Outdoor First outdoor winter grow. Southern hemisphere

Sorry to hear about that mate. I was hit by caterpillars just a few weeks back. I lost maybe 10% of my buds on the C+ 2.0 auto because caterpillars tunnelled into them, ate them, and caused mould to form around the damaged areas. But they didn't touch the Quick Critical stood right next to it, maybe because that plant wasn't in flower at the time. I think they have a tendency to munch on budding plants. They also attacked a Stardawg auto as well which I only managed to salvage a few grams from. Right annoying little fuckers!

IMG_9052.jpg

IMG_9049.jpg

This is a Death's Head Hawk Moth larvae. I think. I even went as far as using pest spray, and neem oil, but neither worked. I was even going out on a near daily basis picking them off the plants and putting them in a bag before leaving them on the road for the birds to eat. But still they kept devouring those same plants. No point in trying chilli as the caterpillars have eaten my Padron peppers & Carolina Reapers this year. They have even munched right through the pepper pods and hollowed them out.

But some plants just seem to get left alone, even ones that are right next to others that are affected. Kind of weird. No idea what you can do about it for future reference. Maybe ensure you plant far away from trees, in an open field, where they are less likely to drop down, or get close to...? And just do more plants overall to hedge your bets. More plants, spread out, in a better location will surely increase the probability of getting some to harvest before the putrid little critters feast on them...

I hear you on more plants to spread the risk, I have been dropping 6 beans a month but I think I will start 8 this month and maybe another 8 next month. I'm just lucky they only really wiped out anything heavy in flower and left my younger plants alone!!
Sorry to hear about that mate. I was hit by caterpillars just a few weeks back. I lost maybe 10% of my buds on the C+ 2.0 auto because caterpillars tunnelled into them, ate them, and caused mould to form around the damaged areas. But they didn't touch the Quick Critical stood right next to it, maybe because that plant wasn't in flower at the time. I think they have a tendency to munch on budding plants. They also attacked a Stardawg auto as well which I only managed to salvage a few grams from. Right annoying little fuckers!

View attachment 951486
View attachment 951487

This is a Death's Head Hawk Moth larvae. I think. I even went as far as using pest spray, and neem oil, but neither worked. I was even going out on a near daily basis picking them off the plants and putting them in a bag before leaving them on the road for the birds to eat. But still they kept devouring those same plants. No point in trying chilli as the caterpillars have eaten my Padron peppers & Carolina Reapers this year. They have even munched right through the pepper pods and hollowed them out.

But some plants just seem to get left alone, even ones that are right next to others that are affected. Kind of weird. No idea what you can do about it for future reference. Maybe ensure you plant far away from trees, in an open field, where they are less likely to drop down, or get close to...? And just do more plants overall to hedge your bets. More plants, spread out, in a better location will surely increase the probability of getting some to harvest before the putrid little critters feast on them...

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

I would not recommend Himalayan blue diesel outdoor it seemed to be the worst strain attacked by the little shitters, even one young hbd was wiped out and it was just in flower. The most resilient strains seemed to be the heavy indica plants
As always some strains certain bugs seem to like and some they don't! @Waira would be the man to help you out with caterpillar advice.

I would not recommend Himalayan blue diesel outdoor it seemed to be the worst strain attacked by the little shitters, even one young hbd was wiped out and it was just in flower. The most resilient strains seemed to be the heavy indica plants

Every grow it will be like that...ideal and not ideal strains sorted through one by one. I find the same things with our bugs. Some they like, some they don't. Ive been trying to put the connection together for years.

Every grow it will be like that...ideal and not ideal strains sorted through one by one. I find the same things with our bugs. Some they like, some they don't. Ive been trying to put the connection together for years.
Good old trial and error!! At the moment it's indica for the win...it seems to resist heat and bugs so far, plus I like the buzz more. I'm just glad I already have a bit of a supply already in jars!! Maybe after a few years i might get this growing thing dialed in haha....i do no that persistence beats resistance!!!

Good old trial and error!! At the moment it's indica for the win...it seems to resist heat and bugs so far, plus I like the buzz more. I'm just glad I already have a bit of a supply already in jars!! Maybe after a few years i might get this growing thing dialed in haha....i do no that persistence beats resistance!!!

Trust me man...it took a couple of seasons before i got to where i am!! Sounds like indicas for the win for sure!! Night queen for sure man!!

This is also where a good journal is key....sometimes you can select early finishers and avoid the caterpillar plagues! And of course for strains that they dont seem to like...organize your plan and make every successive season better than the last!

Trust me man...it took a couple of seasons before i got to where i am!! Sounds like indicas for the win for sure!! Night queen for sure man!!
I will be putting in some night queen for sure this year. I just put some photo WW seeds in paper towels to grow some beasts this summer!!

Back