Outdoor First outdoor winter grow. Southern hemisphere

I just put some photo WW seeds in paper towels to grow some beasts this summer!!

Have you had good success with the WW outdoors? I LOVE the WW, but always struggled with it outside. Crosses with widow in it seem to do far better than the original pure strain ever did(for me). Mega frost for sure, but damn mold was always an issue on the WW's.

This is also where a good journal is key....sometimes you can select early finishers and avoid the caterpillar plagues! And of course for strains that they dont seem to like...organize your plan and make every successive season better than the last!
You hit the nail on the head there man, adapt and overcome adversity! I had a bad feeling about bugs the other day when I seen a few show up in the veggie garden. Bugs are usually bad at the beginning of spring here on the veggies until it rains and the feilds green up.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

You hit the nail on the head there man, adapt and overcome adversity! I had a bad feeling about bugs the other day when I seen a few show up in the veggie garden. Bugs are usually bad at the beginning of spring here on the veggies until it rains and the feilds green up.

Its never easy to give advice to someone on the other side of the world, which is why its often best to instead help guide them along in their own path to figuring it all out instead. Sometimes just an alternative way of thinking is all that is needed to advance your grow to a higher level of success.

Some folks will never have what it takes to elevate their grows to incredible status, but then there is other folks when i meet them i know they will right away. Go get 'em man! Its a drive to improve which will prevail after time progresses your grows.

Have you had good success with the WW outdoors? I LOVE the WW, but always struggled with it outside. Crosses with widow in it seem to do far better than the original pure strain ever did(for me). Mega frost for sure, but damn mold was always an issue on the WW's.
This will be the first time trying it, im hoping mould should be ok as autumn here has pretty low humidity(humidity in summer here is very bad) I just thought I already have the beans i may as well give them a try, if it goes to shit i will try some WW in the winter when humidity isn't a problem.

This will be the first time trying it, im hoping mould should be ok as autumn here has pretty low humidity(humidity in summer here is very bad) I just thought I already have the beans i may as well give them a try, if it goes to shit i will try some WW in the winter when humidity isn't a problem.

Good stuff...which breeder of WW is it you have?

Thanks man, the advice I get from you is priceless!! After reading a lot of your journals I have definitely learned not to give up when things go to shit!! You have mastered growing in some tough climate conditions which makes me believe i can to. The WW beans i just dropped were from vision seeds, have you ever tried vision?

Thanks man, the advice I get from you is priceless!! After reading a lot of your journals I have definitely learned not to give up when things go to shit!! You have mastered growing in some tough climate conditions which makes me believe i can to. The WW beans i just dropped were from vision seeds, have you ever tried vision?

Struggling is the way of the outdoor grower. Even those that live in fairly ideal climates will have some challenges to overcome. Never give up. I have heard guys around here say that "you can't grow good weed outdoors around here" LOL....thats one of those times i just need to say absolutely nothing, why? Because they have already been defeated in their own minds. I can't help folks like that.

Vision - nope never tried vision...seen a few grows with vision autos that looked pretty good...hope they work out great for you!

Good old trial and error!! At the moment it's indica for the win...it seems to resist heat and bugs so far, plus I like the buzz more. I'm just glad I already have a bit of a supply already in jars!! Maybe after a few years i might get this growing thing dialed in haha....i do no that persistence beats resistance!!!

Trust me mate, it doesn't matter how many years you've been growing... you are always going to get new challenges and obstacles, or the same issues rearing their ugly head... and unforeseen problems. It's just part of outdoor growing.

If it's not deer eating your plants, it's rabbits. Or rats! Or a kangaroo! If it's not mammals, it's slugs and snails. If it's neither of them, it's caterpillars. Or other bugs. Or a strong gust of wind snaps your plant in half. Or it's massive flooding, or a heatwave. Or hail stones. Or the plant just gets affected by a deficiency, or illness, and withers away and dies. Or mould ravages your buds. And if it's none of that... it's thieves stealing your plants. Or someone discovering your crop and tipping off the police. Or construction workers clearing the land. Simply put... I have never had a season, free of major issues and plant losses. You're always going to encounter something, so don't get dejected when you do experience losses. Growing on your own property minimises those risks enormously, providing it is legal where you are. Unfortunately that is not the case in the UK & Oz.

