oven on a low temperature and using a rolling pin to flatten, but it didn't work very well. It went sort of hard but didn't turn any darker. Do you have any suggestions?

whats the colour of the kief ? a light tan = real nice...brownish = ok ....if it has a green tinge = will be real hard to press or form into balls.
its why i dont like dry ice method,bud in a blender if ya dont stop shaking.10 sec/10 sec/30 sec/30 sec/1min/2mins/and then 20 minures if ya want to.each run will get darker/greener and less quality/potent.

That video won’t play for me. As for old-school hash and pressing, Moroccan Hash was traditionally Rolled into a ball,wrapped in some kind of burlap and then heated over a fire gently. I was reading somewhere that most hash that we get in the “surfboard”’form Didn’t actually start out that way. Apparently, at times, even the hand rubbed temple ball style hash comes out of south Asia would get squashed into flat pieces for export.

i dont know and dont want to know what country you from.sometimes utube has dif settings for dif countries...try search for dank dutchess frenchy canola bubblyman john befelo d420k dry sift wizard.
a few dif types of traditional hash...

good tune :pighug:

I had to fold mine loads of times, and kept up the heat and pressure. After a while it turned colour, but took ages by hand and was only 10g. I wouldn't fancy doing 300g that way, unless you have the time and patience for it. For that amount you would need a decent press, which can be expensive if this is only going to be a one off.

anyone with a fancy 4/10/20 ton rosin press can easily turn some powder into a solid block.i wouldnt fancy working with 300g either.
half assed attempt https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...la-but-then-gives-up-and-rolls-a-joint.69939/
good luck n keep er lit
:pighug:

I recently bought one of these:

I was very disappointed in its efficiency after one small trial.
Apparently the tumbling action inside its circular sifting drum isn't violent enough to shake off much kief.
I'll try again using max speed.

I recently bought one of these:

I was very disappointed in its efficiency after one small trial.
Apparently the tumbling action inside its circular sifting drum isn't violent enough to shake off much kief.
I'll try again using max speed.
Did you put the entire thing in the freezer or room temp? I'm disapointed too as i was about to make one...
Also,what microns size where you using?

One other thing that I read was that the absolute best hash you could ever get back in the old days was probably no more Potent then typical good bud that you can fine today and that was the exception. The numbers that I have seen for the THC content of traditional hashish range from 1% to 8-9% Which would, from what I have read, put them in the same range as the weed that was available back then Ranging from bale/brick pot to good seedless weed. I watched a video of hash weed being harvested in the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon and quite recently because one of the farmers was talking about how people making money from growing weed for hash interfered with Hezbollah’s recruiting because they could make the same $600 a month that those guys paid and not Have to die in Syria fighting ISIS and the Israelis. The plants were single main cola stems maybe about 4 to 5 feet tall and they had seeds. So it does make me wonder if those folks could get hash with 75 to 99% “impurities”’to hold together, how much trouble should we be having getting even “bad“ hash with a THC level of maybe 40-50% THC to stick? Call me an old fart, but what most people appear to call hashish which is to say the “full melt “substance is not, in my mind, hashish. It is trichome heads. Traditional hashish can either be slightly dried by heatinf the edge of a piece with a flame and then crumbled into a joint, pipe or a cigarette, (learned that in Amsterdam)!or it can be sliced off the larger chunk and be stuck on a pin and burned like incense where you light it, let the small flame burn briefly on the corner, and then blow it out. Back in the early 80s, we used to consume Lebanese hash by putting a piece on a sharpened light gauge finishing nail that has been driven into a home made device made from a 4 x 4 piece of 2 x 4 which had a 90 degree hole drilled into it for a piece of plastic tubing and an old fashioned glass that said over the top to catch the smoke. We cut a notch for a “carb hole“ so that the glass did not have to be removed to smoke the hash. Even if you could get the contemporary substance to stick like that, the amounts that we used would’ve probably paralyzed everyone in the neighborhood. LOL point being that traditional hash contained a lot of plant material and, in some cases, that was probably the least disgusting contaminants that you would find. Case in point. If you watch the video showing how traditional hash and it’s made in Pakistan, the first thing that the fellow does after he puts the metal tray over the burner is the add some kind of oil to it. I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s not hash oil. You don’t need a whole lot of liquid or other melting stuff to “plasticize “a substance. Modern plastic explosives or a prime example of that. They may only have a few percentage points of binder/plasticizer, yet they end up basically having the consistency of slightly hard oil based modeling clay.

