New Grower First auto after 22 year break!

With regards to growing towards the light. I have relistended to the lecture I posted and I see that it is not that the plant is growing towards the light it's that the plant stops growing on one side. The tip sends down growth hormones evenly to the stem causing it to grow, but when there is an imbalance on one side of the plant, the light imbalance causes the growth hormones to migrate to the dark side, so the light side has no hormones and stops growing while the dark side continues to grow giving the erroneous impression it's growing towards the light. So it doesn't grow towards the light it stops growing on the light side. A bit counter intuitive.

Here's a very interesting DWC grow that is pretty impressive. https://tinyurl.com/DWC-grow-diary

Beginning of Week 5 today, Day 29. No sign of flowers, but I should be seeing them by the end of this week, even with a single topping this OG Kush really should be showing its sex by day 32. If it doesn't then that's either really good, or really bad. I won't know till the fat lady sings.

I'm only using the three GH Flora nutrients, with no other stuff, my personal gut reaction (i.e. meaningless conjecture) says all these secret herbs and spices that some people give their plants with 10 different bottles of secret sauce, are all bullshit. My grows in the 90's never needed any of it to produce top shelf product. I gave a clone to a friend who set up a grow closet, and he added some product I don't know what it was it may have been called 'big bud' I'm not sure, but his plant produced very badly and it had a stem all the way up that was about 3" in diameters. WTF, since I saw that, I steer well clear of additives.

Anyway I have mixed up some fresh nutrient and instead of using the recommended GH ratios, I am using the sensei seed recommended GH ratios found here https://www.sensigarden.com/general-hydroponics-flora-series/ however while I'm using their ratios, I'm not using their dilution, which seem to be too strong. I've reduced their quantity of concentrate by 40% and ended up with a concentration of 940ppm which seems plenty strong enough to me, especially as I have now started using rainwater with 35ppm instead of tap water at 140ppm.

I have also pulled out all my jets and replaced them with jets that break the water up better. What I really want is a true misting jet, which is the reason I got such a powerful pump when I didn't really need it. What I am wanting to achieve is for the roots to some out of the side of the pot. Now that I see the new jets, I probably don't need the air stone.

But while I had the plant out in the daylight on the kitchen table I was able to do some more LST work on it. I took a few leaves off last night nothing too dramatic and I took a few more lower early fan leaves off that weren't getting much light anyway so I can get better air circulation as I've heard this OG is susceptible to mildew.

I have absolutely no idea whatever what to expect of this harvest. I've seen some poor grows of a different OG Kush that only yielded about an ounce and a half. I'm expecting a bit better than that but I don't know how much better, can anyone here attempt a ball park guess as to what I may expect from this harvest taking into account what it looks like right now? At first I was hoping for maybe 7 oz but from what I've seen I think that is wildly optimistic now. I'd be pretty disappointed if I could not get 3 oz though.

View attachment 964417 View attachment 964425 View attachment 964423 View attachment 964424

The reason I use the FloraNova line is
because NO mixing and measuring is necessary at all. Just a grow and flower bottle. I do add Epsom salt and have hard tap water, so calmag deficiencies are rare, but happens sometimes with individual phenos.
Nice work on the defol and LST, give her 3-4 days rest and she'll produce the bits. Yield depends how you treat her, easy 100 g with that foundation I think

OK I'm reading the article but I've hit a problem right away when they state... According to the Law of Conservation of Energy, energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only change forms. Try telling that to the particle physicists at CERN. The conservation of Energy, and the Conservation of mass was a 19th century concept. Just like space and time were separate and are now the same thing called spacetime, just like electricity and magnetism were once thought to be different but are now combined into electromagnetism, so now we have the conservation of mass energy. Pure kinetic energy, the energy of motion can disappear, and matter can be created, and vice versa. The sun is continually eliminating 4 million tonnes of mass every second and radiating energy in the form of massless photon. This mass that it loses is in the form of the binding energy. Back to the article now. Space and Time are relative but Spacetime is absolute.
Indeed, a few of those photons are stored as chemical energy in the plant, gasoline is stored sunlight ... When you drive its converted into heat in an expansive way.

