New Grower First auto after 22 year break!

It's a sudden cut throat business. I'm very impressed with the effort that Viparspectra make, they answer questions instantly, they don't take you for granted. They have a very nice spectrum spread plus warm white and cool white to cover the greens. My gut reaction says to me that this type of spectrum in a COB for efficiency is the way to go, but that just my own guess I'm not saying it's right. Really the only way to really get definitive answers is to do your own controlled experiments with clones in identical conditions. However now that the entire industry has exploded into life, I am expecting some much more precise testing. Here's a terrific video I came across yesterday while checking out this tiny leave curl. It seems to be pretty common with this OG and I've seen it on outdoor plants in normal conditions. I'm leaning to believe it is to do with the surface evaporation. I don't think it's a problem at least I'm not worried. Seeing as it's the end of the 4th week today and there's no sign of the flowers I'm hoping that I can just keep it growing enough to scrog because it's a 3x2 foot space with one plant and a light that can cover that entire area.

Day 25 earlier should have been 26. Did a bit more LST yesterday as you can see in the image and it's already hidden today. I guess the next two weeks is when it's supposed to take off. What do you think this is going to do, will it show its sex soon? Took a little bit of undergrowth out yesterday as well.
Day 28b.jpg

Attachments

• Day 27 more lst.jpg
    Day 27 more lst.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Day 28a.jpg
    Day 28a.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 19
She's looking great! Lush and bushy!

Thank's PSF, I'll pass that on to the lady.

Took off one more leaf and one shoot and a pulled to the highest branches down a bit. I'm pretty happy with it now. I have moved the fan back a bit for a more gentle breeze. All the 8 branches are either 3 or 4 inches long and the light is at 18" due to me being satisfied that the serrated edge curl is the vapour pressure from the fan rather than heat, I say this because it's occurring on some of the lowest shaded leaves while not occurring on some of the highest exposed leaves. At any rate, rather than 'stress' I think it's just it's normal reaction. I think stress occurs once the plants normal reactions are unable to solve the problem.

Regarding the White Widow photoperiod that finally sprouted a 1/4" taproot, I thought it died, I had pH'd the rockwool cube which I did not do for the OG Kush, and I thought it would be good to go, but it just sat there doing nothing for two days, the seed was right at the surface but it stayed like that, finally it moved up a bit and threw it's coat off, it was about 1/4" high, with one minute cotyledon and an yellow dead looking bigger cotyledon. I was convinced it was dead. I had a litre of full strength solution ready, so I diluted that 1:10 and injected directly into the side of the rockwool cube. Today it has greened up a bit. I thought there's supposed to be enough food in the leaves to not need anything for a while. Anyway I have a shot of it here, it's pretty funny because it so tiny, it's about 1cm tall now and it makes the 10" pot look absolutely huge. Ironically the three Hubble Bubble seeds I bought have not spouted, the OG Kush that is now growing was a free auto. At that stage I did not intend to grow an auto, I wanted to grow two different photo periods, but the cannabis gods had other plans for me now I'm infatuated with automatics. I'm a true believer. I plan on keeping this WW in a pot, now with maybe a transplant to a bigger pot later, if it makes it.

IMG_0788.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_8328.JPG
    DSC_8328.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 11
She's looking fine ready to take off, usually show sex between week 4-5.
If you're interested in VPD, and I think you're spot on with the curling fan conclusion haha, give it a good spank haha, have a look here https://www.autoflower.org/threads/pulse-labs-tester-group.62773/
Personally I can't be arsed, trying to control VPD is not easy and can be calculated without a dedicated monitor, but cool enough as a general inpocket monitor... The new version is supposed to have a better humidity sensor I saw. Still needs calibration regularly like pH sensors, you'll need a bag full of moist salt too haha

@Tony, ha. Yes, as you can see from my set up, I'm taking advantage of the benefits of automatic plants to reduce my set up to it's most basic possible level. My VPD controller consists of opening or closing the door. What I love about hydro is that there's none of the nutrient worries of soil, you mix up a good quality solution like GH that you can trust has the right micro nutrients and boom, you're golden. You can get an accurate pH and micro adjust it instantly, I just inject one tenth of one ml at a time into the solution. Change the solution once a week and you know you always have the right balance. I'm still at 520 ppm but I'm going to dump the solution tomorrow even though it prolly could go for another week because I don't know what the plant has actually used. I considered doing soil because I like the idea of having 4 pots in my little space, but in the end, for my small grow hydro is my preferred way. I can see that with your set up soil is a better way to go because of the flexibility. Next grow though I'm changing the set up I'm going to use 2 or 3 large pots filled with clay pellets and a single larger reservoir that is outside the grow room.

Regarding COB's it's just another way packaging chips, makes for smaller fixtures it's a genetic term. Makes for flexible fixtures, good for uneven canopy, it's all about your grow style . And COB's are the cheapest lights in cost per watt as of now,passive cooling too, no watts spent running redundant fans that can break and are noisy too.

Have you asked viparspectra what the efficacy is, all the other numbers are just window dressing.

@Tony, ha. Yes, as you can see from my set up, I'm taking advantage of the benefits of automatic plants to reduce my set up to it's most basic possible level. My VPD controller consists of opening or closing the door. What I love about hydro is that there's none of the nutrient worries of soil, you mix up a good quality solution like GH that you can trust has the right micro nutrients and boom, you're golden. You can get an accurate pH and micro adjust it instantly, I just inject one tenth of one ml at a time into the solution. Change the solution once a week and you know you always have the right balance. I'm still at 520 ppm but I'm going to dump the solution tomorrow even though it prolly could go for another week because I don't know what the plant has actually used. I considered doing soil because I like the idea of having 4 pots in my little space, but in the end, for my small grow hydro is my preferred way. I can see that with your set up soil is a better way to go because of the flexibility. Next grow though I'm changing the set up I'm going to use 2 or 3 large pots filled with clay pellets and a single larger reservoir that is outside the grow room.
I grow in coco, tried all the other ways... Now coco rules, clean and total control. The GH FloraNova line I use has auto pH like AN, works for me with tap water at 6.8, I never measure, no need.
I tried DWC too, but why have to throw solution away, pain in the rear, so a flooded tray that gets refilled when empty, it can't be more KISS my buds than that haha, but if it can I'm all ears.
Look here https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...ease-plant-size-and-yeild.64794/#post-1798789

I'm guessing they'd be on the good side of average. I thought the point of COB's was that you can use a single tightly focussed lens like a spotlight almost so you get very little light leak and you can beam the light right where you want it, which is what creates the efficiency. They are not expensive but they put a lot more thought into it. Like compare their first efforts to the latest PAR series, they've added separate dimmers, they have changed the fan locations from the back to the front and moved the exhaust ports to the side, they look like a company that is really thinking about how to get the best result for the price. Compared to say Mars for example that are looking very dated.

Yes, I'm always ready to simplify, I may very well go down the route you suggested. Not too fussed about the waste on my small scale, it only cost $2 to make the solution. But I may try your method in a grow tent in pots because and keep it in my bedroom which has air con.

Whether Mars and viparspectra are separate companies, is a umm separate discussion. There's still fans using power and generating heat needlessly. I found when I switched from Chinese panels to COB's, presently a mix of cree 3590 and citi 1825, my power consumption to drive the lights at the same PAR levels dropped to about half, and that's measured with a quantum meter. Sure, the viparspectra, Mars, topled, etc I had grew fine plants too, but at a higher running cost and higher temps in the tents. And a lot less flexibility

Back