Last edited:
Regarding determining the composition, such as trichome content, of kief/hash (mentioned several times). I presume if you examine it with the same microscope(s) you use to closely examine buds/trichomes, you should be able to get good idea of trichomes vs. plant matter.

Just for kicks, I tried to find more current numbers for traditional hashish. The most recent that I could find we’re from the EU in 2011. Europe still appears to be the biggest commercial hash market in the world and I did read something that said that in much of the region, hashish is still the preferred form of cannabis among the majority of consumers Even with all of the really good flower available there now. The report I saw said that of all seized hashish reported in that year, the potency ranged anywhere from 4% to over 18% THC. Back in the old days, I suspect that those of us who had halfway decent access to hash would have considered the 4% stuff to be marginal and the 18% stuff to be the super unobtainable
temple ball stuff or what have you.

im almost sure it was just water that was added in the video.
its the fuckwits in uk/europe that add the rubber/plastic/shoe polish/powdered glass and re press.
in my neck of the woods you couldnt get bud for love nor money between 1980 and 2000 only thing available was block hash.soapbar,pollum,squidy black,gold seal red seal.the stuff that came in 9bars.
hash is in theory supposed to be the trichromes.but but seperating the trichomes from everything else is the tricky part.
eg. put a 10 gram bud in a coffee blender.you end up with 10 g of hash 100% hash great return/numbers....but its the shitist hash ever as 9 g is just green stuff and 1g is trichs.0 star hash
fullmelt or 6 star is highly refined hash/dry sift/kief..9/10 times left in powder for or if the quaility is there finger and thumb heat and pressure is enough to turn dust into a dab..like 150/120/90/73/54/25 micron screens and then using static to seperate the trichome heads from the cap stalks.
a quick run through said screens can get ya a tiny amount of 6 star a lil bit more 5 * a bit more 4* dabbable yes,but at that point i use 3 and under for cooking....decarbing concentrates/extracts dont stink anywhere near as much as bud :baked:
keep er lit
:pighug:

Hash has been around for at least 900 years as that is when it is first mentioned in Arabic/Persian accounts. That likely means that it has been around for considerably longer. Another thing that I found interesting was a claim that hashish was probably not smoked until tobacco was introduced from the New World. That would be sometime in the sixteenth Century I would guess. With that said, I have the sneaking suspicion that this whole full melt grade 6 what have you substance that were calling hash today probably didn’t existUntil very recently. I suspect that it still doesn’t exist as a commerci product in most of the traditional hash producing areas of the world.

Did you put the entire thing in the freezer or room temp? I'm disapointed too as i was about to make one...
Also,what microns size where you using?

I put everything in the freezer.
The mesh cylinder that holds the herb has diameter 3.5 inches.
Herb falling thru only that small distance doesn't hit the sides fast enough to shake off many of the trichomes.
The 150 micron mesh was out of stock, so I got the 180 micron that should've let more thru.
After running that machine, I used the same herb in a kief shaker, and got about 10 times as much (dirtier) kief in the same amount of time.

I originally ordered this from a hydro company

Their $300 price was apparently too low for them, because they cancelled my order a few days later, forcing me to get this one instead.

My experience is that a few minutes of shaking of freezer cold material in freezer-cold bubble bags or bowls does very well.
Problem is trichomes go flying everywhere.

In about a week I'll be using 5 gal bubble bags in a 5 gal bucket with the lid to keep buds/trim from escaping.
Buckets won't fit in my freezer, but the herb will.
And then use the bucket with the open end on top, larger micron sizes higher up, lid on, and catch kief at the bottom of the bucket, like the ice-water kief makers.
There are a lot of too-small commercial kief boxes that do this too.

Back