With regards to growing towards the light. I have relistended to the lecture I posted and I see that it is not that the plant is growing towards the light it's that the plant stops growing on one side. The tip sends down growth hormones evenly to the stem causing it to grow, but when there is an imbalance on one side of the plant, the light imbalance causes the growth hormones to migrate to the dark side, so the light side has no hormones and stops growing while the dark side continues to grow giving the erroneous impression it's growing towards the light. So it doesn't grow towards the light it stops growing on the light side. A bit counter intuitive.
Yep, by keeping the light vertically distant creates a dark "side" all around, so all "sides" grow all the time or something like that. At least it's what I see so I'm pretty sure it works, one way or the other haha

Yep, by keeping the light vertically distant creates a dark "side" all around, so all "sides" grow all the time or something like that. At least it's what I see so I'm pretty sure it works, one way or the other haha

But that is not how it works. The auxin is sent down to the stuff below the tip, it already diffuses all around the stem, that is its default position whether it's 'dark' all around, or 'light' all around. However when there is an imbalance then the auxin migrates to the side that is most dark, and stops the cells on the lighter side from growing.

Thanks for the info on what yield I may expect, I was pretty pleased with the LST, I didn't really defoliate very much at all, and when I looked at the plant 2 hours later, you couldn't see through the canopy at all. It looked like it did before the defoliation and LST. But at least I can see all eight tips. Wilful as this plant is, it's not as wilful as me, so I opened her up again. From looking at someone else DWC and the development of this particular grow, it looks like the 'stretch is going to happen at week 6 and 7. I'll very interested to see what this looks like in a week.

Attachments

• IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
On my ChilLED Tech light I have a controller that lets me pick between 0.0% to 100% for each band. SO I could only "shine" either blue or red or white. It even can have one at Zero and the others at 100% or any percentage in between. The rub is I have no PAR reader.

Hey, that ChiLED, look very very good, in fact they look like the type of spectrum that I would design myself if I knew how. Thanks for posting.

Judging by my grows in the 90's using the Son T Agro that veged like a champion and budded like a monster, and obviously was the same all the way through the entire grow, I would venture to say that because the spectrum of the ChiLED has a better blue and red peak that I would be happy to use the full spectrum all the way through the entire grow on that brand LED, and I'd only use the controller to turn down all three lights equally for when I did not need so much brightness during the seedling stage. I'm convinced that light is the absolute dog's bollox, I want one.

Last edited:
Hey, that ChiLED, look very very good, in fact they look like the type of spectrum that I would design myself if I knew how. Thanks for posting.

Judging by my grows in the 90's using the Son T Agro that veged like a champion and budded like a monster, and obviously was the same all the way through the entire grow, I would venture to say that because the spectrum of the ChiLED has a better blue and red peak that I would be happy to use the full spectrum all the way through the entire grow on that brand LED, and I'd only use the controller to turn down all three lights equally for when I did not need so much brightness during the seedling stage. I'm convinced that light is the absolute dog's bollox, I want one.
This is a great Light. Vitaly designed the spectrum and he and GrowMau5 and another young man assemble them by hand for each and every order. If you can get one you will not be disappointed. Just email them and they will listen to what you need and then advise what light may be best. I have 4 ea 100 Watt panels on my light. IMO that is all you need for a 5 x 5 x 7 tent.

PS the controller is extra. It can chain 250 lights of the one controller.

I really like ChiLED lights but it will cost me 4 x the price so it's a luxury buy a long way down the track if ever. One day though. I was thinking of making a 380nm UV LED they seem to be pretty cheap to buy the LEDs.

Day 30, I almost imagined that I saw a hint of a flower, but turns out to be a false alarm. I have cut the blue down to 50% which is still very blue anyway. She's started chewing through the nutrients, already gone down 70ppm since yesterday. I have resisted any more defoliation but I have done some aggressive lst work. So I'll put a few shots up because basically I'm just feel like whoring my girl and I'm getting pretty excited about it all now so cut me some slack.

This is a 90 x 60cm space which the 700W LED, (320W at the wall) should cover. Although it will be a bit less than that now the blue is down to half. Lights are at 18" so prolly about 900µMol in the centre. I'm going to do two autoflowers in this space (about 2.5 square feet for each plant) next run and I've decided on a different system where I can have the reservoir outside feeding both pots. Found a very interesting design set of tubs that fit into each other in various types of ways. Some shots below, basically it will be a tub filled with clay pellets, that is closed on the sides with a typical crosshatched bottom.

This tub can sit almost at the bottom but it can also sit higher, which is what I've done, I've marked a yellow line where the bottom of the tub sits with the expanded clay, and I have put a high drain hose in so that when the roots emerge they will have about 3" of water to sit in so another type of hybrid shallow water culture/expanded clay, It will be top fed with a halo on legs, this should work well. It's 25" high as the lowest pot is just a stand, this will allow me to keep a large reservoir outside so this will be much easier to manage.

IMG_0835.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_8344.JPG
    DSC_8344.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 126
OK I have bitten the bullet and have got for a defoliate seeing as it's still vegging and healthy and the roots are looking good. I'll see how it recovers.

Before and After shots

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

Last edited:
Back