Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

I have a ton of trim and a Trim Bin with a 150 micron screen. I'm looking for the most basic way of making basic (low grade) hash that doesn't require a pollen press, ice, stove etc. I do have a vice that I can use but other than that I'm looking to do this as simply as possible just to get my feet wet. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

hmm 2 similar sections ?

low grade hash/dry sift/kief is one and the same thing.in traditional form it is cold pressed with tons and tons of pressure,and turns dark brown.
thinking of getting a thumb screw pollen press ? dont bother its a pollen press not a hash press (clue in the name) not worth it at 1/4 the price.
the bottom of a grinder kief approx 150 microns (space case) 1.JPG2 (2).JPG
pressed hash is a solid lump.
i rarely press my kief/dry sift/kief if its gonna be a joint,bowl topping,or even a dab :baked:
easiest way....if ya got kief a sandwhich bag,an empty bottle and a full kettle ya good :thumbsup: something like this
keep er lit
:pighug:

hmm 2 similar sections ?

low grade hash/dry sift/kief is one and the same thing.in traditional form it is cold pressed with tons and tons of pressure,and turns dark brown.
thinking of getting a thumb screw pollen press ? dont bother its a pollen press not a hash press (clue in the name) not worth it at 1/4 the price.
the bottom of a grinder kief approx 150 microns (space case) View attachment 1177833View attachment 1177834
pressed hash is a solid lump.
i rarely press my kief/dry sift/kief if its gonna be a joint,bowl topping,or even a dab :baked:
easiest way....if ya got kief a sandwhich bag,an empty bottle and a full kettle ya good :thumbsup: something like this
keep er lit
:pighug:

Awesome, thanks so much for the info and that vid!

Alright then, this Temple Ball stuff has been rolling around my head & with corona virus, not being allowed out, and boredom, I thought I'm going do my own version based around a few different methods.

First I took approx 8g of dry sift kief. As this is a little difficult to bind together without a press, I thought I'd use a binding agent to get things started.

full

For the binding I used some oil made from ISO, approx 2g. This has been well purged.

full

I dipped the oil in the kief, and then proceeded to mix it.

full

Eventually it all began to stick together with a bit of pressing, and I ended with this result.

full

I then put the mix into a bag, and stand on it till it flattens. I then fold it in half, stand on it again.

full

The mix begins to proper turn brown.

full

Then after a few more turns, we end up with this beauty.

full

Happy with the results so far, I roll it into a ball.

full

full

full

A bit more rolling around in the hand. It feels quite soft now.

full

I roll it about on a metal lid, to give sheen.

full

Boom.

full

Now to keep my hand of it, till curing is over.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Nice job there mate.
I have about 300g of kief that I'd like to turn into balls of hash like yours but I'm not quite sure how to get it done. I made the kief with dry ice and a 160 micron bubble bag, but aren't sure how much plant matter is in there. I tried heating up some kief in an oven on a low temperature and using a rolling pin to flatten, but it didn't work very well. It went sort of hard but didn't turn any darker. Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited:
That video won’t play for me. As for old-school hash and pressing, Moroccan Hash was traditionally Rolled into a ball,wrapped in some kind of burlap and then heated over a fire gently. I was reading somewhere that most hash that we get in the “surfboard”’form Didn’t actually start out that way. Apparently, at times, even the hand rubbed temple ball style hash comes out of south Asia would get squashed into flat pieces for export.

Ok.
My 12 grams are dry and not sticky after 48 hrs of room drying.
What are my options now?
Does it need to cure some more like you guys temple balls?
About rolling a bottle of boiling water like Frenchy Cannoli ?

Signed: Don t know what to do next!View attachment 1174861

That looks top dollar to me mate, personally I'd just be hitting it now to see how it is. If you need to store it, then in the freezer (ice free is best). Make sure the hash is dry, so crystallising water does not screw with it. As for curing, not sure on that. It seems to be different for various methods, but after reading about the rate degradation in hash I usually just freeze everything.

I threw most of my trim out on the ground after harvesting last fall but I had a paper bag full of trim I had dried and thrown into my freezer. Today while on corona virus lockdown I received a big cooler of food from a company I ordered from online. In the cooler were 4 blocks of dry ice and I figured there was no sense in letting all that dry ice go to waste since I can't source any locally.

I got my bag of trim out of my deep freeze, put it into bucket lined with bubble bags, broke up the dry ice and gave it a shake off and on during the afternoon. I ended up with 1.5 ounces of kief. I've searched everywhere and can't find where I put my pollen press since I used it last. I processed two ounces of trim and larf a couple on months back with ice and water and only yielded 4 grams of hash after drying and pressing.

44 grams is what I ended up with today from just trim with dry ice. Makes me wonder how much I could have gotten from all the pounds of trim I just threw onto the ground last September if I had an easy source of dry ice.

You can always hard rub the trim mate, if you have no ice. Well worth it.

Found my pollen press after buying another. Ended up with about 1 1/4 ounces. Haven't tried any that I got through dry ice extraction yet but it sure leaked plenty of resin while pressing. In the picture the hash puck I've been taking pieces off of is from an ice water extraction I did previously that is really good but way too much work. The dry ice extraction was so much easier but I'll have to smoke some an find out how it is coming from just trim.
View attachment 1177632

Very nice.

Back