The bottom line is to always expect some losses, which is why it is never a good idea to just put 1 or 2 plants outdoors. You will encounter certain problems in your first and second years, and learn to refine your technique to help prevent those issues, only for different problems to appear the following year. And so on. Then you get all these different issues under wraps, and think you're bulletproof and fully prepared for the season ahead, only to get caught out by the same problems again. Or another new problem rears it's head. In my case, it was the caterpillars this year.

My first year growing, I started out with 15 plants and only got 3 to harvest with 80% losses. This year my losses are at around 20% due to slugs/snails munching 2 seedlings and the caterpillars devastating one of my autos. Also, I know a big time grower on a different forum that has been growing outdoors for 10 years+, and he has just lost 50% of his plants this past week. So always expect the unexpected and account for losses. Sounds like you're planning for that though by putting out decent numbers. If I was you, I would also be caging my plants with wire mesh. Otherwise next year you might find out why so many of us outdoor growers have to put wire mesh around our plants...

All the best :thumbsup:

And aphids too[emoji35][emoji91][emoji379][emoji43]

Sent[emoji297][emoji100][emoji482]

Hopefully i don't have to worry about to many critters eating the girls as i have an electric fence around my grow area. I'm seriously considering building a shade cloth enclosure to keep the butterflies from being able to lay any eggs on my plants, the only problem is that would be visible from a long way away, I don't have to worry too much about stealth as I'm in the middle of nowhere. However we do use helicopters from time to time to muster cattle and I would rather not have to explain what a greenhouse is doing in the middle of nowhere. I guess I will just have to find strains with good bug resistance that do well in my climate.
Trust me mate, it doesn't matter how many years you've been growing... you are always going to get new challenges and obstacles, or the same issues rearing their ugly head... and unforeseen problems. It's just part of outdoor growing.

If it's not deer eating your plants, it's rabbits. Or rats! Or a kangaroo! If it's not mammals, it's slugs and snails. If it's neither of them, it's caterpillars. Or other bugs. Or a strong gust of wind snaps your plant in half. Or it's massive flooding, or a heatwave. Or hail stones. Or the plant just gets affected by a deficiency, or illness, and withers away and dies. Or mould ravages your buds. And if it's none of that... it's thieves stealing your plants. Or someone discovering your crop and tipping off the police. Or construction workers clearing the land. Simply put... I have never had a season, free of major issues and plant losses. You're always going to encounter something, so don't get dejected when you do experience losses. Growing on your own property minimises those risks enormously, providing it is legal where you are. Unfortunately that is not the case in the UK & Oz.

The bottom line is to always expect some losses, which is why it is never a good idea to just put 1 or 2 plants outdoors. You will encounter certain problems in your first and second years, and learn to refine your technique to help prevent those issues, only for different problems to appear the following year. And so on. Then you get all these different issues under wraps, and think you're bulletproof and fully prepared for the season ahead, only to get caught out by the same problems again. Or another new problem rears it's head. In my case, it was the caterpillars this year.

My first year growing, I started out with 15 plants and only got 3 to harvest with 80% losses. This year my losses are at around 20% due to slugs/snails munching 2 seedlings and the caterpillars devastating one of my autos. Also, I know a big time grower on a different forum that has been growing outdoors for 10 years+, and he has just lost 50% of his plants this past week. So always expect the unexpected and account for losses. Sounds like you're planning for that though by putting out decent numbers. If I was you, I would also be caging my plants with wire mesh. Otherwise next year you might find out why so many of us outdoor growers have to put wire mesh around our plants...

All the best [emoji106]

Back